🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Recent Topics

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Ciro R

My 9 year old German Shepherd has battled allergies and yeast infections for many years, recently She began to develop infections in her armpits in addition to her normal ear issue. She’s been on all kinds of allergy meds that simply reduce the intensity but never solve the problem. I feed her Acana and Orijen mostly but I remembered when she was a pup she mostly ate raw and didn’t have any issues at all. Does anyone have any recommendations for a good raw diet for a yeasty dog that isn’t super expensive and that I don’t have to make myself (freeze dried is ok)?

#113429 Report Abuse
    Blaire S

Google “BARF” diet. You can buy frozen chicken legs and thighs, check around to see if you can find a local source for beef, lamb organ meats. If you buy a few lbs at a time many butchers will order for you, then you can package in small quantities for freezing. For a raw diet, you don’t have to make anything, you just thaw a couple of day’s worth. A little planning and it gets easier. Ready made raw diets get expensive. A little research will go a long way!

#113432 Report Abuse
    anonymous

For the best results, make an appointment with a veterinary dermatologist.
    Here is a good article about what you might be looking at, keep in mind there are even newer treatment options than when this article was written
    http://www.nevetdermatology.com/canine-atopic-dermatitis-treatment/
    /forums/topic/allergies-and-itchy-dogs/
    http://skeptvet.com/Blog/?s=allergies

#113433 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“I feed her Acana and Orijen mostly but I remembered when she was a pup she mostly ate raw and didn’t have any issues at all”

That’s because allergies don’t tend to show up till later (age 1-4) and they tend to get worse with age.

Diet has nothing to with yeast, yeast is caused due to a breakdown in the immune system, same with the skin infections and ear infections.
    I’m not a scientist, the dermatologist can explain it more clearly.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Recent Topics