Recommendation for high quality food with no chicken products

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Recommendation for high quality food with no chicken products

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Linda C
    Participant

Hi all! I think I’ve narrowed down our pup’s loose stool to a chicken sensitivity. She’s a large Breed puppy (Bernese Mountain Dog, our third) and so a lower protein percentage is needed. Both our breeder and vet advised adult large breed rather than puppy food as puppy food promotes faster growth. We started her on Fromme, moved to Taste of the Wild Venison (still had some chicken in it) and now have her on Natural Balance LID Venison and Sweet Potato. Her stools are fabulous (who knew we’d get so excited about good poop!), but the food is only rated 2 stars. Any recommendations for a quality, chicken free, food? Beef or venison? Thanks for your help! Btw, she’s been vet fecal tested twice, all clear.

#105548 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Have you looked at the Editor’s Choice list of Puppy foods? There is also an article with a calculator in (in the Review side) it so you see if the current food you are feeding is within large breed puppy guidelines.

/best-dog-foods/best-large-breed-puppy-food/

#105555 Report Abuse
    Linda C
    Participant

Thanks Sandy! The article and calculator was just what I needed to finish research. Looks like it may be Arcana Lamb and Apple tried next… pretty near perfect ratios.

#105593 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

You’re welcome! And be sure to obtain the actual calcium and phosphorus content from the dog food companies on the foods you choose. The bags normally only give the minimum amounts, not the maximums.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.