🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 84 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

You guys know I’m always on the look out for a deal, and to better the dogs diets at the same time. I was surfing around and came across Hare Today. I know several of you guys use it, so I decided to check it out.

I’ve figured out that I need to keep it at $3.89 and less, to keep the price competitive to what I am doing now, which is See Spot Live Longer, and sale meats (lots of sale whole roaster/frier chickens @.@). Which should be easy, I think.

However, what is shipping like? Is there a “free shipping when you spend so much” deal they do? I need to stick with less than $30 a month. If it needs to be bought in bulk, thats fine with me. Shipping is a huge factor on this right now.

What makes me really like this idea, though is that the prices are cheaper than in store (which means nothing if shipping is too much lol), and I can get Bentley more than mass amounts of chicken, because the variety here sucks. Its either chicken, beef, chicken, pork, chicken, maybe some random organ someone ordered at Publix but never picked up, more chicken… Everything but the chicken and some pork is just so pricey, $5 a pound and up! I’m thinking he is still having problems with chicken though, because even though he’s been on raw for some time now, he still breaks out and gets red and itchy and yeasty at times. I know the grass and rain and other pollens has something to do with it, but I can’t help but wonder if completely cutting out chicken would help him even more, or maybe cutting out the pre-mix, if its something in the SSLL.

If I can cut out the SSLL, are the meat/organ/bone grinds on Hare Today balanced? Like this beef blend, for example?

“Ground Beef/Organs/Tripe/Bone, 5 lb $19.20

Hormone and antibiotic free beef. This is approximately 80% meat, 7% tripe, 7% organ [heart,liver, lung, and kidneys] and 6% bone.
    Fine Ground

This food is low in Sodium. It is also a good source of Vitamin B6, Phosphorus, Zinc and Selenium, and a very good source of Protein and Vitamin B12”

I would think yes, but I figured I’d make sure. According to the calculator, he’d only need about 3.84 oz. He currently gets a 5 oz chunk of whatever meat I give him and SSLL, and a little coconut oil because the princess won’t lap up the SSLL anymore without the coconut oil, or a good deal of blood from the meat. Rotten little dog lol

Also, since I’m considering cutting chicken from his diet, should I also cut out other birds, and stick with beef, pork and maybe fish? He didn’t really like fish based kibbles when he was a puppy, and he’s not a huge fan of fish oil, but maybe he’d like raw fish? The whole sardines or anchovies, or whatever they were, on Hare Today are right in my price range at $3.85 a pound, and I know whole fishes are balanced meals. I’d also like if you guys that know the site better than I do to recommend some goodies that are in my feeble price range. Mixes of meats to make balanced meals are also good, as well. Just keep the average price per pound in my price range 🙂

As far as bones and RMB, I can just get those in store, I think. Some prices are cheaper at Publix than Hare Today, so I’ll price shop for bones first before deciding where I’ll buy them.

I’d also like to know if there are any other sites like this that may be cheaper, or have other things. I’m also looking at complete freeze-dried and dehydrated meals, if anyone can recommend any that are going to be about $30 or less a month for an 8 pound dog.

Thanks a bunch guys!

#62263 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Can’t help, but bumping your post up, plus I’d love to learn more about Hare Today’s stuff… I may be able to eventually incorporate it into Bruno’s diet.

#62264 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Hare Today costs about a buck a pound to ship down here. Lately, I’ve got 50 lb boxes for about $30, so there is a break for getting more. I also get stuff from My Pet Carnivore. They are a little cheaper, but shipping is a little more so it ends up being about the same for me.

Micah can’t have chicken, but does great on turkey and duck. I haven’t tried goose yet.

#62267 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thanks Patty! Does My Pet Carnivore have meat/organ/bone mixes like Hare Today does? I’m back on my phone now so internetting isn’t as easy right now lol

There is a butcher I found kind of close to my house. Only thing is, it’s a German butcher, so it sounds kind of scary lol

#62277 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Yes, they have meat/organ/bone grinds plus some special tripe mixes and some other stuff.

#62279 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Great, thanks! I’ll have to check it out again when I’m back on the computer.

How much luck do you have buying things from the butcher? Does it tend to be cheaper than online or the grocery store?

#62459 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I love Hare but cant tell you about shipping. Make an order, including shiping, to see what the cost is. Look at Reel Raw. If you order a certain amount, there IS free shipping. 10 pounds of beef and chicken complete mix is $30.00 I think.

