🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    InkedMarie

It’s been awhile since I ordered from Reel Raw out of Maine and I could swear their mixes (meat, organ and bone), 10 pounds for $29.99, came in beef and chicken only. I just went to their site and they have those plus pork, turkey and a combo (beef, chicken, turkey and pork).

#62575 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I really hope I can get mom to start ordering for this site. The $150 (50 lbs of ground mixes) an order for us to have free shipping is a bit of a turn off though lol But I love how cheap the mixes are, and that it includes beef! Beef is so dang expensive, and of course Bentley is a red meat kind of dog. At least he likes pork! LOL Oh and the duck necks look pretty exciting, too!

#62584 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

ground raw isnt cheap any way you look at it, unless you want to go with Blur Ridge Beef

#62634 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

It can be when meat is made of gold locally and you can get just about anything you want for $3 a pound online LOL Especially when it’s a complete mix. It’ll be cheaper to do the ground complete mixes than it is to sale shop on meat and use SSLL for Bentley. He doesn’t eat much, thankfully.

I’ll have to look at Blue Ridge. How are their prices and shipping?

#80251 Report Abuse

Hi Inked Marie,

I’m new to the forums so I apologize for trolling an older post of yours! I was hoping you’d see this as I’ve been reading your posts for awhile now and I’ve noticed you’re located in New England. Any reviews or advice you could offer on how Reel Raw is working for you and your dogs? I am located in Maine so picking somewhere local to source my raw goodies would be absolutely ideal. Currently we shop through Hare Today which is incredible but I would like to move things more local. Thanks again and I hope to hear from you.
    -Coonhound Mama

#80254 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hello CM!
    I use mostly Hare Today; I prefer their products. I do use some Reel Raw too. I use grinds, they’re a little fattier than Hare’s. My older two dogs (we just got a puppy last week) do just fine on their grinds. I buy the ten pounders, defrost then repackge but not in the summer (I hate defrosting when it’s warm). I love their beef rib bones too!
    Give them a try! Where in Maine are you, if you don’t mind me asking?

#80257 Report Abuse

Hi InkedMarie,

Thanks for your response and congratulations on the new puppy! I am located in Old Orchard Beach, Maine. Just moved here a year ago so I’m trying to find some places nearby that will be cost effective. Thanks for sharing your advice regarding Reel Raw. I have read some other reviews that have noted the noticeably higher fat percentage, so I think for now we will stick with Hare Today. Our pup is a 5 year old shelter dog whom we’ve only had for three months, so for right now we are still doing a slow transition to raw. She’s been kibble fed her whole life! We’ve started out on the bone, organ and meat grinds which seems to be going very well. If I can muster up enough courage to start her on some edible bones (other than recreational bones) I will certainly take your advice and try the beef rib bones!

#80259 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

CM: duck or turkey necks would be good too. You can use RR, just use Hare as well (it’s what I do and I need to order from RR).

OOB is beautiful. I live in Gilford NH (if you’ve been to the Meadowbrook…I’m not too far)

#80260 Report Abuse

Marie: Do you have any recommendations on where to find duck or turkey necks? I will be saving the Thanksgiving turkey odds and ends for her of course, but is there somewhere I could try that would offer those? I am thinking we will try turkey necks first as she’s a big girl and has a tendency to inhale food. And yes, I have been to Gilford! Lovely place. Wonderful to meet people from my general area who share common interests.

#80270 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

CM: yes, Reel Raw Dog has necks!! Definitely do the turkey necks! Nice to “meet” you too!

#88224 Report Abuse
    Ashley H

How much are you guys spending a month on raw? how large is your dog? how often do you rotate grind proteins?

#88239 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I feed two dogs raw only (one is 32lbs, other was 26.9 yesterday) and my third dog who is 30lbs, eats 2-3 meals of raw a week.

The two larger dogs get around 4.3oz a meal and the smaller one gets about 4.6-5oz a meal
    (It’s not exact)

I don’t buy from Reel Raw anymore, I buy from Hare Today. I order once every 6 weeks or so, I always buy 55lbs at a time and with shipping, it runs $235-$300 depending on what proteins I get. I typically have 15 pounds left in the freezer when I order.

I switch proteins every day and mine get two days of red meats then one day of white meat.

#90752 Report Abuse
    Megan L

I’m getting ready to switch to a raw diet (first timer) and also live in Maine (Gardiner) I was thinking of using Reel raw..is there a reason you don’t use them any more? I have also looked at Hare today but hate to pay for shipping

#90756 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Hi Megan,
    I like the selection at Hare better. I only use grinds and I think Hare was $10-$15 more than Reel Raw and that was getting 10 pounders from Reel Raw. To be honest, it’s such a big chunk of meat to thaw and repackage. Hare also offers money off at times, have monthly specials and they have rewards. Also, Reel Raw’s shipping is difficult for me. I can order and have no idea of when it will arrive until the shipping email arrives. It can arrive anywhere from 5 days to 2 weeks. With Hare, I know in minutes when it will arrive. Reel Raw’s grinds appear to be fattier than Hare.

I suggest doing “mock orders” through both and see if there is a price difference. Happy to answer any other questions!

#91001 Report Abuse
    tonkasdad
    Participant

Have you tried their pre measured service ? I was thinking about starting my dog on raw and using that service.

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics