šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Bernie B

I’m pretty good at researching and finding information about dog products, but there seems to be a scarcity of information on reliable, healthy dog treats (not regular food, but treats). I’ve found plenty of recalls on treats, but I need to know the GOOD products, not the bad products. Can anybody help me out please?
    Bern B

#111372 Report Abuse
    Craig C

You may want to consider the Zukes line of treats. Not aware of any recalls, and positive reviews.

#111385 Report Abuse
    Richard P

Homemade Dog Treats (Linda Arndt) http://www.greatdanelady.com)

1 Ā½ lbs liver
    1 Cup oat flour (or if allergic get non gluten flour)
    2 Eggs
    Ā½ Garlic Clove

Mince meat and garlic.
    Mix in other ingredients and bake in a loaf pan for 30 minutes in 375 degree oven. Cut into portions. Treats can be frozen.

#113664 Report Abuse
    Linda K

Homemade dog treats called turkey and oatmeal bites

2 cups whole wheat flour
    1 cup instant oatmeal
    1 cup grated carrots
    2 eggs, lightly beaten
    1-1/4 pounds fresh ground turkey(I use 99% lean)
    1TBSP olive oil

Mix carrots, eggs, turkey and oil together in large bowl. Add dry ingredients slowly until all is mixed well. For small dog, fill mini muffin cups 1/2 way and pat down gently. For large dogs fill to top and pat down. Bake 18 minutes at 350Ā°. Makes dozens. Refrigerate only enough to last 3-4 days, and freeze the remainder.

It takes for-bloody-ever to make them, so I usually double the recipe, but the recipe lasts a long time. I had one dog who had epilepsy. SInce I didn’t want to give him anti-convulsant meds, I gave these to him at bedtime to help maintain blood sugar and eliminate seizures overnight. It worked very well. My non-epileptic dogs have loved them too.

#113729 Report Abuse
    Bazuhi

Bernie,
    I honeslt think dog food companies make their treats out of the same thing the dog food is made with and charge double the price. Mine do nor each much in treats and the ones they do I don’t worry about them since it is not much and not gonna kill them but I stay away from the cheap end stuff like milk bone etc
    Richard
    same qustion how hard are these treats after baked?
    Linda
    I had to chuckle forever to make?
    Have you ever tried just rolling this on a bakin sheet?
    How hard are these treats after baking?

#113731 Report Abuse
    Linda K

They are very soft, actually. I’d liken them to a chewy cookie. And no, I haven’t tried rolling these babies on a cookie sheet, but I am certain it would work. You might have to adjust the baking time, but you’d decrease by a bunch the time you’d have to devote to making them.

#114137 Report Abuse
    Amanda P

I like “Primal Treats”. Some are 100% just the meat or organ and some have honey and sea salt added. My dog loves the Dry Roasted Chicken Shredders (ingredients: chicken breast)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.