๐Ÿฑ NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • Author
    weimlove
    Participant

Hi everyone, I think this would be a great place for us to list and discuss some rmb’s and recreational bones that work well for our dogs. I’m looking to broaden my dogs bone portion of his diet. Please list bones that are safe for teeth, and will not break or chip. Thanks!

#13482 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

So far, shadow has had chicken backs, necks, and leg quarters.

#13483 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Good idea weimlove!

For RMB’s my dogs get:
    -Turkey Necks
    -Chicken Backs
    -Pork Necks
    -Beef Tracheas
    -Chicken Feet
    -Duck Necks
    -Whole Rabbits
    -Whole Quail

I have found all these to be safe – don’t splinter and aren’t so hard that they’ll chip the dogs’ teeth.

#13484 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

Thanks HDM! I figured it would be nice for beginners, and to discuss any new options we find. Thanks for posting, I’ve been trying to find a safe beef rmb and I will definitely try the beef trachea. Do you ever feed chicken leg quarters? I’m do worried about breaking his teeth! ๐Ÿ™

#13487 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Chicken leg quarters are fine – I’ve given them to my dogs plenty of times. The only bones you really need to worry about for breaking teeth are weight-bearing bones from large animals (beef, bison, lamb, etc.). Poultry bones are all fully edible – at least for large dogs.

#13501 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

Ok great, thanks for all the help! Hopefully other members will post too!

#13815 Report Abuse
    abby13
    Participant

Do you get your bones from a butcher or commercial products? I’m interested in trying it out and am very open for suggestions!

#13818 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

I get my bones from a local butcher. I get chicken backs and necks for 60 cents a pound. You have to ask the butcher though because they usually keep parts like that in the back for raw feeders. I also can get ground beef for 50 cents a pound that is a few days old.

#13820 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I get my RMB’s from a meat distributor, they supply restaurants, grocery stores and kennels – the truck delivers to my house. I get chicken backs for $0.46/lb., turkey necks for $0.73/lb and pork necks for $0.68/lb.

#13866 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You can also find pork necks and marrow bones at Kroger, turkey necks at walmart, turkey backs/wings/soup bones, occasional gizzards at Sprouts. Chicken feet, pigs feet and other weird stuff at Asian/Mexican supermarkets.

#13867 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

Hdm- how convenient! I’ve been trying to find restaurant suppliers in my town but I haven’t had much luck yet.

#13869 Report Abuse
    mydogisme
    Participant

Would it be ok you think to give Dixie any of the bones for her to chew on? Thinking that any protein would be good for her as long as its not from china,and not too much. This is one thing she does miss and thats being able to chew on a doggy bone. She weighs only 15.6 pounds and we check her blood count every week since her blood transfusion. I worry about her stomach and getting sick from something that isnt clean since her immune system is so weak.

#13871 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

mydogisme,

My small dogs love gnawing on beef rib bones. They don’t eat them. They do eat pork ribs and lamb ribs though. You can trim some of the meat off if you think you need to.

#13872 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

weimlove,

Search for MBM (Martin Brower) or Bassham.

#13932 Report Abuse
    mydogisme
    Participant

Thanks! pugmomsandy!

#14201 Report Abuse
    weimlove
    Participant

Hi everyone, what recreational bones do you give that won’t break teeth?

#15709 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I give mine calf, goat, and lamb ribs too.

#22880 Report Abuse

Glad I found this thread – safe bones (for cleaning teeth) are of huge interest to me. It’s a common Greyhound problem ๐Ÿ™

#22881 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My pugs love gnawing on cow hoof too. It’s hard enough that they don’t eat it.

#23227 Report Abuse

Well the turkey neck is waiting in the fridge, so tonight’s the night. Of course we were out all morning at a huge dog event raising $ for breast cancer & he’s exhausted, but hopefully not too tired to chew ๐Ÿ™‚

#23233 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

It will probably revive him. ๐Ÿ™‚

#23235 Report Abuse

Posted on Hare Today thread… He was in Houndie heaven and sleeping it off…

#23373 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Mila just had her first pork neck bones. No hesitation. Did take a little longer than her turkey neck/hearts yesterday but she seemed to enjoy it. Very crunchy! Hopefully her poops with be fine.

