šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    weezerweeks
    Participant

My yorkies chloresterol in his blood work this year was 1 point higher than it should be according to the scale. The only thing I’ve been doing direr rent is coconut oil. I give him 1/4 teaspoon every day. He weighs 7.3lbs. I have heard that coconuts are high in chloresterol. Do I need to stop giving it or can I give it 3 days a week instead of every day? I love it his skin and coat is so beautiful and no more shedding when I bathe him. What do you think?

#65834 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi weezerweeks. I’m no expert on coconut oil, I can only tell you what I do. Our dogs are similar in size. I give each of the girls 1/8 of a teaspoon 3 times a week. Hannah (Maltese) weighs around 7.3 lbs. right now, Katie (Maltipoo) a little bit over 6 lbs. and Lola (Yorkipoo) a little over 5 lbs. In my opinion, which is all it is, is that you’re giving your yorkies too high a dose too often. I definitely wouldn’t stop giving it, it’s a great ingredient for many reasons, I’d just encourage you to give less and less often.

#65835 Report Abuse
    weezerweeks
    Participant

Thanks Dori, I’ll start giving him 1/8 teaspoon 3 times a week.

#65836 Report Abuse
    Dori

Your very welcome. Hopefully his next cholesterol test will be back to normal.

#66031 Report Abuse
    jakes mom

Don’t worry about a lab test being a few points high or low. The analyzers in labs are not calibrated to an exact number, it’s a range. If they’d run your pup’s test again it could have easily been within the normal range.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.