#62462 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Don’t be afraid of a German butcher! They’re the ones who perfected the art!

Growing up, there was a butcher shop where I lived that had a third generation German trained Master Sausage Maker who passed along his skills to his sons. They’ve closed up shop for human products and now make raw dog food. 🙂

You aren’t by chance on the home delivery route for MPC, are you? I can order all I want and pick it up at a designated drop-off site for only $10.

#62463 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Shipping for me is about $1 per pound for Hare’s stuff but it’ll depend on which state you’re located. I’m in the NY and Hare is in PA so that’s why it’s cheaper for me than My Pet Carnivore. Someone living further west would probably be better off ordering from MPC. I’m always weary of any site that offers free shipping on raw, every one I’ve seen just jacks the prices of the products up to compensate for the free shipping and in the end it doesn’t end up saving any money.

#62475 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Reel Raw does look a bit more expensive. The 10 lb complete ground mixes may be cheaper though, at just $3 a pound. I’d have to recheck on Hare Today. That would last about a month, too, since he only eats about 4 oz a day on SSLL right now, and should eat less on all raw according to the calculator.

How do I find out if I am, HDM? That sounds really good if I could find a place close by to pick up.

#62516 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Do you mean find out which is cheaper to ship to your location? To do this I just make a cart on both sites I want to compare and fill it with the name number of pounds of food and then compare the shipping costs.

Oh btw, not sure if you know but I hope you’re stocked up on dinner mix because they’re not making it any more. 🙁 I just tried to order some the other day and ended up having to order some Preference from Chewy. I guess some company is going to start producing some mixes for Steve, not sure of all the details, but not until spring.

#62518 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I just opened a bag of SSLL, thankfully. I ordered it sometime in early December. I emailed them to make sure they got my order, and I asked when they were going to have their new products available and they said they didn’t have an exact date just yet. The bag should last about 3 months. I also have a bag of TruDog and some Natures Variety frozen raw if I run out of SSLL before then lol

I meant to find out if I could do local pick up for MPC, but I’m nowhere near close enough anyways lol I don’t even live in the right state for free shipping from Reel Raw! However, 50 lbs for free shipping is fine, I think. I’ll get creative if I have to. I’m also trying to figure out if the pre-made meals are going to be cheaper, or if i can find a decent way to get to 50 lbs for free shipping and still keep it with in my price range. They do this weird free shipping at 50 lbs increments thing lol I’ll have to play with on the computer.

#62520 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

I was thinking you were in Missouri for some reason, but I believe I just recalled you’re in the Pacific Northwest, aren’t you? Here are the home delivery maps for MPC:https://www.mypetcarnivore.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=102&Itemid=129&lang=en

#62523 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Noooooooo. I’m no where near there. I live in Florida lol

I just realized how expensive it’s going to be to buy 50 lbs of meat at a time LOL However, the price per pound is very cheap, and it’s the cheapest way to cut chicken out of his diet. A 50lbs order will also last him almost 5 months. I’ll have to talk mom into it. I buy the others dog food by setting aside $10 a week and binge buying when something good pops up. I bet I could talk mom into doing something similar. Put x-amount in my savings account every week, and I’ll deal with the ordering when it comes time… She wants to set down and look at the site together before we fully decide on it. She’s worried about how the meat is handled before it gets to us. If it’s been handled properly, kept at the right temp, not mixed together, etc.

Also, I gave Bentley a whole egg (cracked up, shell crushed) as the base to his SSLL yesterday (instead of the usual water), and he loved the yolk and white, but didn’t eat the shell. And of course he loved his deboned turkey leg lol He loves bones so I’m not sure why he wouldn’t eat the shell. Little brat lol

#62525 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Akari,
    regarding Reel Raw, if you buy in 50 pound increments, free shipping! Those of us in the north east get free shipping 30 pounds and over.