#24204 Report Abuse

Suggestions for turkey neck/chicken feet replacements? Trying to back off poultry a bit, but Harry loves his witchie hands and stands by my fridge after last turn out waiting for his snack. I want to keep giving bones for his teeth. Duck feet seem like a substitute for a snack. I’ve been told that duck necks may be too small for a large Greyhound. The pork necks ^^ sound interesting, I wonder where I can get them.

#24207 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I find pork necks at Kroger. Duck necks are about 6 to 8 inches long. The ones I get anyways. Bravo sells duck necks. Maybe you can buy one to test. Although my little 30 lb dog can scarf it down in 1 minute. I’ve seen cow heads at the Mexican supermarket. I’m sure he can’t gulp that.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #24212 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I’ve been using the rabbit pieces from Hare Today. Bailey loves them. I wanted something else to use in her rotation instead of chicken backs & feet & turkey necks. I don’t think I am going to do pork/pork necks with Bailey, I just don’t have the freezer space to freeze them for 3 weeks before I feed them. I am glad I went with the rabbit. It is a bit more expensive, but I only feed it every 3rd day for dinner.

I had started using the whole dressed quail from Hare Today, but Bailey decided she didn’t like them anymore. She went on strike for dinner 2 days in a row because I gave her a quail, so I just don’t give her those anymore. Maybe she picked up my squeemish vibe and got grossed out like I was, lol! So, I have one quail left in my freezer that I don’t know what to do with….

#24213 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

My 12 lb dog does absolutely fine with chicken thighs. No problem at all. I’m hesitant to give him the legs tho, because of that splintery bone that’s in there. FreeholdHound, was that the L’Oreal fund raiser you went to? How was it? I was considering going but it’s almost a 2 hour drive for me. Do you think it was worth going?

#24216 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Neezerfan, raw bones don’t splinter. Only cooked bones do. Any bones from chicken or turkey are completely safe for dogs to eat. My dog has eaten a ton of chicken legs and she is just fine.

#24222 Report Abuse
    neezerfan

I mean that thin, pointy bone that’s in the leg. The secondary one. I didn’t know how else to describe it.

#24230 Report Abuse

Neezerfan- yes I did go to L’Oreal event. It was fun & since I went early, not as hot as last year. Lots of vendors & dog groups. The lines were loooong for the freebies at the dog food companies but since Harry can’t eat most of them I didn’t have to deal with it. This was the 10th and final year for it, I don’t think their doing the smaller farm event in the fall either. ๐Ÿ™

Cyndi- I’ll look into the rabbit pieces- Thanks. I ordered the Beef Gullet slices last time. They’re huge & he liked it. Trying the Tripe Strips frozen too although I’m not sure they’ll do anything for his teeth.

Sandy- A whole cows head? Oh Lord I don’t think I could handle that lol.

#24231 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

How about beef oxtail? I haven’t fed it yet but am also looking for an alternative to pork necks while their freezing for 3 weeks.

#24232 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I won’t be doing any cows heads anytime soon, lol! BUT…. Hare Today does sell a bag of rabbit heads. I think I might be daring and try those out for Bailey. Too bad I can’t order a couple to see if she’ll even eat them first. I think she might like them though, considering how much she likes the rabbit.

Oh, and speaking of Hare Today!! I forgot to brag!! I won their $25 gift certificate giveaway for August!! Tracy emailed me on Sunday and told me. Yay Me!! ๐Ÿ˜€

• This reply was modified 10 years, 7 months ago by Cyndi.
    #24234 Report Abuse
    SandyandMila
    Participant

Congrats to you!! Have you asked to see if you could return the quail Bailey didn’t eat, or suppliers nearby to you?

#24237 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks Sandy! I never win anything, so I was very excited, lol! I don’t think I’ll be returning the quail. It was a bag of 4 & I only have one left. I don’t know anyone that lives near me who feeds raw, unfortunately & my “supplier” is just a small butcher shop who doesnt sell quail.

I could always try to cook it & eat it myself. Ha Ha!! I was definitely joking! ๐Ÿ™‚

#24239 Report Abuse

Congratulations on the win Cyndi !!

#24240 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Congrats on the win, Cyndi!! I never win anything either. Oxtail is good. And tripe strips are good for teeth. The acid, the enzymes, and the texture all work to help clean teeth.

