šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    S R
    Participant

I notice you don’t have a separate “small breed, senior” dry dog food category.

With that said, what small dog, senior, dry, grain inclusive food do you recommend?

Thank you for responding

#167919 Report Abuse
    Jenny Rellick
    Participant

When shopping for senior food, I noticed that, among the highest quality brands, the only difference in ingredients in their senior food is that it contains glucosamine and chondroitin to help with arthritis. Other healthy aspects of senior foods are that they contain 1. probiotics (to aid digestion and boost the immune system) and 2. omega 3 and omega 6 fatty acids (for heart health, joint lubrication, and skin health.) However, high-quality brands typically include probiotics and omegas 3 and 6 in all of their foods. You can give your dog glucosamine and chondroitin in treats such as Zuke’s Hip Action, which can be broken into small pieces, instead of searching for a grain-inclusive senior food with those ingredients. The CANIDAE All Life Stages Formula Dry Dog Food line may be what you’re looking for. It has 4.5 stars. The label specifically says it’s appropriate for all dog sizes. They only make a specific small-breed size for their grain-free food because the standard kibble size for their grain-free food is larger. Also, even the grain-free senior food that I buy has much smaller than average kibble, which is a good sign the All Life Stages really is okay. If you buy it locally and it’s not appropriate for your dog, you should be able to return it or call Canidae for a refund because it says ALL sizes on the label. By the way, don’t buy this brand on Amazon because multiple recent reviews say it’s counterfeit.

#167921 Report Abuse
    S R
    Participant

I have been feeding my dog Wellness Complete, Small breed, Senior, grain inclusive-deboned Turkey and peas, but I donā€™t see it recommended anywhere on the dogfoodadvisor site. I didnā€™t know if you had any experience with this specific dog food?.

Thank you for your comprehensive feed back and continued responsiveness!

#167940 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

I feed our senior dogs Purina Vibrant Maturity. It is Ok for all sizes of seniors. The kibble is quite small. They love it and are doing great on it. Give it a try!

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.