🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author

Hi guys,

Just wanted to ask some advice of you knowledgeable people! Over the course of 5 months we have successfully made the switch to an entirely raw, homemade diet. With the exception of some confusion with Vitamin E and Fish Oil supplementation, I feel pretty good about her diet being balanced! Thanks for all the advice you all have offered so far. In conjunction with Dr. Karen Becker’s book, I feel confident she’s getting the nutrition she needs.

Anyhow-

I am confused. In place of krill oil or fish oil my 60 lb active dog has been getting one large raw whole sardine per day at the evening meal, which makes 7 full sardines a week. These are from Hare Today Gone Tomorrow. Is that too many?

Second question is- how much Vitamin E do I supplement her with? Do I need to fiddle some more with my amounts in order to get the ratio of fish oil to Vitamin E properly in order?

I have already placed an order for Mercola’s Spirugreen Superfood and Dr. Harvey’s Herbal Multivitamin and Mineral Supplement. Would the Vitamin E be included in the Vitamin Supplement?

Thanks in advance for the help.

#82055 Report Abuse
    Cory C

Hi I just joined and saw your post. I’m not sure about all of those supplements. I have four little Yorkies that have been on a raw a diet and doing exceptionally well for about four years now. The only supplements that I give them other than the correct amount of raw they should be on is Alaskan Fish Oil and Cranimals for their teeth and other health benefits. I have tried so many other products for their teeth but this is the best by far.

I truly think that a raw diet is so beneficial for their overall health and immune system.

I’m sorry I don’t know about the other supplements you mentioned but have seen many of Dr. Becker’s videos on Youtube and think she’s so knowledgeable.

Take care and I hope others respond to your thread as well

#82061 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi, I use “Natural Animal Solutions” Omega 3,6 & 9 oil, here’s the link, you’ll find the Vitamin E comes natural in the 3, 6 &9 Oil, click on ingredients & its say’s natural vitamin E… http://www.naturalanimalsolutions.com.au/omega36&9-oil-for-dogs-horses.html

Check out Rodney Habib Face Book page about Vitamin D, Rodney Habib the Pet Nutrition blogger spends 45mins a day preparing his 3 dogs raw diet, they are feed organic grass feed meats, he thought their fish oil capsule was supply their vitamin D, he started to look into Vitamin D deficiency & went to his vets had bloods taken from his dogs & they were low in vitamin D, he was in shock couldn’t believe it…… join his Face Book Page he really opens your eyes to so many things, I love the bloke…

#82069 Report Abuse
    Cory C

Thanks for letting me know about this other Omega 3, 6 and 9 oil it sounds very good! Where do you purchase this? We live in Canada so I’m not sure if it would be available there or not? I never thought about vitamin D deficiency in dogs but it makes sense.

#82149 Report Abuse

Thank you for the extensive info! I very much appreciate it. Rodney Habib is great, too. Excellent resource. I will give the oil you recommended a go next time I run out of whole sardines.

🙂

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.