šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author
    joanne l

Hi everyone I just found out that Purina is negotiating a price for Acana and Ojien foods. Wow I can’t believe it. I guess these small companies just don’t have the money to keep going.
    That makes me wonder that if you find a small company that is family owned, how long will that go on before they sell it? And I think these big companies know this and eventually they buy them and they make a lot of money. It is nice to see small companies trying to make good food but it is a shame in the long run they can’t afford it.

#129280 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I read that the sale has already happened; who knows if itā€™s true.

#129281 Report Abuse
    TonyaT O

I am sickened by this.. Mars comp makes Pedigree, Alpo,
    Dog chow, friskies, 3 of the worst dog foods
    On the market. Mars recently bought PetSmart who incidentally acquired CHEWY.com and Ziwipeak, Fromm, and
    Orijon, to name a few stopped selling on Chewy at a loss of revenue trying to support independent retailers…Mars owns 900 vet clinics and employes 3200 veterinarians nationwide, they run petmd, and recently bought Banfield veterinary college, Nestle makes royal canin, iams and Purina, dog foods making up 6 of 10 worst. Nestle is second biggest owner of vet schools and contributor under Mars..and the third largest shareholders?..yep, Hills makers of science diet…they own the college’s, are in charge of scholarships, approve or disapprove accreditation, and are in charge of research relating to nutritional Studies..you have to look long and hard to find information on the internet that Purina, petmd, Mars, hills, and pedigree are not sponsors off..ask your vet WHY he recommends the brand if wheat or byproduct is the first ingredient, I worked for one for 3 years and never even questioned what they told me

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by TonyaT O. Reason: Failed to include acquisition of Chewy
    #129283 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I wonder if champion pet foods wants to sell to get out because of the FDA warning? Because I heard their brand is one of the ones on the list for suspicion with DCM. But anyhow it is a crying shame how these big companies take over and not to mention that all the money they have, they could certainly afford the best quality. However, they won’t buy the best. Furthermore, these poor small companies give the best quality and they don’t even have a small portion of money that these big ones have. What a SHAME! Seems like the more money they have the cheaper they get and the ones with the least try to get the best. Unbelievable. The only thing I can say is greed.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by joanne l.
    • This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by joanne l.
    #129288 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Purina deserves Champion.
    The class action lawsuit against Champion Pet Food (manufacturer of Orijen and Acana) has been amended in a concerning way. The lawsuit now includes ā€œrisk of inclusion in their pet food of pentobarbitalā€¦ā€

Filed in Colorado today (11/12/18) was an amended lawsuit (complaint) against Champion Pet Food. The initial lawsuit against Champion was based on ā€œnegligent, reckless, and/or intentional practice of misrepresenting and failing to fully disclose the presence of heavy metals and toxins in their pet food sold throughout the United States.ā€ Now the lawsuit states this:
    bring this Class Action Complaint against Defendants Champion Petfoods USA, Inc. and Champion Petfoods LP (ā€œDefendantsā€), for their negligent, reckless, and/or intentional practice of misrepresenting, failing to test for, and failing to fully disclose the presence and/or risk of inclusion in their pet food of heavy metals, pentobarbital, toxins and/or unnatural or other ingredients that do not conform to the labels, packaging, advertising and statements sold throughout the United States.ā€

The clue to this concerning change in the Champion Pet Food lawsuit was this statement:

ā€œIt was recently revealed on information and belief that Defendants were knowingly, recklessly and/or negligently selling certain of the Contaminated Dog Foods from the DogStar Kitchens containing pentobarbital, a substance largely used to euthanize animals.ā€

• This reply was modified 5 years, 3 months ago by Patricia A.
    #129290 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Wow this is getting worse. Poor customers paying top dollar to get this crap! That is awful!! And you think by paying such a high price for dog food that you would get good stuff, apparently not. Oh well they were going down the drain anyway.

#129744 Report Abuse

Are these dog foods are really the worst dog food ? What do you think guys? Please let me know.

#129747 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Sandra,
    I see a list of ingredients not dog foods but since the writer doesnā€™t seem to be very literate, itā€™s hard for *me* to take them seriously.

#129758 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I read it. It is about certain ingredients a dog should not have. This doesn’t have anything to do with dog food itself. It is for us to know, so we know not to give these ingredients to a dog.

#130585 Report Abuse
    Christie B

Didn’t Nestle buy out Merrick a few years ago as well?

#130618 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Yes they did.

#130651 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hey Joanne,

Have you looked at “Nature Logic” it’s been mentioned a few times in the Dog IBD group, all very good comments….
    Nature Logic uses only 100% natural ingredients, and NO synthetic vitamins and minerals..
    Send them an email ask do they have samples of the Beef, Lamb & Venison formula’s, see if Vonn likes the kibble. šŸ™‚

Dog Products

#130653 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I hadnā€™t used Natureā€™s Logic for quite a few years. Bought some for Oā€™Malley, the only picky dog Iā€™ve ever had and he loved it! Finally, two foods he actually likes in his rotation.

#130722 Report Abuse
    joanne l

I was looking at that food Susan, it does look very good for another choice.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.