Rescue Dog Won't Eat Yet

Dog Food Advisor Forums Feedback and Suggestions Rescue Dog Won't Eat Yet

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Roger D

Hi, I’m a new member with a question about a rescue dog I have. She was rescued from a hoarding situation. She’s 6 yrs old. She won’t let me feed her and runs from me when I present kibble in a bowl. She reluctantly takes treats. The vet examined her, and pronounced her healthy. She’s at her ideal weight at present. Should I just wait for her to get hungry? Other than this, she seems to be doing fine. Any suggestions? Thanks. RJ

#105408 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

How long have you had her? Itโ€™s not unusual for dogs new to homes to not want to eat and she sounds like sheโ€™s had it rough. I would give her time and thanks for rescuing her!

#105409 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Is she drinking water? Add a little to the kibble. She may prefer soft/canned food or a mix with the kibble.

Did the vet give her teeth a good check?

Give her some time. Don’t free feed (leave food down). Offer her a meal twice a day, pick up after 10-15 minutes, store in the fridge and offer at the next mealtime.
    How about adding something tasty like a bit of scrambled egg to the kibble.

Always have fresh water available.

If she doesn’t eat solid food times 3 days call the vet, but as long as she is drinking water and eating something try not to worry.

PS: It may take at least a month for her to feel comfortable with you.

#105430 Report Abuse
    Roger D

Thanks, I’ve only had her 5 days. She finally ate some dry, literally out of my hand. Realized she was afraid of me standing, she was more comfortable excepting it while I kneeled at her level. I guess I expect too much too soon. I think she’s slowly getting better. Thanks for the feedback. I’ll keep you posted. RJ

#105436 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What kind of a dog is she, Roger? (Just nosey!). Try sitting on the ground, if you can. Keep us posted!

#105463 Report Abuse
    anonymous

When you put the food down, retreat to the other side of the room and sit down in a chair. Look away, avoid eye contact, look out the window.
    Do not hover over the dog.
    Give her some space. Let us know if this works.

#106024 Report Abuse
    Roger D

Hi, Suzie is a “Borador”. (Border Collie/Black Lab Mix). What a great dog, and smart. She finally started eating kibble, although a rather expensive kind. Still a bit weary of it, but if I feed her a little out of my hand, she eventually comes around to eating the rest on her own. Slowly she’s getting used to being rescued. I think she is coming around. I want to thank you all for your suggestions. Roger

#106113 Report Abuse
    anonymous

You’re welcome.

Thanks for the update. ๐Ÿ™‚

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.