RESCUE DOG NOT EATING

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum RESCUE DOG NOT EATING

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Beverly L

My 18 month rescue dog is not eating after the death of our beloved 11 yr. old lab, Lex a week ago today 🙁
    I am feeding her Nature’s Logic, which I think she ate when he was alive as a competition. She goes over to the bowl and noses the food and walks away… Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks, Bev

#77903 Report Abuse
    Dori

I would try either a commercial raw frozen food, home cooked or even canned (Weruva) until he gets over the loss of her friend. It’s a difficult time for both of you I’m sure. You can even try a dehydrated food that you add water to or goats milk. Something tasty with a good scent that may encourage her to eat.

If all else fails I would call the vet and ask for an appetite stimulant but I would do that only as a last resort.

#77910 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I’m so sorry for your loss. As you remember the good times with your precious pup, realize it’s equally important to continue good times with your new pup (short of getting her a new companion). It might be the smells/reminders of Lex. Perhaps replacing the old bowls, toys and linens with new ones. Place the bed in a different area. Introduce a new activity and a new food! Add some wet food on top to spice things up. Things will soon be A-Okay.

#77914 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I can’t help but wanted to say how sorry I am for your loss.

#77917 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Getting a new friend when your ready could help, but I think a good suggestion was what zcRiley said. It sounds very much like depression, however dogs do move on faster than humans thankfully.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.