#24242 Report Abuse

Thanks Patty! Good to hear. Harry’s a confirmed Tripe addict it seems

#24247 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Thanks everyone!! ๐Ÿ™‚

#24250 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Cyndi you won the gift certificate this month?! I’m so jealous!

#24254 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Yes I did! ๐Ÿ™‚ It sure is going to come in handy too when I place my big order tomorrow. I just got a new freezer! Well, it’s only a little one, but I have more room now to stock up on stuff for Bailey AND actually have room for frozen stuff for me…..like ice cream!! Lol!!

#24278 Report Abuse

Gift Certificate AND a freezer… Nom I’m really jealous !!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

#24287 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

Lol! It’s just a small 3.1 cu. ft. freezer, but it was on sale and I couldn’t resist. I got very tired of having to dig in my little fridge/freezer every time I needed to pull something out or having stuff fall out and almost break my foot. I am so glad I bought it. It has already been a blessing! ๐Ÿ™‚

#24293 Report Abuse

I was looking at one of those – but I have no place to put it ๐Ÿ™

#26223 Report Abuse

I noticed on MPC that they have lamb necks for a limited time. Are these an alternative to turkey necks ?

#26226 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I believe so. I bought some from the grocery store and there is not alot of meat on them at all. My little dogs ate them fine and pooped normally.

#26885 Report Abuse
    mrsGHT

Hello – I’m fairly new to this site, and only feed raw occasionally as we live in Alaska and all types of meat are very expensive. I’m looking for a way to cut the cost and increase the raw meals for both dogs. We have a 4 year old Great Pyranees (Bounder) and a 10 month old Bouvier (Raleigh). I have fed turkey drumsticks to Bounder many times and she does a great job gnawing and chewing on the bone. Raleigh has had other types of meat, and some bone. Tonight I gave him his first turkey leg – he scarfed it down, and didn’t chew the bone as well as I would have liked. Do I need to be concerned about him eating such a large chunk of bone without adequate chewing? Thank you for such a wonderful site!

#51307 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Hi – I found this thread bec I too am needing to learn about RMBs. Just received 2 pkgs of Turkey Necks from HARE. They are huge and I was shocked. Tracy says for my 72 pound GSD that one neck should be “a meal.” Seems like a lot to me, as 2% of 72 pounds is barely 2 pounds of meat a day. These necks must be at least 12 inches long.
    So can you give out a little info on your experience? I’m still a little threatened but experience should help, and hearing from others will inspire me to get started.
    Thank you.

#51308 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Sorry to ask a stupid Q but WHY are duck necks too small? Choking?
    Thanks.

#51309 Report Abuse
    Nancy C

Me again… shopping information for my GSD and Golden Retriever. 72 lbs and 60 lbs.
    I emailed Tracy at HARE about the Tripe strips. She encourages them for teeth cleaning. But I chickened out and got the regular ground tripe. was afraid they would choke on the strips. What has been your experience? Your dog looks like he’s about the size of mine. Tracy was big on the teeth cleaning potential w strips but I’m still feeling afraid of it.
    Thank you.

#51513 Report Abuse

I have an 80 lb Greyhound and he gets one of those ginormous turkey necks once a week as a meal, frozen to make it last longer & get more chew time. I do give him ground tripe that meal as well as the neck alone will constipate him. He is a tripe addict in any form and also loves gnawing on the strips (frozen) also. He loves the duck necks from Hare as snack during the week (Reel Raw’s seemed smaller to me). Frozen chicken feet are his bed time cookie (?). If he swallows anything before he’s chewed it up enough, he just horks it back up & works on it some more. I’m always present to supervise him. Besides the raw he’ll chew on a split antler, bully stick, or yak chew.
    Even though Harry HATES tooth brushing I get a 1/4 of his mouth done nightly. All that being said I just dropped him off for his annual Dental- this is the 1 day a year I’m that psycho dog mom. I trust my Vet 100% and even though I know she is aware of all the weirdo Greyhound protocols – I will still be watching the clock & waiting for the call.
    I will probably try upping the tripe strips & continuing with everything else. I believe some dogs are predetermined to have worse mouths than others & Harry is huts one of those. Ugh.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 59 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.