Rescue Dog Won't Eat Yet

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Rescue Dog Won't Eat Yet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roger D

Hi, I’m a new member with a question about a rescue dog I have. She was rescued from a hoarding situation. She’s 6 yrs old. She won’t let me feed her and runs from me when I present kibble in a bowl. She reluctantly takes treats. The vet examined her, and pronounced her healthy. She’s at her ideal weight at present. Should I just wait for her to get hungry? Other than this, she seems to be doing fine. Any suggestions? Thanks. RJ

#105408 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

How long have you had her? It’s not unusual for dogs new to homes to not want to eat and she sounds like she’s had it rough. I would give her time and thanks for rescuing her!

#105409 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Is she drinking water? Add a little to the kibble. She may prefer soft/canned food or a mix with the kibble.

Did the vet give her teeth a good check?

Give her some time. Don’t free feed (leave food down). Offer her a meal twice a day, pick up after 10-15 minutes, store in the fridge and offer at the next mealtime.
    How about adding something tasty like a bit of scrambled egg to the kibble.

Always have fresh water available.

If she doesn’t eat solid food times 3 days call the vet, but as long as she is drinking water and eating something try not to worry.

PS: It may take at least a month for her to feel comfortable with you.

#105430 Report Abuse
    Roger D

Thanks, I’ve only had her 5 days. She finally ate some dry, literally out of my hand. Realized she was afraid of me standing, she was more comfortable excepting it while I kneeled at her level. I guess I expect too much too soon. I think she’s slowly getting better. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep you posted. RJ

#105436 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What kind of a dog is she, Roger? (Just nosey!). Try sitting on the ground, if you can. Keep us posted!

#105463 Report Abuse
    anonymous

When you put the food down, retreat to the other side of the room and sit down in a chair. Look away, avoid eye contact, look out the window.
    Do not hover over the dog.
    Give her some space. Let us know if this works.

#106024 Report Abuse
    Roger D

Hi, Suzie is a “Borador”. (Border Collie/Black Lab Mix). What a great dog, and smart. She finally started eating kibble, although a rather expensive kind. Still a bit weary of it, but if I feed her a little out of my hand, she eventually comes around to eating the rest on her own. Slowly she’s getting used to being rescued. I think she is coming around. I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Roger

#106113 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome.

Thanks for the update. 🙂

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.