šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Author
    Sarah

I am hoping to get advice on how to handle a Rabies shot issue with Pearl my 13-14 week* old puppy. Pearl the puppy is 3/4 Golden Retriever and 1/4 Border Collie and an absolute delight of a dog!
    *I left her paperwork at home and can’t remember her exact birthday off hand and can update with exact info later this evening

Issue/Problem/Question:
    I work at Amazon HQ in Seattle which is a dog friendly office, meaning Pearl the puppy can start coming into work with me each day instead of being crated at home Monday-Friday 9-11 hours each day, which is what is currently happening. However, she cannot come into work with me until she has been cleared by Amazon vaccine requirements which is only to have her Rabies shot, and there is no go around on this. I have a vet appointment tonight and really love and trust our vet. I am not hyper sensitive on vaccinating in general (ex. I vaccinate myself AND my future children WILL be vaccinated) but I do believe in doing one’s homework. I have read a large range of ages in which is okay/safe/should do the rabies vaccine in. I would love to get the other opinions on what I should do in this circumstance. I hate having her crated all day and being able to bring her into work and have the diverse interactions with dogs and humans could be such an amazing impact on her long term.

I am interested to hear what age you think is the youngest to get this vaccine done and what the true level of risk is by getting it done at what ages. Considering the risks/rewards we are facing, how long would you wait to do the Rabies vaccine?

Thanks in advance for your thoughts and expertise!

~Sarah and Pearl

#63342 Report Abuse
    Sarah

Also, I would love people’s thoughts on Leptospirosis vaccine as well. We are a very active couple in the PNW and have plans to have Pearl the puppy out on all these adventures moving forward. Pearl will also be a regular at the Marymoor Dog Park in Redmond (a giant dog park oasis) once she gets the thumbs up from the vet.

Thanks again!

#63350 Report Abuse

Pearl,
    My vet said 4 months is ok for rabies, BUT the breeder says 6 months is when they should get it, because the shot works better.
    I didn’t do Lepto, I also believe that one should do as few shots as possible at one time, it may mean you have to take Sarah back more to the vet and they may have to order the shots for you.Most of the shots come all in one.. It’s easier on their little bodies
    Now I don’t go to dog parks, someone on the site that does may be able to guide you on shots that keep your gal safe when her exposure to other kids is an issue.
    hope this helps, she is precious. good luck
    Cheryl

#63354 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The Lepto vaccine only covers 4 or 6 different serovars, depending on which vaccine. Lepto is like the common cold, there are hundreds of different ones. The vaccine only protects against the ones that are actually in the vaccine, so 6 out of hundreds. So first you need to ask your vet if there have actually been any cases of Lepto in your area and then you need to ask if they were the same serovars that the vaccine covers. If the answer to both of these isn’t yes, then take a pass on the Lepto vacc. If your area actually has the right Lepto serovars then your vet should have received official notice of it.

#63356 Report Abuse

Pearl,
    I forgot to mention, if you can get a copy (on amazon) of the Paleo Dog by Jean Hofve, dvm.
    There is a chapter on vaccinations & the immune system. On pg 89 the dr. says 6 months is best because the immune system matures.this chapter alone was worth the price of the book!!

#63378 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

It is the law that a dog needs a rabies shot by the time it’s 4 months old, so it’s not a matter of should you wait or shouldn’t you. If you don’t vaccinate the dog by 4 months of age and you don’t have an exemption from a vet you’re breaking the law. For most states rabies vaccines are only required every 3 years. You get a 1 year at 4 months, then a year later you can get a 3 year, then every 3 years thereafter. IMO – the benefits of being able to bring a dog to work (and to many other social settings such as obedience classes, daycare, boarding, etc. etc.) FAR outweigh the very very small risk that your dog will suffer a negative side effect to the rabies vaccine. I do think dogs should be vaccinated for rabies, I just think it’s unfortunate that they must be re-vaccinated every 3 years (probably not necessary) but because the rabies vaccine requirements are state law any opinions on the matter really are irrelevant. 4 months, 1 year and 4 months, then every 3 years period.

