šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    aquariangt

I’m trying to see if Peas are causing a problem in my miniature schnauzer, it may not be, but it seems to be an ingredient that caused a bit of an issue based on when she’s been scratchy, and she got a small spot.

Anyway-would Pea Flour and Pea Protein cause similar problems as the ingredient “Peas”? Another problem I’ve been running into-and I’m sure with more digging I’ll find one, but seeing if anyone has an idea off the top of their head-is I’m trying to find something without peas but still lands over 30% protein. Merrick and Natural Balance aren’t things I’m particularly interested in. Orijen is an option eventually but I need to work her into something that high in protein (maybe, maybe she wouldn’t have an issue) now that I don’t have sensitive stomach boy with me, I may be able to get back to the higher proteins.

#45863 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Pea protein would be worse, since food reactions are normally to the protein part of the plant. Peas starch is “theoretically” OK, because it should be devoid of protein, but I don’t know what their method is for seperating starch or protein from the plant so I don’t know how pure it would actually be.

#45868 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

I’ll maybe try one of those out then. Thus far within my “regulars” Earthborn GF would all be out if I go this route-the small breed would be ok, but a bit lower in protein. Fromm’s 4star same issue, the grain inclusives are low in protein. Simply Nourish-I only like source. Acana all have peas.

Could maybe switch to grain inclusive recipes and go half kibble half canned instead of toppers I suppose as well

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.