šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Debbie B

I have a question about the Orijen Adult Dog food, how big is the kibble in this food? I just ordered a bag for my mini schnauzer and she likes small kibble, I didn’t even think of this when I ordered this food. If someone could answer this for me, I would much appreciate it!
    Thanks in advance.

#76916 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

The way Orijen is made, the kibble ends up being all different shapes and not uniform like a lot of foods including it’s partner Acana. However, the pieces are fairly big. If your girl likes small kibble this might not work. Since you ordered it though, don’t just junk the idea of feeding it. It’s an excellent food. Let your girl have a chance to decide if she’s comfortable eating it.

I’ve used Orijen Regional Red, Adult and Six Fish and my dog is eating Acana Pacifica atm, but we will be going back to Orijen since he likes it better.

#76917 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Like Pitlove said, Orijen is fairly big. My Cavalier is eating Regional Red right now. I hadn’t fed it in a while and it seems smaller than the last time I fed it. It might very well be fine for your pup. If you find its too big, give it a quick whirl in a coffee grinder or food processor.

#76925 Report Abuse
    Debbie B

Thank you both for this info. I’ll give it a try since I ordered it. She usually eats her dry food so fast, she sometimes gets choked on the larger kibble. I may try soaking it in warm water if it’s to big. That keeps her from gobbling it down too fast and then drinking water to the point that the food “blows” up in her tummy and makes her sick!

#77072 Report Abuse
    Debbie B

I got my babies Orijen food today, the kibble isn’t too big & it’s much softer than the other dog food brands that I’ve used. I started her out on Wellness as a puppy, they changed their kibble size & she actually got choked on it. I then put her on Blue Buffalo, she then got crystals in her urine (of course I cannot say it was the food that caused it), for the past 2 years she has been on Hi-Tek which is a 5 star food but the last bag I bought, she ate it twice & got sick & would not touch it again. Thankfully I had purchased two bags & I opened the other bag that had a different lot# & exp. date & she started eating it again. But that’s when I decided to try Orijen. Of course it’s going to take a week to get her completely on the Orijen. But I gave her 4 kibbles & she loved it. I also bought her a bag of their treats, gave her one of those & she loved it too. They aren’t really hard either. I’m surprised at how soft the food & treats are to be a dry food. No way could I break a kibble of the other dry foods but I got a Orijen kibble & put it between two fingers & pushed with my thumb & it broke, which surprised me! I did that because when she ate the kibble I didn’t hear her crunching it & didn’t know if she was just swallowing it whole. We’ll see how it goes………

#77080 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Debbie- Awesome, glad the first bag is going well so far. Orijen is an excellent food. Wish I could continue to feed it now, but it’s just too expensive for a large breed dog. I have Acana right now, which my dog hates, but it’s interesting how the pieces are a lot different in Orijen than Acana. Definitely looks like its cooked differently.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.