Question Regarding Bravo dog food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Question Regarding Bravo dog food

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Author
    Labsnme
    Participant

Hi Folks,
    I have been feeding Bravo blend for over 7 years. Just last week I was looking over the Nutritional Analysis and noticed that the percentages on the packages is different with the latest bulk order of food I ordered. ( I have not opened any of it, and it is still all frozen in my freezer.)
    The amounts of Fat have changed from 6 percent to 18 percent in the Turkey Blend and it is more than the percent of protein. and the Chicken Blend also now has more fat than protein.
    My call to the company was unhelpful.
    I also noticed that a label from my previous order is different than the new order and both of those are different than what is listed online for these products.

Has anyone else noticed any issue with these products?

#18838 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Wow! That’s a huge change in fat level. Any dog prone to pancreatitis could have problems with that and owners wouldn’t even know. If you haven’t already, you should go over to the review side and post on the Bravo thread there.

#18842 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What did Bravo say when you called? It’s said here on dfa that the fat should be about half of the protein. I personally wouldn’t feed this new Bravo. Have you looked at other pre mades? Take a look at Darwin’s.

#18844 Report Abuse
    Labsnme
    Participant

The person I spoke with said that the chickens are fatter than they used to be. ! What a ridiculous answer. She did not address the fact that the Turkey numbers were so high.. or that all these labels are different . I said that the new label totally is the wrong profile for what I have been feeding. She did not comment. She said what was on the website needed to be update. I got the feeling I spoke with the wrong person in customer service.

I spoke with my vendor about this to see if they could help.. They also put a call in. Supposedly now they are saying the labels were all wrong and what is on the website is correct.( What is on the website does not match this new food I just bought.. or the one chub of food I have left from my order 2 months ago….

I don’t know what to believe, but don’t plan to feed this to my dogs.

I had to scramble to a local pet shop and by some Natures Variety, to get something quickly..
    But do like K9 Cravings… but will look at Darwin’s too. Thank you.

#18846 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

You have to order Darwin’s. if you look at the website, they have a very nice introductory offer. You ill need to sign up for auto delivery. Not to worry, one call and canceling is that easy.

#18852 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

The thing with Darwins is that the website is misleading or misprinted , its a known fact that Duck is higher in fat than turkey but thats not what they say on their website or on the phone. I have gone to 5 legit people asking them about duck being as lean as they say and no one agreed and this is why my dogs got Pancreatitis. Plus I am not a fan of veggies and fruits in a raw mixture, especially when you have yeast build up. But thats just my opinion and my unfortunate experience.

#18855 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

I’m with you NectarMom, I’m not a Darwin’s fan either but not because of the fruits and vegetables (I think fruits and vegetables in small quantities are a VERY important part of a balanced raw diet). The reason I don’t like Darwin’s has nothing to do with their food really, I just found them to have extremely poor customer service. I had to call about 4 or 5 times on two different days during their business hours before someone answered my call – unacceptable imo. My favorite commercial raw foods and what I’d recommend are Aunt Jeni’s or Answers. I also recently tried a brand called HPP (it’s not high pressure processed, the HPP just stands for healthy pet products or something like that) and it was really fresh looking and reasonably priced (similar price to Bravo Balance).

#18858 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

The carbs from the fruits and veggies in Darwins are still much lower than any kibble and many other raws. And I, fortunately, have had the opposite experience with their customer service as HDM, because that would frustrate me to the point of being a deal breaker, too.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by theBCnut.
    #18878 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I don’t know anything about pancreatitis but your dog got it solely because of Darwin’s?

I’ve had the exact opposite experience regarding their customer service. Phone calls answered right away except for once, when they had. Staff meeting but they returned the call promptly.

