Raw diet and crystal cure

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Raw diet and crystal cure

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Karen J

I’ve been on here many times about the beginning formation of struvite crystals, but I’m having a problem finding a food Trixie will continue to eat.

Would like to know if a raw diet might be in order? Totally forget the BB kibble.

She loves the Wellness no grain lamb but now that I mix it with kibble she can’t be bothered. Also it gives her terrible gas. She seems tired of the Stella and Chewy too.

I got organic chicken jerky from a place in Maine but that’s only a safe treat. Anything good for training treats that won’t make her condition worse.

#58455 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

A raw diet would be best; it has the most moisture which is very important. Are you looking to do a pre made or are you doing your own?

#58498 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Well right now I need to stick with pre-made. Any recommendations. She’s so picky ):

#58500 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You have to decide if you want prey model (no fruits or veggies) or barf type, with them.
    I don’t do fruits or veggies, I buy ground & scoop it out. Premades that are prey model are Vital Essentials & Primal. Pretty sure Primal is.

Pre mades that have them are Stella & Chewys, Natures Variety (I don’t like them), Answers and Steve’s real food as well.moh and Darwins (available only from them).

#58512 Report Abuse
    Karen J

okay I’m going to try prey model vital essentials and/or primal first.

she like pears and apples, I can give those as treats. anyway i believe they are more meat eaters.

Thank you so much!

#58524 Report Abuse
    Leisa D

http://dogcathomeprepareddiet.com/diet_and_urinary_tract_stone_and.html#dog

You may want to visit Dr. Strombeck’s site for urinary tract diets. His website is a fantastic resource for understanding canine/feline nutrition. These are cooked diets, which may make it easier for many who want to find something between RAW and Kibble or the very expensive RAW commercial offerings.

I made one of his recipes (not urinary) yesterday using my .5 RMB grind (ground chicken quarters with liver/heart/gizzard/vegetables) and .5 ground turkey (same ratios) as the meat source RAW. To say that it was a really big hit is an understatement.

Whatever recipe you make for her that satisfies the dietary requirements can be relegated to an oven (no bone). I use a cookie press and spritz it out on a silipat lined baking sheet and cook. I then take them off the sheet, put on a rack and back in the warm oven. Once crunchy take a knife and cut into appropriately sized pieces. Store in baggies in freezer. Take out what you need.

#58525 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Thank you Leisa- When I have time I’ll give that a try too.

#58539 Report Abuse
    Karen J

Okay so I tried Nature’ Valley Prairie Raw Frozen last night…she ate it up, this morning at 5am she left it so before I left…it had been out for about an hour…I wrapped in plastic and put it into the fridge. Can I give it to her tonight? Is it safe?

I gave her a grain free Petite Entree from Wellness and she ate that!

#58542 Report Abuse
    Karen J

I couldn’t find the recommended brands at Unleashed.

#58586 Report Abuse
    Karen J

She loves Petite Entrees by Wellness needs 4 a day.
    ouch$

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.