#62527 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Yeah, I’ve worked it out that if mom puts away $8-10 a week, that will cover it. I just bought him a big huge pork tenderloin ($1.99 a pound!) so we’re good for several weeks. I will have to arrange for some other food to be purchased before that, though, because he’s low on turkey and what he has will not last him the minimum two weeks pork needs to freeze. Hopefully something good goes on sale. Maybe I’ll get him some more beef hearts for something yummy and quick lol

#62531 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So I just finished doing up Bentleys tenderloin. 7.85 pounds made him something like 28 meals. Ooh to have a small dog! Aaaaand, I actually made it how you’re supposed to this time and mixed the meat and mix together in a big bowl. I did add about a cup of water to it to mix better, and not be so sticky. I usually do just under a tablespoon per 4-5 oz serving of a chunk (or cubes/pieces if it’s hearts) of meat, so I can’t really pre-measure otherwise. I’ve never bought this much ground meat before (had them throw the whole tenderloin in the grinder– he said right away “are you feeding this to the dog??” I buy too much meat…. Lol) so i never really thought about putting it all together before freezing lol

One thing: I’ve got 11 or 12 days of turkey left. Should I buy some beef or something to hold him off that couple extra days from the pork, or would it be ok to start feeding the pork at the 12-13 day frozen mark?

I never realized exactly how much he got out of a pound of meat. Those 5x 10lb packages I’m gunna have to buy from Reel Raw are going to last him the rest of his life LOL

#62532 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Also, I’m wondering, for the sake of space, if I order off that prepared meals things Reel Raw has going on, and I doubled his weight on the meal sizes, if that would be more economical, and space-convenient. We don’t have a big freezer, or space for a chest freezer. I can’t help but think of how big the 5 lb packs of hamburger are at work, and how we would have to have 10 of those in our freezer! LOL

#62940 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Guys guys guys guys guys!!!! We’re getting an Aldi’s!!!!!!!! Yay! So excited 😀 I hope their meat is cheap and they have a good variety. I know they are a good store to buy from.

Also, I’ve been price shopping online and found Raw Feeding Miami. They have pretty good prices! I’m thinking I’ll email them and see about their planning/budgeting thing they have. It’s nice they do that 🙂

#62988 Report Abuse
    Jennifer H

Hey, a fellow Floridian!!!! 😀

I’ve been looking at the Raw Feeding Miami too, can’t wait till they get an actual site up and running. They have some great stuff there.

I have difficulty finding good variety too, but recently one of the Winn Dixie’s near me had a crap ton of sliced beef heart on sale, so I stocked up on that. They also had pork tails & beef livers on sale, too.

I have a small dog too, isn’t it great?? lol. I’m trying to feed him PMR with RMBs and organs and chunks, but it is seriously hard trying to get a good variety/balance with 4oz of food.

#63447 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Akari-Re: Reel Raw, I bought one of their 10 lb beef mixes last summer and thought it looked quite fatty. I never emailed them to ask about the fat content though. So just a bit of info before you order 50 lbs. I do regularly order the smaller packages of novelty meats and the RMBs that I can’t get at my grocer and only feed those a few times per week.

#63496 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Thats what I’ve been seeing. I guess I’ll just continue with SSLL for now :/

#63531 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

So I cought a glimpse of Bentleys teeth this morning, so I lifted his lip and was surprised at what I saw!

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx294/Akari53/077416C7-F70B-438D-AA01-3103924E0BC1_zpsqjap1hr2.jpg

I can’t believe his teeth are this yucky still after having been on raw for so long. He really doesn’t get much ground, most of it is large pieces of meat and sometimes little chunks, and he gets a bone about once a week. I mean, his teeth aren’t terrible, but they aren’t fantastic, either. Weird. I’ve got a lot of chews for him that I just got from PetFlow, so I’ll make sure he’s always got something to gnaw on and see if his teeth clean up at all.

#63532 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I’ve used ProDen Plaque Off before on one of the fosters with super horrible breath and bad teeth. He had to lose weight before getting a dental but the two months I had him on the ProDen really helped alot! The ProDen and giving him chew bones during the two months of dieting really made a difference for him. I haven’t used any oral gels yet but was thinking about it.

#63534 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Not an expert, but his gums look a little pink. Will he let you brush them or use the gauze system that I use?

#63536 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I’ve been wanting to try water additives for Ginger’s teeth– is that what that is Sandy? Either way, I don’t think Bentley would be too pleased about teeth brushing, but he would sit and take it if I made him, I think. He doesn’t really drink water any more, so a water additive wouldn’t work for him, but a spray or tooth paste and brush might… What kind of gauze do you use, Bobby Dog?

#63538 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Check out their website Akari. I never heard of it, but it looks interesting. I also found a PDF online explaining their product. You sprinkle it over their food.

