Purina Supports Grains For Dogs

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Purina Supports Grains For Dogs

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • Author
    Akari_32
    Participant

Of course they do! LOL

https://www.purina.com/dogs/understanding-dog-food/new-study-supports-grains-for-dogs

I’d also like to point out that dogs don’t have crushing molars like *horses* do. They have pointed molars for gripping and crunching bones and meat. There’s nothing flat about the top of a dogs teeth! To compare a dogs mouth to a horses mouth is completely ridiculous! Ooh Purina, you so speshel…

#38987 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Let’s not forget that their jaw is not designed for a grinding action either, it opens and closes, it doesn’t slide back and forth.

#38988 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I am laughing right now! Purina is saying “look! We haven’t done any proper research! But people are catching onto the fact that our dog food is junk…..let’s say that dog food should be comparable to horse food! Yayaaaaa!”

I will have to say, I’ve never seen or heard of cases where a wolf (or feral dog) got into a farmer’s property to steal the corn and wheat, or even dig up the potatoes! They usually go in to get the lambs and hens… (And leave the beaks, feet, or other by-products out!) *holds hands up* I know I don’t know as much about “good nutrition” as Purina, so definitely don’t listen to what I say…..Purina knows THE best nutrition for dogs, absolutely! *said in the most sarcastic tone imaginable*

Okay, sarcastic rant is over! XD

#38989 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

So other than the fact that their anatomy, digestive tract, and everything else is different from a horse….. Sure! Dogs are just like horses! Heck, they both have eyes and ears. Oh and tails…..annnnddddd legs! So yep, Purina is right – dogs are just like horses. We should start buying bags of COB grain for our dogs instead ๐Ÿ˜‰

#39369 Report Abuse

Except that they recently came out with a grain free pro plan. So much for grains being great. Grain free is the new trend, they’ll change their tune once they start losing money.

#39372 Report Abuse
    Akari_32
    Participant

I was thinking that too lol too bad their grain free might actually be worse than some of their regular foods. I’d rather feed One Beyond over the Pro Plan grain free.

#39377 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Geez….pro plan went GF? I’d guess this is their first GF food. I seriously have lost all respect for them! They trick so dang many people! Most people don’t think about researching out the ingredients, they’re going to trust the back of that bag to be telling truthful things. Ugh!

I mean, if they even had /one/ decent food line, then I might not hate them as much. But everything is about money, not “your pet. Our passion” smh!!!

And I’m especially upset because I have to feed it to a puppy that I take care of -_- Pro Plan Focus large breed puppy. They are a wealthy family who thinks they’re giving the best to their lil girl. I’d try to slowly move her to my food instead, but it’d be bad for her if anything. As soon as she’d get used to my food, she’d have to go back to her home and eat that junk :/ she’s only 13wks and already has that signature “Labrador” stink as well as a super dry flaky coat! Poor baby!

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Shasta220.
    #39383 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I just looked at the ingredients of what you feed the poor baby Mocha… PUKE (sorry, I can imagine how hard it may be for you to scoop it up and serve to her)… SIGH…

As for Purina’s “research”, they can stick it up their… throats. That is all. ๐Ÿ™‚

#39384 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

Hahaha your posts make me laugh Aleksandra! XD I do feel so disgustingly horrible to feed it to her, yes. They use PP Sport (higher in protein….from those wonderful chicken beaks and extra corn, of course) as training treats for her. So I figured using some of my 4 star kibble half the time would make me feel like she had at least SOME real food in her gut. Plus she loves it! It’s pretty obvious how much she hates her current food – she is a Labrador and she eats free choice. But she only goes through what she needs. No more, no less (I’ve never seen a lab do that).

It was almost relieving to see her fur get flaky and skin get super stinky. I emailed her owners, giving them my story on how Cassy used to be super gross on SD and Purina, but now does fabulously. Hopefully they will see the pup’s icky skin and want to switch…. *crosses fingers*

#39386 Report Abuse
    Naturella

LoL, glad I make you laugh! ๐Ÿ™‚

And yeah, I would feel horrible feeding her that too… REALLY hope they care and switch! Cause yuck… Glad she eats just enough though, and that she likes your food as well!

