🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Author
    Shasta220

I’ve mentioned before the two GSDs that I take care of who are on Beneful food. Still can’t convince the owner to switch since his dogs are smelly, dull-coated, and prone to occasional hot spots (I’ve sent him a link to DFA, but he always replies with “thank you for your thoughts, we will take care of it.”)

Yesterday though…. Ugggggh I just want to cry, because I’ve known these dogs their whole lives (they are 7 now), and I love them about as much as my own dogs! Camile was taken to the vet for something, and came home with symptoms of a stroke. It’s been over 3wks now and the poor baby hasn’t gotten any better. She is off-balance and not very playful.

I added in “I’ve heard similar stories of dogs on Beneful.” To the owner, but he still shows zero interest in switching food.

If he doesn’t switch soon, he’s gonna have a dead dog. You don’t know how much I wish could go find the makers of Beneful and punch them in the face for being so misleading about their “healthy” food, and killing so many innocent dogs!

#42452 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Some people just dont want to listen, too SUBBORN….Is there anyway you could buy a bag of the Pure Balance or another good cheap kibble & show him when she gets better after eating the new kibble or what is the difference in price of a bag Peteful & offer to pay the diference & get the better food when on special….. I feel so sorry for alot of animals when they have stupid owners. I see it all the time at the dog park, there will be the healthy looking dogs with shinny coats, looking so healthy, then you’ll see a poor dog walking past, dull coat, itchy skin & scratching, I sometimes ask the owners what do you feed ur boy, if they mention Purina Pedigree or Peteful, I tell then about better foods at Pet Barn & how when you buy 10 you get the 11th one free, sometimes the owners do listen & will buy a premium feed, they are just un-educted on animal foods & dont understand, Beneful is on special at the moment at Coles.. I saw a lady looking at it the other day, I was going to tell her put it back & get the Opitmum instead u’ll save on vet bills in the end, but I couldn’t be bothered, the only reason I know about crap food is after rescuing my Patch & the health problems we had, it breaks my heart, watching him suffer now, I aksed the vet why is he so ill, he said he would of had a bad diet, poor boy…there’s lots more out there suffering. the only way is to educate & tell people about Beneful & other crap foods (Pedigree, Purina) open a Face book page called “crap dog foods what not to feed ur dog”….

#42456 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Man, Carlyn, idk what to say… it is sad that the dog is getting obviously sick and the man just doesn’t care to try something different in the food department, especially since you’ve said that he can afford it… it is so excruciatingly sad, but it happens… 🙁 I don’t know why the heck he is so stubborn… Is his vet ok with Beneful or wth is it…? 🙁

#42457 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

It is painful to watch. You know that so much good could be done with one little change.

I know that my aunts old dog ate Beneful. When they got a new puppy and I saw a big bag of Pedigree, I decided to take my cousins on a trip to the local Per Supplies Plus just to get some new things for the puppy. While we were there I pointed out what food I gave my dog and showed them the ingredients. Then gently eased into why it was good for her. Eventually we took a look at a bag of Beneful and they instantly agreed that it was no good.

Shasta, you know so much…it must be so frustrating to see this happening. Poor pups.

#42459 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I think the best people to “change” are the non-stubborn ones… cause you have clearly hinted, probably even more than just lightly, that there’s better out there than Beneful, but he’s just not budging. Same with my Science Diet fan of a roommate… he is so CERTAIN that it’s the best food ever because his vet is ok with it and because his brother fed his rottie it for 14 years, so yeah… My success stories are all of open-minded people who want the best for their dogs and don’t get defensive when talked to about dog food. Also, taking them shopping and showing them couponing tricks of the trade and where to find awesome sales has helped a ton! But, with stubborn people like the GSD owner you just can’t do that… unless one day you lose it and yell in his face about how he’s feeding his babies trash…

#42462 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I still don’t know what’s with him… He’s never said “I think Beneful is a great food”, just stuff like “they’re okay on this.”

I have no clue who his vet is or what they say about Beneful. But the vets here are lousy when it comes to nutrition…. Yeeeears ago, when Cassy was young and starting out w her skin problems (I didn’t know a thing about dog food. I thought the cute commercials and colorful chewy kibbles were good), my parents moved her to Beneful in hopes of helping out. Of course the vet approved! Worry not though. Cassy is a senior citizen enjoying her quality food now lol.

But I’m rather anxious about seeing Camile this weekend when I take care of her…a stroke of all things!!!? Gosh! Beneful makers, I hate you.

Gaaahhhhh if I could just know he read DFA’s review for Beneful! I mean, it’s pretty much impossible to still happily put Beneful in a bowl after reading that ingredient label (you don’t know how hard it is for me right now. I’m boarding two lab mixes at my house. They are, of course, on Beneful. I gave in and bought a bag of DN for one of them, b/c she ate a small handful of that junk and got to the point of her ribs sticking out. She is def a smart girl about what goes in her tummy!)

#42463 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

And it’s not about money or resources, either. I think he just is already in the routine of buying the Beneful and doesn’t want to change.

I tried getting him to try a bag of Kirkland since it’s super quality AND cheaper than Beneful… Ugggggggh.

He also gives them pedigree/Alpo canned :/ lousy canned doesn’t seem to bother me as much as the lousy kibble though, lol. I haven’t bothered to talk to him about canned, since I know he wouldn’t even remotely listen…

#42940 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Dang I’m so miffed! He finally gave in and switched foods since I was bugging him about it, but now they’re on Kibbles n bits.

Even though I know it’s equal to Beneful in quality, I refrained from looking at the ingredients….sure. I’ll pretend those weird spirally chewy ones are chunks of steak… And those meaty strips in the canned stuff? I will pretend that’s real meat, too…. *hits head on desk*

#42941 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

Oh, no!! Grrrr…that was not the point.

#42947 Report Abuse
    Naturella

You told me about this earlier, but I can’t help but feel for you and Camille… I think it’s crazy how he doesn’t seem to bother to read a dang label… 🙁

#43151 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I feel so horrible for her. I think I will wait a few weeks and then ask the owner to try a 4-5 star food, and if his dogs don’t improve in a month or so, then he can go back to the crappy stuff….. He gives Kibbles n bits canned as well now (used to be Alpo and Pedigree). It has flavors like Burger Dinner and Pasta Dinner. UGH (they look and smell like, well, canned ravioli or something!)

But I don’t get as offended about the canned as I do the dry, honestly… I would be a billion times happier to see them on that junk canned food, but at least have a quality kibble…

I’ll keep y’all posted when/if I give him that suggestion. Poor babies…

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.