🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Kona

Hi all. I have been transitioning my dog (11 years old) to raw food over the past month. I have been feeding raw for breakfast and kibble at dinner, mainly because of the costs. However, she’s doing so well on the raw I’ve decided to suck it up and go completely raw (if it means I have to eat out less then that’s what I have to do). I have her on AllProvide turkey and beef. I have a couple questions and was hoping some of the more experienced raw feeders could help:

1) AllProvide packages in 16oz pouches. According to her “ideal” weight (she’s 75 lbs now but I’d like to see her down to 68-70 lbs) the food chart says she should have 22 oz per day. I’d like to keep her on one pouch per day. Any ideas on how I can supplement the additional 6 oz? I feed raw goat’s milk so there are some calories there. She also gets a few “treats” – cucumbers, sweet potato biscuits, but maybe only 100-150 calories. I bought some grass-fed beef organs – liver, kidney, heart. Should I add some of this to her food (AllProvide already includes these though in the food so I wasn’t sure if that would be too much)? Anything else I can add to reach her 22 oz?

2) She seems to digest it too quickly, which on one hand is good since i know she’s digesting it better than kibble but the problem is by late afternoon she will throw up a little bile (ever since she was a puppy this happens whenever her stomach is empty for too long). I’ve been having to put a little kibble in her kong when i leave for work to prevent this. I’d hate to keep adding kibble to her diet since I’ll be going completely raw. Anything I can add or suggestions?

Thanks!

#76249 Report Abuse
    Jonathan S

Are you giving her raw meaty bones? That would add some calories. You could go with turkey necks, lamb shanks, chicken wings, duck feet, etc.

#76250 Report Abuse
    Kona

Not yet. She has a few fractured teeth so her vet has advised against bones but I thought I’d try some turkey/duck necks. Should she get those daily or is it more of an occasional treat?

#76256 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

I was thinking coconut oil as it is high in calories, however it’s so high that I’d be concerned about it being counter productive to her weight loss.

Hopefully a more experienced raw feeder can help you, as I’m not. Mainly just wanted to come in and say how awesome it is that you decided to switch to all raw for your girl! Much more appropriate for a senior dog 🙂

#76486 Report Abuse
    Dixie W

I’m trying to switch my 12 year old boston terrier from kibble to raw as he has been diagnosed with Cushing’s. He has gained 5 lbs which is because of the Cushing’s and I am trying to help him loose that weight so he will be more comfortable. I am reducing his kibble to 1/2 cup and adding salmon , frozen veggies which he has always loved, fish oil and kefir for his tummy. He licks the bowl every time. Does anyone have any suggestions on a more permanent diet for him .

#76631 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

You could try putting some of her Allprovide food in the Kong and freezing it (instead of using the kibble) to keep her entertained a bit whilst you’re out? This would ensure that she gets something in her stomach to stop the hunger pukes (my dog Maggie has the same issue in the mornings occasionally) whilst still providing her with some food and something to keep her occupied.

#76635 Report Abuse
    Kona

MaggiesDad – good idea! Do you think it’s ok to re-freeze meat that has already been thawed?

#76636 Report Abuse
    MaggiesDad

You can safely refreeze meat once but I wouldn’t do it any more than that.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.