Puppy food v Adult food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition Puppy food v Adult food

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

Deborah L

I have the fussiest 2.5 y/o Traditional yorkie and a new 5 month old Beiwer terrier, my older terrier eats the puppy food not his own, the puppy eats everything. I’ve tried mixing them to trick the older one but he will go hungry, won’t even pick out the puppy kibble, i’ve Added fat free cheese (he will fish that out) I know he shouldn’t be eating puppy food. Any advice?

#127765 Report Abuse

anon101

Don’t free feed (leave food down all day). Monitor meals. Feed on opposite sides of the room in separate dishes.

In fact separate the pups with a gate, different rooms at mealtime if you have to.

Most adult dogs do best with 2 meals per day and an occasional snack. At 5 months old the pup should be able to go to 2 meals per day soon if not now.

You are in charge. Do not allow the dog to eat the puppy’s food!

If the dog or puppy refuses to eat, pick up the food after 10 minutes, store covered in the fridg and offer at the next mealtime. Eventually they will eat, as long as they are drinking water it’s okay to skip a meal or two unless there is a medical condition that contradicts this.

Just my opinion, consult your vet if you continue to have concerns.

#127825 Report Abuse

InkedMarie

I agree with anon but will add to feed each in their own crate.

#128095 Report Abuse

Susan

Hi Deborah,

What are you feeding your fussiest 2.5 y/o Traditional yorkie & what are you feding your
    new 5 month old Beiwer terrier..

Have you looked at changing both their foods so they can eat the same food??
    Look at “all life stages” dehydrated Raw food…

“CaniSource Grand Cru All Life Stages Dehydrated Raw” Dry Dog Food.

“Buckley Liberty Freeze-Dried Dry Dog Food”

“BIXBI” Rawbble Dry Dog Food

“Canidae” Grain Free PURE Ancestral Raw Coated Dry Dog Food

“Ziwi Peak” air Dried Raw

“Canidae” Grain Free PURE Petite® Small Breed Raw Coated Dry Formula with Real Salmon for Adults
    and
    “Canidae” Grain Free PURE Petite® Small Breed Raw Coated Dry Formula with Real Salmon for Puppies has 1% more fat, both formula’s have identical Ingredients & Guaranteed Analysis….

https://www.canidae.com/dog-food/products/canidae-grain-free-pure-petite-raw-coated-dry-formula-with-real-salmon
    The puppy formula’s is higher in fat so probably more appealing..

Look for new foods they both can eat & rotate their foods so they dont eat the same food 24/7 & get bored…..
    Fresh is best..

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.