BC was the one that mentioned it one day for brushing dog’s teeth. I have been using the system for my cats. Wrap a piece of gauze (I use the first aid gauze I have in the medicine cabinet) around your finger, smear some coco oil on it (or dog toothpaste) and gently massage away. Using your finger instead of a brush I think is more comfortable for them since you can adjust pressure and angles a little better. My one cat tolerates me for all his teeth, the others I just do sporadically throughout the week on different areas. It works! I took two of them into the Vet a few weeks ago and he said their teeth looked great and he didn’t even have to scrape off any plaque.

I like that comment, “he would sit and take it if I made him.” I haven’t tried it on Bobby. I am not sure about it with him because he is so in love with coco oil I think he will eat my finger. lol I do think he would be fine with it though. I haven’t had to do anything with his teeth, he has a beautiful white set of choppers. I check them often, so far so good.

#63547 Report Abuse

pugmomsandy,
    do you order that ProDen Plaque Off on line?
    If it helps even a little for Pepper that would be great, she has terrible plaque & she is too old to undergo a dental. I use oravet for her gums, but that plaque is almost impossible to get a handle on.
    She has never ( I guess) had any dental care,so brushing her teeth is a challenge & at 11 y.o. she is not willing to have my hands in her mouth too long.
    Thank you

#63548 Report Abuse
    Dori

Akari, what do you mean that he doesn’t really drink water anymore? Is there something going on with Bentley? I agree with Bobby dog also that his gum line looks really pink, bordering on red right where the teeth and gums meet.

#63549 Report Abuse

Commercial Raw Feeders,
    I could use some help.
    Just got some primal Raw for my puppy Millie.
    I took a big girl breadth , my questions how do i go about introducing this into Millie’s diet?
    Give a tiny amt. alone? I still feed her 3x a day-her noon meal is an orijen freeze dried patty-do u think I should switch w the primal?
    Can she eat the primal in her regular bowl or should I get her another stainless bowl?
    I am sorry if I sound a bit “out there” have never ever done this-just worried about Millie
    Thanks all in advance.

#63551 Report Abuse
    Kristin C

Hey Cheryl – I’m partly responding so I can opt out of yet another post. But, if it was me I would feed a small amount as a treat for a few days to see how she tolerates the new raw food. Once you’re confident with that then I would feed her a breakfast meal of it (or lunch too I guess). I wouldn’t suggest trying anything new for an evening meal in case it upsets her. It’s not fun to wake up in the middle of the night to a barfing dog:) Good luck to you.

#63552 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Cheryl – I bought it online. If she’s already eating Orijen freeze dried patty which is raw, then she should be able to transition to frozen raw. Do you rehydrate the Orijen? I only wash the dog bowls once a week…maybe. And I use the same bowl for kibble, canned, raw, etc. In the beginning, the bowls got washed after each meal. But that was 3 yrs ago or so.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #63555 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Cheryl. When I switched my three girls from kibble to commercial raw foods (I started with Primal Pronto Beef) about three years ago I never did a transition period and none of them had any gastrointestinal upsets. I’ve never looked back. I no longer remember who told me to just go “cold turkey” and do it and so I did. Many friends have asked my advice on making the transition to raw I have to tell them I never transitioned. I just fed them the raw. Of course, it took me a while to get up the nerve to do it, and me being me, I researched everything to death for months and months and months. Then one day just got my nerves together and just did it. I had the food in the freezer for a couple of weeks before I was brave enough to do it. It seems so funny to me now that I was so nervous about the concept of feeding raw. Good Luck, you’ll be fine and like me wondering what the big fuss was all about. Which Primal did you get, by the way?

Pro Den Plaque Off. Some local pet food stores carry it but a lot of on line sites carry it also. I usually order from Amazon. Follow directions for the size of your dog and just sprinkle it on your dogs food once a day.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 3 months ago by Dori.
    #63556 Report Abuse

Thank you as always Kristen,
    I agree never did introduce anything at night –
    Good advice
    Please don’t opt out of this thread
    I will have to post on every thread to find you 😉

#63558 Report Abuse
    Dori

Cheryl. That’s funny. About having to post on all threads looking for Kristin.

#63563 Report Abuse

Pugmomsandy,
    Yes I do add water to the patty – & it becomes mushy I add a few cooked carrots . Does it matter that I rehydrate the patty?
    I am so nervous to feed raw – but if it is good for MILLIE it’s got to be good for me.