#18879 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Yes my dogs got Pancreatitis on the Duck from Darwins because Darwins told me and it states on their website that duck is lower in fat than Turkey. We were on their turkey meals for 6 weeks without any issues and then when we fed the duck meals BAM Pancreatitis. I am not saying that Darwins is a BAD Company and it may agree with some others dogs but trying the duck with 2 of mine caused Pancreatitis. I was only feeding Darwins and nothing else so I know it was the duck in their meals.
    The customer service is not up to par and everytime I eventually got someone on the phone ( very rare) they were very short with me. When you own a business and want to sell your product you have to please the customer to some extent. If I call you and leave a message on your answering service I expect a call back and when I don’t get that then it is horrible customer service to me and then that proves to me that they are not in it for the animals but to make a damn buck.

Hare Today called me back the same day and even though she was busy she answered all my questions in a pleasant manner and to me this does matter when purchasing from a Company.

Today is our first Day trying Hare Todays Rabbit and so far no reactions except one of mine would not eat it but we are still going to do Raw part time and Brothers Turkey and egg part time and see where we go from there but we are in no rush.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by NectarMom.
    #18883 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

NectarMom –

Phew – confirmation I’m not crazy and others have experienced Darwin’s poor customer service. 🙂 BTW – the rep I spoke to was a little short with me too..

I LOVE Hare – Tracy is awesome and so are their products. I’ve been ordering from there for years.

#18884 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

HDM

We know you’re crazy…about your dogs. I don’t think that anyone doubts your experience with Darwins. I think we’ve been lucky to catch them at the right time and you’ve been unlucky to catch them at the wrong time is all. They obviously have good customer service some of the time and not the rest of the time. Every single time I have called, I have talked to the same person, which leads me to wonder how small they really are. If only one person normally answers the phone, then there are bound to be times when they can’t get to the phone.

I love Hare too. I’ve only ever emailed them with one question and it was a weekend evening, so I knew I wouldn’t get an answer until Monday. Boy, was I wrong. Tracy got back to me with exactly the info I needed really quickly.

#18886 Report Abuse
    Labsnme
    Participant

I was hopeful that some other Bravo feeders might have some input. As interesting as the other foods may be. It is really not what I was asking fpr in the original thread on this.
    No doubt this information should be posted on the Darwin Review list?
    Just say’n.

#18887 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I have Bravo Balance here. Got it for one dog but its too bony or her. They had a recall a few months ao but I don’t remember the details.
    By the way, this is a Internet forum. Maybe you’re not familiar with them but forums frequently go off topic.

#18889 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Pardon us for being off topic. I’ll remember you are one of those in the future.

#18890 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Sorry, but we enjoy talking about dog food. One topic often leads to another. “Just say’n.”

To get back to the topic of Bravo – My dogs just ate some Bravo Balance beef formula about two weeks ago with no issues (mixed 5 lbs. Bravo Balance Beef with 5 lbs. Green Tripe and 2 lbs. Bravo’s frozen vegetables). I also used some of their boneless salmon last month with Dr. Harvey’s Veg-to-Bowl and it was fine. Didn’t happen to check to see if the nutrient analysis on my food matched what was on the Bravo website. I don’t feed Bravo or commercial raw in general enough to care.

#18891 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

BTW – Marie, I just tried the Steve’s I ordered and I have to agree with you that it’s not the freshest looking stuff (I got the nuggets). It wasn’t horrible (still better looking than HPP) but nothing like Hare or MPC. I do like the ingredients though and the dogs did fine with it.

• This reply was modified 10 years, 9 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #18893 Report Abuse
    Cyndi

I can’t spell the word diareha! So I’ll just stick with saying runny poop. Bailey hasn’t had either. Oh, sorry, off topic! I apologize, but I just couldn’t resist doing that! 🙂 @ Patty “you are one of those”! Lmao!!

#18905 Report Abuse
    NectarMom

Oh so sorry I did get off topic and it was all about my dogs…oops. Back on track now. I have never tried Bravo and I was going to but then they had a recall and I don’t do foods after they have a recall but even now if they did not have a recall I would not try it because they do the fruit and veggie thing too. Not saying it is not good food for some but just not for my dogs.

#18907 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

HDM: I got the Steve’s nuggets, the website has burgers but the store didn’t even know about them. I haven’t looked at them again but aren’t those one of the ones with too high fat for the protein?

I realize, looking at some of my posts, that I need to proof read when I use my iPad, oh the typos!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.