šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Author
    Dawn R

Is there anything I should be giving an 8 week old bulldog as a puppy supplement? I’m planning on feeding raw as soon as I get her.

Thanks for any feedback….

Dawn

#45573 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Dawn R-
    Congratulations on your new pup! I don’t feed raw except for a handful of the commercial frozen nuggets a few times a week with their kibble. I just wanted to “bump up” your post so that others with more knowledge can chime in. Although, I would continue whatever the breeder is feeding for at least a few weeks until she gets settled in. Good luck!

#45580 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Dawn –

If you’re feeding a balanced raw diet, it’s not necessary to add any supplements. However, there are many supplements that may be beneficial. Probiotics are a great way to support gut health – you can purchase probiotic supplements or mix in some kefir or plain yogurt with his meals. Omega 3’s are a wonderful way to support a a healthy skin and coat, provide ant-inflammatory benefits and support the immune system – you can purchase a high quality fish oil or feed tinned sardines and/or cage-free eggs a couple times per week. There are various nutraceuticals that have various health promoting properties you may want to consider – I personally like to make a “blend” of items such as bee pollen, spirulina, kelp, chlorella, turmeric, etc. Swanson Vitamins is a great site to shop for supplements, I do the majority of my supplement shopping for both my dogs and myself there. They’ve got a lot of great stuff and the best prices I’ve found.

#45595 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Congrats on the upcoming puppy!

#45604 Report Abuse
    Dawn R

Thanks all!

She is an English bulldog… And will be joining my existing crew of 2 pugs that are 5 and 6 years old. It’s been a while since I’ve had a puppy so want to make sure I start out on the right foot. My pugs have been on raw for years and stay healthy and lean on it. Back when I was a newbie dog owner I used to feed beneful so I’ve come a long way in dog nutrition.

I’ve picked out a few foods…..stella and Chewys raw, some ziwipeak dehydrated, and acana and Origen dry food. The breeder has her on Royal Canine mini starter and not sure if I should transition right away to new food. Any suggestions?

Should I be feeding 2 or 3 times a day….. ?

I saw a few products online geared to puppies, has anyone used Whollistic Pet colostrum, missing link for puppies, or Puppy Gold. They all seem like transition type products.

Getting excited….. I get her in 12 days!

#45606 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi Dawn –

I’d recommend feeding three times per day until the pup is four to six months old, you can then switch to twice a day. You can continue with twice a day feeding or switch to once a day when the puppy is full grown.

• This reply was modified 9 years, 10 months ago by Hound Dog Mom.
    #45613 Report Abuse
    Dawn R

Thanks HDM!

#47876 Report Abuse
    Cotons mom

My question is, can I give my cotons, 9 months old, the probiotics that I take myself. I was giving them the Ask Ariel brand once a day but have just run out and to be honest they were very expensive, especially giving to 2 dogs.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.