Thank you for the plaque info
    I have a spray called denta sure but pepper doesn’t like something sprayed in her mouth so I put it on a gauze pad works just so so

#63564 Report Abuse

Dori,
    I got the primal rabbit & Venison -I forgot (I am so sorry ) if it was Susan or Sandy or someone else that mentioned these would be a lower fat option to try for MILLIE since fat is a concern .
    Well I am you way back then, I am so worried I don’t want the bags to have freezer burn before I use it – I will be like you just open the bag & put a few in the refrigerator
    I didn’t realize the dental product is something you put on their food. I know you have checked out the ingredients & assume they are ok
    Well if Kristen goes MIA – we will have to spread out to find her.
    Thank you again
    I will certainly let you know when I open that 1st bag of primal

#63567 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Cheryl. The only one of Primal’s actual raw foods that has a heavy fat to protein ratio is the beef but I believe that is true of all raw foods. I feed rotation to my three dogs so none of that bothers me and as I have said so often a every single food that you feed your dogs does not have to be complete and balanced. Balanced and complete has to be met over the long haul. If you are feeding a meal that is not complete and balanced in a rotational feeding plan, you don’t have to worry so long as the other meals, or at least most other foods in rotation, are complete and balanced. As you do your due diligence and research into feeding raw, whether it is commercial raw or home made raw, not every single meal has to be complete and balanced.

The ingredient in Pro Den Plaque Off for animals is dried seaweed meal, that it. Why or how it works I don’t really know. I’ve used it for quite a while in addition to brushing my dogs teeth daily. It seems to help. How much? I can’t really say but as it is not an ingredient that any of my dogs are sensitive or intolerant of I continue to use it daily in their morning meals. When I add or offer any new ingredient, supplement or food to my dogs I always do it in their a.m. meal. I don’t give anything new in their dinner meal. I don’t want to deal with any issues or surprises in the middle of the night.

#63606 Report Abuse

Hi Dori,
    It’s funny about feeding raw, & what the term implies.
    The orijen freeze dried, I just opened & crushed & gave her, yet the thought of opening commercial raw freaks me out, i keep asking should i wait should i introduce it after this bag of Orijen is finished? Very silly I know.
    These babies are my kids, since I have no children, I worry so-some may not understand, but, I feel you do.
    The breeder called me & told me she just had another litter with 4 females-do I want another, I am so tempted to say yes to give Millie a pal her own age,but fear it would be way too much for pepper to handle,since getting Millie in Oct., its been hard on Pepper her age & add the blindness, I keep going back & forth.
    Anyway, I digress, oh yes I agree with you I never never introduce anything at night, believe it or not, i don’t even like introducing anything over the weekend, when the vets are off.
    I dislike the ER here, cost a fortune of money & not very nice.
    I just ordered the Pro Den on Amazon, i will try it on pepper.
    I am hoping to cut down on pepper’s dose of reglan next week since she seems to be ok on the Honest Kitchen-she had the turkey this am & I upped the protein with some beef-made her bowl so shiny almost didn’t have to clean it!!!
    you have good weekend

#63613 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

Dori, Bentley doesn’t drink much water since we switched him to canned and then raw. He takes a few laps every couple days or so, maybe even once a week.

I’m gunna look into that ProDent stuff and see how the prices are. If it goes over the food, I can give it to all the furry creatures if it’s cost effective.

Cheryl, I wash the dogs and cat bowls after every meal. Bentley gets raw, Ginger gets wetted dry and the cat gets canned.

#63614 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Cheryl,

Yes I do know how you feel about your babies. I was like this even when my son was alive. (He passed away a little over eight years ago at the age of 22). He used to refer to the dogs as his sisters (we had Hannah then who’s 15 now and we another dog, a Tibetan Terrier named Tracy. She passed two months before Matthew did). Sorry I only mention in because though I no longer have children, my dogs have always been my babies and family members so I get exactly where you’re coming from. Of course, my personality makes me research everything like crazy, add to that that I’m a Virgo and you get the picture. I never believed much in the silliness of horoscopes other than to read them in the morning papers years ago but as I’ve gotten older I realize I’m pretty much everything they say about Virgo’s. Go figure???? If you’re uncomfortable and nervous about the raw food, then you should probably wait until Monday morning when your vet is open again. It’s in your freezer so it’s not like it’s going to go bad or anything.

