🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Number1Sticky
    Participant

I would really like to do a rotation diet for my dog. But I have a few questions before I start.

1. How many types of food should I give him? Would 8 different kinds be too much?

2. When I switch his food, do I have to do it gradually? I would just buy a new bag when I ran out. So he would probably be on the same food for about a month at a time.

3. Is beef/bison/buffalo basically the same thing?

Thanks for any help!!

#18054 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Number1Sticky –

There’s no such thing as feeding too many foods! 🙂

When I fed kibble I fed a new brand with a new protein source at the end of every bag and rotated canned/dehydrated/fresh toppers daily. I had a few favorite brands that were always in rotation, however I’d try any new food that looked interesting. I now feed a homemade diet and my dogs get something different at each meal. Feed as many brands as you want.

The first couple switches you may need to do a gradual transition – 25% new/75% old for 2 – 3 days, then 50% new/50% old for 2 – 3 days, then 75% new/25% old for 2 – 3 days until you’re feeding all new. A spoonful of canned pumpkin and/or probiotics can help dogs that are having difficulty switching foods. Once you switch a few times and your dog gets used to variety you shouldn’t need to transition – I never transitioned my dog.

Beef and buffalo/bison are two different protein sources, they’re all red meat though. Technically speaking buffalo and bison are two different species, however concerning dog food I’m pretty sure it’s all bison (many use the terms interchangeably). I’d make sure you’re feeding a variety of both red meat and poultry foods – don’t do all red meat or all poultry.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #18057 Report Abuse
    soho

Hi Number1Sticky

I would stay away from anything canned unless the can specifically says it is BPA (Bisphenol A) free.

Here is an article on the dangers of cans that contain BPA:

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/magazine-archive/december-2009/food/bpa/overview/bisphenol-a-ov.htm

#18065 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I usually have 3 different bags of food open at once and either feed one at a time or mix some of it up in a large container. I also have a dozen different canned foods I’ll use as toppers. Sometimes I even give them some dehydrated foods (rehydrated, of course) mixed with some kibble and I also give them freeze dried foods as well. Hopefully once you start offering a variety, your dog will be able to eat something different at each meal without a problem. Adding probiotics and digestive enzymes will help.

#18072 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Since it takes such a short time for all of mine to go through a bag of food, I have 4 open at any given time. As we finish one something else gets rotated in. Mine get something different at every meal, kibble, fresh, and raw. If I only had one dog, I wouldn’t have so many bags open at once, but for some reason I find it fun to be able to change things up for them so much. They must like it too, because even my very picky dog has forgotten his picky ways and gobbles up every meal.

#18219 Report Abuse
    Number1Sticky
    Participant

Thank you everyone. You have all been very helpful!!

My plan is to change the protein source every bag. Also switching from red meat and poultry each bag.

I unfortunately only have one dog. So one bag lasts me about a month. So I wouldn’t want the bag to go bad. I might end up getting two bags. But we’ll see how much long a bag will last when he grows up. He’s only 10 months old right now. 🙂

#18220 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

There is a very simple solution to your dog food problem. You should adopt another dog so you don’t risk your dog food getting old. I have 3 dogs and I don’t worry about having 4 25lbs bags open at once. GFETE!!

• This reply was modified 10 years, 11 months ago by theBCnut.
    #18222 Report Abuse
    Number1Sticky
    Participant

I would love to adopt another dog. But my mom won’t let me. We have a lot of animals in the house already.

#18223 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

25-30 lb bags have around 100-120 cups of food.

#18224 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Thanks Sandy

I didn’t want to know how fast I go through 100 cups of food…

At least my husband doesn’t read this site 🙂

#18240 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

I think dog foods must range in the weight that makes up a cup by volume.

For my kibble,

1 C = 5 Ounces, so 77 cups to 24lbs

~520-570 calories/cup

#18243 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

They definitely do. Kibbe size and density both affect how many cups per lbs. The kibble I usually feed is actually about 3.5 cups per lbs. And the Earthborn I’m feeding using has dime sized flat pieces that definitely don’t fit into a cup as well, so it might be 4.5 cups per lbs.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.