Rescue Dog is too skinny

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Rescue Dog is too skinny

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Zabryna M

I got a rescue a few days ago and I’m very concerned for her. She is drinking well but she doesn’t want to eat. She is far to skinny unfortunately I do not know her breed. She has issues with her back leg and has a little trouble walking but I can see her ribs she is so skinny. I’m very worried about her its clear the previous owners did not care for her properly! What dog food should I get her to help her gain weight?! Also to help her joints. I’m still pretty young and haven’t had a dog in years and am very unsure. Please help me get this gorgeous girl healthy again.

#101793 Report Abuse
    anonymous

First step is to find a vet that you like and trust. Shelters have limited funds and do the best that they can, however, I doubt that they did a thorough exam, labs, dental check, etc
    So I would rule out medical causes for her condition first.
    I would try a quality kibble like Zignature, if you think that it’s too expensive look at Purina Pro Plan Sensitive Salmon, add a bite of real food to it, like chopped broiled chicken liver (fattening and yummy) or even a little scrambled egg. Add a splash of water.
    Feed twice a day….you didn’t mention her age…maybe 3 or 4 small meals per day would be better, instead.
    It takes an adult dog a few months (maybe 6 months) to adjust and feel safe in a new home, give her some time. Best of luck

Ps: If you are receptive to science based veterinary medicine, you may find this site helpful
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/

This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#101794 Report Abuse
    Zabryna M

She is about 2 years old and she seems right at home. I think she doesn’t like the dog food they had her on. She loves people food my kids fed her my husband also gave her some beef steak and she ate that but her dog food she does not want to eat.

#101795 Report Abuse
    anonymous

What are you feeding her?

Dogs can suffer from depression, just like people. She may be grieving her former family.
    Dogs bond with people even if they were not treated well (think Stockholm Syndrome).

Have you tried presoaking the kibble? And then mix it with a bite of people food.
    I would give her some time…..

Ps: I hope you are not free feeding, leaving kibble down all day, not a good idea.

This is not veterinary advice; consult your veterinarian.

#101809 Report Abuse
    Zabryna M

I just bought her Pedigree and she ate it all I think she just didn’t like the old food from her old family. I’m hoping she gets some meat on her bones soon. Poor baby is so skinny.

#101810 Report Abuse
    anonymous

Sounds good. Whatever works. Maybe she prefers soft food.

#101826 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, another very lucky dog who has landed on her feet, been rescued & has found a good home……
    Has she been wormed with an “All Wormer, desexed & vaccinated? she may prefer eating wet tin food & cooked food instead of a dry kibble also start feeding 3-4 smaller meals a day, instead of the 2 larger meals a day to help gain her weight, get her in a routine & feed meals same times every day, start feeding the amount it says to feed on the kibble bag, read the weight you want her to be or what she should weigh, divided the amount it says on bag into 2 meals, feed kibble for Breakfast 7am & more kibble for Dinner 5pm then lunch 12pm feed wet tin or cooked food (left overs are good) and a second dinner 8pm wet tin food or left overs from dinner, so she is eating every 5 hours, she should start to gain weight within 1 month, if she hasn’t gained any weight & is eating more then the recommended amount in 2 months, see a vet, normally rescued dogs are covered for any health problems when you buy a dog or cat through a rescue group or RSPCA, my cat had 14 days warranty & if there’s a health problem then it’s free until the health problem is fixed… Is she small dog or a big dog? if she is small then only buy the small bags of kibble as kibble goes rancid, stale after it’s opened, so make sure it’s kept in a air tight container in a cool dark place…..
    Good foods at a good price in America.
    “Costco” sell a brand “Kirkland Signature”, Natures Domain, look at the Salmon & Sweet Potatoes, it is “Taste Of The Wild” Pacific Stream, Smoked Salmon formula & cheaper-
    http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

“Pro Pac Ultimates” Bayside Whitefish & Prime Meadow Lamb kibble
    is made by the makers who make Earthborn Holistic,

4 Health wet tin & dry kibble sold at Tractor Supply Co-https://www.tractorsupply.com/landing-pages_brands_4health

There’s probably more brands of kibble you’d have to post a post asking for “Good Price 3-5 star wet & dry foods”

#101827 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Zabryna,
    another very lucky dog who has landed on her feet & been rescued now found a good home……
    Has she been wormed with an “All Wormer, desexed & vaccinated?
    She may prefer eating wet tin food & cooked food instead of a dry kibble also start feeding 3-4 smaller meals a day, instead of the 2 larger meals a day to help gain her weight, get her in a routine & feed meals same times every day, start feeding the amount it says to feed on the kibble bag, read the weight you want her to be or what she should weigh, divided the amount it says on bag into 2 meals, feed kibble for Breakfast 7am & more kibble for Dinner 5pm then lunch 12pm feed wet tin or cooked food (left overs are good) and a second dinner 8pm wet tin food or left overs from dinner, so she is eating every 5 hours, she should start to gain weight within 1 month, if she hasn’t gained any weight & is eating more then the recommended amount in 2 months, see a vet, normally rescued dogs are covered for any health problems when you buy a dog or cat through a rescue group or RSPCA, my cat had 14 days warranty & if there’s a health problem then it’s free until the health problem is fixed… Is she small dog or a big dog? if she is small then only buy the small bags of kibble as kibble goes rancid, stale after it’s opened, so make sure it’s kept in a air tight container in a cool dark place…..
    Good foods at a good price in America.
    “Costco” sell a brand “Kirkland Signature”, Natures Domain, look at the Salmon & Sweet Potatoes, it is “Taste Of The Wild” Pacific Stream, Smoked Salmon formula & cheaper-
    http://www.kirklandsignaturepetsupplies.com/natures-domain-brand

“Pro Pac Ultimates” Bayside Whitefish & Prime Meadow Lamb kibble
    is made by the makers who make Earthborn Holistic,

4 Health wet tin & dry kibble sold at Tractor Supply Co-https://www.tractorsupply.com/landing-pages_brands_4health

There’s probably more brands of kibble you’d have to post a post asking for “Good Price 3-5 star wet & dry foods”

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.