Puppy kong or Regular Kong?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Off Topic Forum Puppy kong or Regular Kong?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kelly P

Hello,

In a few weeks I’ll be picking up my puppy, a Malamute/Husky/Wolf. I’m not sure if I should just start off with a puppy Kong or go with a Regular Kong right off the bat. Is there really a benefit to getting a Puppy Kong? I hear that the Puppy Kong is more geared towards puppies during their teething stage. I’ve also heard that a regular Kong can be bad for my pup’s teeth. If I get the Puppy Kong would it even be able to stand up to an adult?

#82172 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

Hi Kelly- The Puppy Kong is much softer than the regular Kong and is designed for a younger dog who does not have jaw strength of an adult dog. That being said, some dogs are much more aggresive chewers than others. Even when my pitbull was very young the Puppy Kong could probably have not stood up to him. He’s always been an aggressive chewer. I’d buy the Puppy Kong first, see how your pup does with that and go from there.

What age will your guy/girl be when you get him/her?

#82181 Report Abuse
    aimee
    Participant

I never felt safe with leaving my dogs as pups with a “puppy” kong.. I always got the adult kong in the size they used as adults

#82204 Report Abuse
    Kelly P

My Puppy will be just under 8 weeks when I go to pick her up. I guess what I’m really afraid of is what if as she grows up I end up leaving her with her puppy kong and she destroys it. Or are there signs before she destroys it that will be easy to catch such as large puncture holes in the kong? I’ve had dogs growing up but never a kong.

#82208 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

When giving any type of chew toy be it a Puppy Kong or a regular adult sized Kong or anything else, you always want to monitor your puppy while they are chewing it. This allows you to catch it early if she does start ripping little pieces off and swallowing them. I also would not recommend leaving any type of toy in her kennel if you plan to crate train. You will learn fast what your puppy can and can not destroy and then you go from there.

#82232 Report Abuse
    Juanita B

When I got my puppy two years ago I got him a large kong that you put food in. It has a hole in it and they use their nose and feet to get it out. I would put treats and even is kibble in it. He had a ball. I have it to this day and he still has fun. He gets his picky times when he isn’t hungry or he wants more so I put the kibble in the Kong and he eats thinking it is a treat. I wish I could put a video on this site.

#83532 Report Abuse
    Taunia A

I used to work in pet retail and never recommended the puppy version of the kong, as it is way too soft! Get the adult one!

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.