Concerning the lepto vaccine – I personally do not vaccinate my dogs for lepto and unless a dog was at a particularly high risk for contracting it I probably wouldn’t recommend it either. The lepto vaccine is short acting, only protects against a few serovars (as patty pointed out) and has a higher incidence of adverse reactions than many of the core vaccines.

This is from “Angry Vet”:

Leptospirosis: There are hundres of serovars of leptospirosis, and vaccination for one serovar does not necessarily protect against the others. It is also transmissible to people from their pets if infected thru infected urine. Leptospira organisms prefer warm, moist, alkaline environments. They are more likely to be found in stagnant or slow moving water. Lepotospirosis is a bacteria (not a virus) and bacterial vaccinations do not provide long term immunity. You must booster yearly. Some have suggested that the protective immunity against leptospirosis is even less than one year. Anecdotally, the leptospirosis vaccine is known to cause the most frequent and violent reactions. With these facts in mind, except in environments where leptospirosis is a severe threat, the benefits, in the opinion of Angryvet, do not outweigh the risks. Limit your petā€™s contact with rodent populations and limit your petā€™s exposure to stagnant water or flooded soil to minimize chance of infection. If there are known outbreaks in your area, you may re-consider. We donā€™t use this vaccination on our own pets and rarely recommend it to our patients. – See more at: http://www.angryvet.com/vaccinations/#sthash.eWUk6ju7.dpuf

#63385 Report Abuse

Hound Dog Mom,
    Could you clarify something for me-if you vaccinate at 4 months for rabies, do you wait until the Pup is 1yr & 4 months old to get another rabies? Or do you vaccinate when the pup is a year old? I ask because my vest also said Millie needs rabies at 4 months, I did & the breeder told me I should have waited until she was 6 months old, anyway does Millie get another rabies when she is a year old or do I wait 1 year from her last shot??
    thanks for the clarification.
    Where I live they are for the 1st time offering 3 yr rabies-so that’s what I will get, do you suggest she get parvo distemper again? I am very very wary of over vaccinationing i prefer to do only what is necessary
    Thank you
    Cheryl

#63387 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

The first rabies rabies vaccine is a one year vaccine, so if you vaccinated at 4 mos, at 1 yr 4 mos, you’d get the three year booster

#63390 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Like aquariangt said – 1 year after the first shot so the dog would be 1 yr 4 mo.

#63407 Report Abuse

aquariangt & HDM thanks to you both very much

#69816 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Some info on Vaccinations http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/why-vets-dont-recognize-vaccine-reactions/ This article has information on shots providing life long immunity. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2011/12/14/lifelong-immunity-%E2%80%93-why-vets-are-pushing-back/ Vaccinating dogs- ten steps to eliminating unnecessary vaccinations. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/blog/2009/04/22/no-unnecessary-dog-shots/ What you must learn about the Rabies vaccination for dogs. http://www.dogs4dogs.com/truth4dogs

#69818 Report Abuse
    Anonymous
    #69827 Report Abuse
    JeffreyT

Excellent links LabsRawsome and LM. Every pet owner needs to see this.

#69910 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Thank you, Jeffrey. šŸ˜€
    Leptospirosis Vaccine and Kidney Failure In Dogs http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/vaccine-induced-leptospirosis/
    Titers: An Important Tool To Prevent Over Vaccination in Dogs http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/titers-avoiding-over-vaccination-in-dogs/
    Is your pets vaccine contaminated? Vaccine Contamination http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/vaccine-contamination/

#71606 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome
    #72095 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome
    #85342 Report Abuse
    LabsRawesome

Info on vaccines and health problems they cause. http://www.dogsnaturallymagazine.com/vaccine-catherine-odriscoll/

#85343 Report Abuse
    anonymously
Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.