I also agree with your reasoning on the possibility of holding off on getting a puppy. It may very well be a bit disconcerting to Pepper. I’ve forgotten how old both your dogs are. Also, is it going to be too much on you. When we brought Lola and Katie into our home (they are 5 now) Hannah was 10 years old and it took her a very long time to adjust to the two new girls. I was surprised because she’s never had problems in the past. I can only think that either it was her age or she just liked being the Queen with no subjects below her. lol! Who knows really. Sometimes it works out perfectly fine. I just don’t know how Pepper’s blindness would affect her having a little squirmy puppy running amok in the house as the do. You’d really be the best judge as to her temperament and stress coping skills. Have a good weekend yourself. It’s cold here in Atlanta but I’m thankful that the sun is out. In the Summer I’m always wishing that the sun would go away.

#63616 Report Abuse
    Dori

Ok Akari. I know what you mean about their not drinking much water on raw. I hadn’t realized Bentley was an almost all raw diet. Now it makes sense.

There are two sizes of the Pro Dent Plaque Off. I bought the larger size because it was more of a savings and I use it every day on all three dogs. It does take a number of weeks (I forget how many…it says it on the side of the container) before you see improvement. It does a pretty decent job. I brush all three dogs teeth but I find that the Plaque Off does help. I hope it works for all your dogs. Have a great weekend.

#63617 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

He’s on a completely raw diet now and has been for a good while now. I guess about 4 months. Seems longer… Lol

How much of that stuff do you put over your dogs food? They’re about the same size as Bentley, so it should give me a pretty good idea of what to expect. I think the website said something like 4 weeks, but if you don’t see an improvement in 8 weeks to use a little more each feeding.

#63625 Report Abuse
    Dori

Recommended dose for small dogs up to 25 lbs. (and cats) is 1/2 to 1 scoop daily. It comes with it’s own scoop. I add 1/2 scoop once a day on their breakfast meal. I think it actually took about 8 weeks before I saw any improvement. No, I’ve kept to the 1/2 scoop only per day. I was concerned that since the measurement for small dogs goes from 1/2 to 1 scoop up to 25 lbs. and my dogs are 5, 6 and 7 lbs. I thought going up might be too much for them. I could be totally wrong. The medium size for dogs is 25 – 50 lbs. and that’s 1 – 2 scoops so I stuck with the 1/2 scoop. I think you should certainly just start with the 1/2 scoop. If you go above that after 8 weeks or so, please let me know if you noticed any gastrointestinal differences. I’ve just been afraid to do it.

By the way, what raw foods are you feeding Bentley? So glad you went completely raw with him. What differences have you seen with him now that he’s been on raw for four months there must be plenty. 🙂

#63633 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The scoop is tiny. It’s more like a “pinch” or a “dash”. It will last a long time.

#63634 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Sandy. What are your thoughts on using more than the recommended dose or actually, in my case with my dogs, using the lower end of the dosing recommendations as opposed to using the higher end of dosing suggestion as I mentioned my reasons to Akari?

#63638 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Just a word of warning on the ProDen Plaque Off. I was just reading about it because I was going to purchase for my cats. Specifically for my senior kitty. But, it says on the site that it contains iodine and not to feed any pet or human if they have thyroid issues. I won’t be giving it to my hyper-t kitty after all.
    And yes, they make it for humans as well.

#63641 Report Abuse
    Dori

It’s an issue for hyperthyroid but not hypothyroid. Hannah has hypothyroid (at least half her life) so I checked with her vet and the company they both gave me the go ahead. But if one is hyperthyroid they should not use it. That’s why people or animals that are hyperthyroid are discouraged from eating fish…due to the iodine found in fish. Hypothyroid patients have no problem eating fish.

#63657 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Dori, when anything gives a weight range and a dosage range, I do like you did. If my dog is at the bottom of the range, I dose for the bottom of the range. Only give more if it isn’t working at the lower dose.

#63664 Report Abuse
    Dori

Thanks BC. I thought I was using my common sense but I’m grateful to know you, of all people, would do the same. You know how it goes BC, sometimes you start to question yourself. As always, thanks. Hope you’re not getting sick of me thanking you but I will continue to do so. You and Shawna are my goto guru’s in dog nutritional.

Viewing 50 posts - 1 through 50 (of 84 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.