đŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    anonymous

https://www.pawdiet.com/reviews/royal-canin-veterinary-diet-canine-ultamino-dry-dog-food-dry-dog-food/ (Excerpt below)
    This product is manufactured by Mars Petcare Inc..
    According to our data, this Royal Canin recipe provides complete & balanced nutrition for the maintenance of adult dogs. In other words, this formula is AAFCO approved.
    Unlike other AAFCO approved dog foods which rely in laboratory testing to substantiate nutritional adequacy, this recipe has undergone feeding trials. In the pet food industry, feeding trials are often considered to be the superior testing method.
    Animal feeding tests using AAFCO procedures substantiate that Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Ultamino provides complete and balanced nutrition for the maintenance of adult dogs.
    Ingredient Review
    We’ll begin this review of Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Ultamino with a detailed discussion of the ingredients.
    The first ingredient is corn starch. Corn starch is derived from the endosperm of the corn kernel. Typically, corn starch is used as a binder in kibble.
    The second ingredient is hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate. Hydrolyzed poultry by-products aggregate is basically highly processed “feather meal.” The source is subjected to a process called hydrolysis. In this process, the protein source is broken down to the amino acid level. This is done to increase the digestibility of the protein.
    The third ingredient is coconut oil. Coconut oil is an excellent source of medium chain fatty acids (MCFA) which are easier to digest and believed to promote skin and coat health.
    The fourth ingredient is soybean oil. Soybean oil is an omega-6 fatty acid source. Unlike other oils (flax, canola, etc), soybean oil does not provide omega-3 fatty acids; However, the balancing omega-3 fatty acids are most likely supplied by another oil or fat source in the product.
    The fifth ingredient is natural flavor. Unlike artificial flavoring, natural flavoring is produced using plants and/or animal parts.
    Because ingredients are listed in order of pre-cooked weight, the remaining ingredients in Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Canine Ultamino are not as important as the first five ingredients.
    However, collectively they still have a significant impact on the overall quality of the product. Therefore, we’ll continue discussing the remaining ingredients in this Royal Canin recipe.
    Next we have potassium phosphate. Potassium phosphate is a common additive used in processed foods to control acidity and moisture.
    The next ingredient is powdered cellulose. Powdered cellulose is produced from minuscule pieces of wood pulp and plant fibers. Other than its fiber content, powdered cellulose lacks any nutritional contribution.
    Then we have calcium carbonate. Calcium carbonate is a naturally occurring mineral supplement. Although it’s often used as a dietary calcium supplement, it can also be used as a preservative or color retainer.
    The remaining ingredients in this Royal Canin Veterinary Diet recipe are unlikely to affect the overall rating of the product.

#107202 Report Abuse
    anonymous
    #107203 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

anon101 & all,

Just a heads up that some of the statements, from the authors of the review above, are factually incorrect.

“Unlike other oils (flax, canola, etc), soybean oil does not provide omega-3 fatty acids; However, the balancing omega-3 fatty acids are most likely supplied by another oil or fat source in the product.”

This is not correct. Soybean absolutely contains Omega 3 fatty acids, a significant amount — specifically ALA (alpha linolenic acid) — along with other plant oil sources such as flax, hemp, canola. It also contains monounsaturated fat, saturated fat, and a high percentage of Omega 6 (linoleic acid).

(Regarding Omega 3 EFAs, ALA is a precursor to the converted forms, Omega 3 EFAs EPA and DHA, as commonly found in fish. Dogs, however, do not efficiently convert ALA to EPA and DHA.)

#107207 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Thanks for your opinion. Maybe you are incorrect? Who knows 🙂

#107216 Report Abuse

How is it an opinion that Soybean contains omega 3? That’s a factual statement. Soybean is often listed has having one of the highest amounts of omega 3s.

#107226 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

No, I’m not, regarding this.

I’m pretty familiar with nutrition, nutritional components of foods, and fat composition/profiles of various oils and oil foods.

It’s been necessary for me to know especially about Omega 3 for my own health and diet, as I have to be individually especially concerned with Omega 3 deficiency and sourcing, overconsumption of Omega 6 for myself.

You are, of course, most welcome to find citations regarding the fat profile for soybean oil. (You might wish to compare it to canola.) As an academic, I always encourage research and evidence! LOL.

As far as my dog goes w/respect to Omega 3, she receives a high therapeutic dose of EPA & DHA Omega 3 as prescribed by my vet, via Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil pumped onto her meals (company: Grizzly’s).

#107229 Report Abuse
    GSDsForever
    Participant

Just to be clear above — I’m “LOL” laughing at myself and my love of research, not anon101.

I have been described recently by a friend as “Research is her middle name.” in explaining the information I provided for someone else (to assist a friend of a friend).

Internet can be unclear, esp. among strangers, but no curtness or snark is intended on my end.

#107456 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

GSD’sForever: have you been gone? I dont get here as much as I used to; if you’ve been gone, glad you’re back.

#107936 Report Abuse
    Rose C

My Vet recommnded it and I read the ingredients and the order listed and said I thought it was crap I wouldn’t feed my dog if I had a lifetime free supply. My Vet said: the government approved it. I just laughed and said- sure lobbyists get everything approved with donations.

#120149 Report Abuse
    Margaret L

@Rose C — Good for you! I can’t believe they have the nerve to actually list those contents! The “hydrolyzed poultry by-product aggregate” is ground up feathers, according to several sources. Technically, they can be classed as a protein — but, it’s a protein that’s unusable by the body! The so-called “Royal” Canin is a complete scam. What a pity we can no longer rely on our government to protect us from predatory businesses. Yes, the lobbies. Legalized bribery endorsed by our very own Supreme Court!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.