šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Deborah M

My dog has had off and on again rashes on his belly and “armpit” area…the vet has recommended Royal Canin HP – thinks it may be food related. Overall, RC HP has been fine, but it’s soooo expensive and I find it hard to believe that it’s the only one out there. I mean if we have to pay it, we have to pay it, but I’d like to be a better steward of my finances if I can. Does anyone have a recommendation for a dog food that is similar? I’ve seen a lot of ‘limited ingredients’ dog food, just curious if anyone has tried anything that worked as well as RC HP. Thanks!

#54099 Report Abuse
    Katy G

I’ve never fed mine RC, but when my young Dane mix started getting hives on and off, I started feeding all of them Wellness Simple Limited Ingredient foods. They each have a novel protein and potato or oatmeal instead of rice. It looks like the RC foods are chicken and rice, which are actually pretty common sources of food sensitivities. Since I switched to the Wellness Simple, I’ve noticed a huge improvement in their coats and just overall health, and my Dane hasn’t gotten hives since. So it could be worth a try!

#54100 Report Abuse
    Deborah M

Excellent, I actually had saved info on that one…tried Holistic Select and it did not work. Thanks!

#54101 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

While Holistic Select is a good food it really isn’t a limited ingredient diet. I use Wellness Simple Small Breed and love it.

#54148 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hydrolyzed proteins are expensive, very expensive. There is no cheaper food “like” HP. However, you can feed regular dog foods, if you put in the work to figure out what your dog is reacting to. What were the protein and carb sources in the food you were feeding? Try foods that have different protein and carb sources.

#54150 Report Abuse
    Deborah M

That’s good advice…thank you!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.