šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Patricia A
    Participant

I was looking at the k kals in freeze dried Stella and Chewy’s. I want to rotate to the lowest come the winter months when my easy to get chubby Chihuahua gets less exercise.
    Primal Turkey/Sardine is the lowest actually coming in at 38.5 when I broke it down per nugget. which I do rotate with.However, Tia really loves Stella’s, so I will occasionally give the chicken at 50 kals per patty. However, when i just glanced at their puppy freeze dried the calories per patty was only 32 kkals.
    Firstly, I always thought that puppies need HIGHER calories since they are growing? Can’t imagine how many patties you’d have to feed to a larger breed puppy. Why would the puppy formula be lower in calories per patty then the adult?
    Anyway just would like to know is their ANY reasons why a nine year old dog cannot be fed puppy food if the calories are this low?? I asked this question in Stella’s P/M but they haven’t gotten back to me as of yet . Just thought I’d throw out the question on the board .
    The freeze dried is used as a topper to kibble.

• This topic was modified 4 years, 7 months ago by Patricia A.
    #147140 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Check the AAFCO statement on the package. The majority of Stella and Chewy’s is for “all life stages”.

#147193 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Stella’s wrote back and stated that the only reason the puppy freeze dried was lower in kkals was because of them being smaller. So yes pugmomasan even the puppy formula is all life stages. Will give it a try with Miss Tia.

#147577 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

My 12-13 year old pug still eats foods for all life stages or growth (puppy). Eats all sorts of foods actually- kibble, wet, raw, freeze dried. I just watch his body condition score. I don’t weight him. Using K9 Natural as a mixer right now and he loves it.

#147624 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

I go by body condition score also pugjomsan. She’s a little puffy on her sides when I look from above. I also can FEEL even a little bit of weight difference when I pick her up . My little Hannah was put to rest last month at 17. As I was trying to get her to eat in her last month it was very hard to not give the other two a little of what she was having. it was also an all day and into the night thing where I wouldn’t be able to sleep unless Hannah ate a little.
    So now I’m thinking the weight gain was also from last month of the extra little bits of food all day. I have now cut back on the very little kibble she gets as well as breaking a little more each day off of the patties and nuggets of the freeze dried. Just cutting down all around of her portions along with her cooked food.
    My five year old Loli was eating same diet and stays slim. Also told my hubby to only give string beans for treats. When he has a piece of cheese I KNOW he sneaks them some. lol But as I said she is getting LONG walks now and come the winter she will not get as much exercise I’m sure. So need to start now to trim her down.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.