What do you feed at the moment? And do you feed all three (Cassy, Shasta, Loki) the same?

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Naturella.
    #39413 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I just do Diamond Naturals and Kirkland. I really can’t afford more than $1/lb currently. Yes, they all have the same. They also get eggs, oils (sardine, anchovy, and coconut), and occasional kitchen or garden scraps (meats and veggies).

#39414 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Gotcha. I will feed my dogs the same too one day unless the next one has any specific issues. I just looked at Farmina and really like their GF fish and lamb formulas – I am sad that the wild boar one has chicken as a supplement – you know, in case a dog is allergic to chicken, they can’t have the wild boar either. But anyway – that one is kind of expensive, so I will feed it one day when I can afford it, lol.

And great job on the supplements! Bruno gets just about the same too, and he loves his veggies too!

You could maybe check out Victor – locally, I find the 40-lb bags of grain-inclusive for $38.99 – so, about $1/lb when you apply tax and stuff. And it’s a decent food. Online it seems to be more than $1/lb though, which is odd, but oh well. I am lucky to live close to 2 pet boutiques, and Petland, Petco, and Petsmart, AND Costco are all within 15min of me… The pet boutiques have better deals on sales though, it seems. I may ask them to see if they can get me the Farmina for less… I will look for a coupon for it too! ๐Ÿ˜€

#39417 Report Abuse
    Naturella

Actually, online the Multi-Pro by Victor is $1.09/lb, so $53 for 50lbs. ๐Ÿ™‚ And Amazon may have some good deals on it too.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Naturella.
    #39431 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’ve been looking a bit for Victor. Seems like the nearest dealer is a state away though :/ I have a friend who is lucky enough to get 40lb for about 32$!!!! Such a steal lol! If I can ever get a more steady job (I have no clue how babysitting and pet sitting manages to keep my 50$/month for dog food going, but it does!), then I’d absolutely get into something better for them. Possibly NutriSource or Earthborne….something along those lines.

All I have nearby are a couple of feed stores and pet boutiques. There is a PetCo about an hour away, then Costco/PetSmart is closer to 1.5hrs. I hate PetCo though they are SO expensive! I was looking at canned cat food there….all of it was at least .60$ more expensive than at the local feed/boutiques, ugh! (.60$ more per 5oz can, that is. If it were per case or something then I wouldn’t be so upset)

#39434 Report Abuse
    Naturella

I see, wow, a state away! I wonder if any of the pet boutiques would agree to order you some? My fave one ordered me a bag of Back to Basics even though they don’t carry it, so I’m thinking of asking them to get me Farmina like next year (cause Bruno is set till then, lol). But they may agree, idk. And it seems to be cheaper to buy Victor from a store than online.
    Earthborn is pretty good too, Bruno is on that right now, and it is pretty affordable if I use my Petland coupon for $10 off $25 or more – the food ranges $23-$28 for the 14-lb bags, so with the coupon I end up paying $20-$23 for a 14-lb bag. I really lucked out on the free bags of Holistic Health Extension that Petland was giving away (with a coupon) during the holiday season – October-December. I got 5 altogether, and I use them as mixers to other foods – Bruno is basically set for this year. ๐Ÿ™‚

I also got a calendar from PetCo for $11, for this year (2014), and it was FULL of coupons on the back – for food, feeders, and what not – so I will be stocking up on food for next year in the end of this year because most coupons are good through Dec. 31st. But the calendar paid for itself like 10 or more times in the coupon value it offers. There were coupons for free cans of food too! And some for $5-off certain brands – some I would feed, some I gave to friends. So it worked out well! ๐Ÿ™‚

But yeah, if Shasta and Loki are fine with Kirkland and Diamond Naturals, then you can just keep them on those foods until you find something more affordable within reach that is also good for them. Do you pay for Cassy’s food as well?

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 15 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.