Reviews of dog foods for senior dogs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Reviews of dog foods for senior dogs

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    September D

This website and forum is wonderful! I would like to ask, that if possible, some time be given to reviewing senior dog foods, particularly kibble. I have a 10 year old poodle. He doesn’t need to lose weight but should have benefits of other things that will be good for him as he ages. Since you have stated that senior dog foods for the most part are terrible, I would like to know which ones are actually good. I’m sure others would appreciate this info too. Perhaps a category could be made for them. Just a suggestion.

• This topic was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by September D.
    #82753 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Check Wysong http://www.chewy.com/dog/wysong-senior-dry-dog-food-5-lb-bag/dp/50242
    It is always best to add a spoonful of scrambled egg or something, make it more interesting. Think of the kibble as a base.

#82754 Report Abuse
    anonymously

PS: I have to say it. Add a splash of water to his meals, small breeds (especially seniors) are vulnerable to developing bladder stones, adequate hydration and frequent bathroom breaks help to prevent this, big time.

#82755 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi September-
    I’m not sure you necessarily have to feed a senior food to your dog because there are no official AAFCO requirements for that life stage. It is up to each company to decide what they want to market as a “senior” dog food. Just visit the websites to check out what the companies are all about when deciding. That being said, I have fed two formulas that were marketed as senior/healthy weight that I thought were good for my dogs. They are Nutrisource and Victor. I agree with anonymously that it is good to add a little something to their base kibble meals. Best of luck with your pup.

#82757 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

I don’t think there’s any reason to change food just because a dog is getting older. If he’s healthy just leave him on the food he’s doing well on now. My guy is 11 and still just eating regular adult food. I agree with the above posters, tho. I give my dog fresh food along with his kibble. Eggs, a bit of meat or chicken, lightly steamed vegies, coconut oil, sardines (packed in water) are all good choices.

#82758 Report Abuse

Hi September D,

Thanks for your suggestion. We’re planning to publish an article with specific advice on what to look for when choosing a dog food for senior pets. And we hope to post that article sometime during the current year.

Until then, you should be able to use the search box on our website and enter the search term “senior” or “mature” to help you get started — until we post our article.

However, please keep in mind that there’s more to think about when choosing a dog food for your senior pet than just seeing the words “senior” or “mature adult” in the name of the product.

Hope this helps.

#82759 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi September D,

I’ve owned a lot of dogs over the years. I’ve never fed a senior dog food to them. Senior dog food is really just a marketing ploy. My large breed dogs live well over their expiration date. The most important thing is to watch that they don’t gain too much weight, get exercise on a daily basis, and address any health issues they might have as they age or due to injuries they have sustained. I also get yearly checkups and do blood panels on a regular basis. That let’s you know if there are any issues that might need addressing. My vet once said to walk my dogs for as long as they could walk. I’ve always done that. I’m not saying this is a miracle cure, but dogs need exercise and they need a job. That’s their job and they love it. I have a senior right now, 11 yo Lab along with other older adult dogs, but if you didn’t know her age, you wouldn’t think she was that old. She has bad knees too, but she walks briskly almost 2 miles daily and runs the yard after everything she sees. She does get supplements (fish oil, joint care) and I am very careful about her diet to keep her lean. I also feed her a combination of kibble, canned and fresh/raw food daily. So, I’ll get off my soap box now. Best of luck with your pup!

#82767 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

September,
    Senior dogs need a good higher protein food. Most senior foods are way too low in protein, the exception being Orijen senior.
    I have had many senior dogs, three of which came to me already old. One was obese on arrival so she got a lower fat food but the other two just got good food. I supplement with green lipped mussel for joints and any other issues.

#82797 Report Abuse
    C4D

Hi IM,

Did you use the green lipped mussels on arthritic dogs? If so, did it help and if so, did you see a significant difference? I’ve been reading up on it and am thinking of adding it.

#82798 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Boone is ten, little arthritic and was on GLM, til I ran out. It was obvious he did better on it. I got this glm from Hare Today.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.