šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    kcarter137

I have a 1 1/2 year old 13 lbs chihuahua mix. She has a long story and I need help so here it is. She has been plagued with various ailments since we acquired her. After a couple months of raw feet and hairless patches on her body I took her to see an allergist/dermatologist. We did a food elimination diet and determined she was severely allergic to chicken, rice, and wheat; somewhat allergic to eggs, dairy, and fish in higher quantities. She has been eating cooked pork, 5-10% cooked liver, 15-20% pureed sweet potatoes with skin on, 15-20% raw beef, and every other day she gets half a sardine or canned salmon. She eats no bone but I supplement with calcium. She takes a glucosamine/chondroitin/msn supplement because she has bad knees. We recently started her on a wild salmon oil because my vet said she needed it also. He also told me that she’s not eating a balanced diet so she also needs a multivitamin. So I ordered one from b-naturals. I don’t know what else I can do for balance her diet out. My other half says we cannot feed her raw or bones. Help, please and thanks in advance!!

#32966 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

What you’re doing sounds pretty good. Did your vet help you get the right amount of calcium? You could try for a greater variety of veggies and check the multi that you got to make sure that it won’t throw off the amount of calcium you need to add.

#32982 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Can she eat something like Hound and Gatos canned food? It has one protein and it is complete and balanced. Maybe she can have this a couple times a week. The recipe book Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats by Dr Becker/Beth Taylor has simple recipes and a recipe to make a vitamin mix that you can make in bulk to make the meals balanced and you can use bone meal for the calcium.

#33115 Report Abuse
    kcarter137

I am working on adding more veggies. She usually eats whatever I veggies I have with dinner also. She also steals the carrots from my horses. I am working on finding suppliers for various other meat sources. My vet was less then helpful, he referred me to balanceit.com. They want $100 to analyze what your feeding and then make a supplement for you. I am going off the amount that is recommended in Dr Beckers book, Real Food for Healthy Dogs and Cats.
    The Hound and Gatos canned food sounds good but there isn’t a retailer close to me, but I can always order it online.

#33119 Report Abuse
    kcarter137

I also forgot to mention she gets some spriolina every other day..or when I remember too

#33125 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

What you’re doing sounds pretty good. The others have definitely given helpful advice – adding various veggies might help give her a boost of nutrients. I give my dogs raw eggs – straight from our hens, coconut oil, ground flax in their treats, fish oil, and multi-vitamins.

#33574 Report Abuse
    kcarter137

I added a carrot, celery, zucchini, yellow squash, and spinach puree this week along with some frozen blueberries.
    I would love to give her eggs as I am over flowing with eggs from my hens but she is allergic to them.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.