🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    S. Monique
    Participant

SCROLL TO BOTTOM FOR NUTRITION INFO

Activa is a dog food brand manufactured in El Paso, TX and sold in that area. I’m looking for a more affordable grain free dog food and according to the website their brand is comparable to high end brands. It claims it is lower in price only because it “cuts out the middle man”. Right now my 1yr old (40lb) small pit mix is on BB Wilderness.

I would appreciate a more informed person’s opinion on their grain free line. The link below directs you to their list of formulas. Click on a formula and ingredients as well as a complete nutritional analysis is provided for review.
    http://www.petsbarn.com/store/#!/~/category/id=3996285&offset=0&sort=normal

(Also it would be awesome for this food line to have official review article on the website! Anyone know how I can suggest that?)

Here is direct information of the formula I’m considering. Thank you! 🙂

Activa Brand Dog Food
    Grain Free Turkey & Potato Formula

Ingredients: Turkey meal, dried potatoes, potato flour, chicken fat (preserved with mixed tocopherols), dried beet pulp, flaxseed, natural flavor, sunflower oil, salt, vitamins (vitamin E supplement, niacin supplement, D-calcium pantothenate, vitamin A acetate, thiamine mononitrate, pyridoxine hydrochloride, riboflavin supplement, vitamin D3 supplement, biotin, vitamin B12 supplement, folic acid), minerals (ferrous sulfate, zinc oxide, calcium carbonate, manganous oxide, copper sulfate, iron amino acid chelate, manganese amino acid chelate, zinc amino acid chelate, copper amino acid chelate, sodium selenite, cobalt carbonate, ethylenediamine dihydriodide), choline chloride, mixed tocopherols, taurine, rosemary extract.

Guaranteed Analysis
    Protein 25.0% min
    Fat 14.0% min
    Fiber 5.0% max
    Moisture 12.0% max
    Omega-6 Fatty Acids 3.28% min
    Omega-3 Fatty Acids 0.53% min

• This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by S. Monique.
    • This topic was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by S. Monique.
    #26544 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

It doesn’t impress me, just turkey then two potato products as the second & third ingredients. At least it’s turkey meal and not just turkey. Too low in protein for my taste.

#26550 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

It’s similar to Nutrisource grain free Heartland Select in protein content. I would feed it but only with something higher in protein mixed in some. Maybe at least 1/4 BB. But that’s just me. It would be bbetween 3.5 and 4 stars.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 6 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #26622 Report Abuse
    S. Monique
    Participant

I can see how it may need a protein boost. What about mixing some canned food in there? I don’t know much about canned tbh. But I could afford some canned as well since this food is well priced. My vet said she doesn’t like dogs on canned food. Is there something wrong with it?
    Also I am considering Canidae Pure Elements (5 star) as it’s about 10 dollars cheaper than BB and I would feed almost a 1/2 cup less per day then I do now.
    Would it be better for him to be on canned+dry or just the dry Canidae?
    Thanks so much for both of your feedback!

#26624 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Many vets want to see dogs on nothing but dry because of the old mistaken belief that dry keeps the teeth clean, but kibble fed dogs get nasty teeth too. The only way to guarantee good clean teeth is to brush them every day. The second best strategy is to feed raw meaty bones every few days.

#26625 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Canned plus dry is better for a dog. Whole Earth Farms canned food is pretty reasonable and good quality. So is Petsmart’s Simply Nourish and Costco’s Kirkland Cuts in Gravy. Giving him bones to gnaw on will help keep his teeth clean. The food you asked about is fine to feed in a rotation with other higher protein foods or with some added canned food. You can even just put a scrambled egg with his kibble.

#26630 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Patty & Sandy are correct. I just got Whole Earth Farms puppy for one of my dogs who needs to gain weight. I think I paid $19.99 for a case

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.