šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    dendad
    Participant

We have a new Chihuahua puppy. She is two months old today. She weighs 2 lbs., 6 oz. She just developed diarrhea. We will be taking her to the Vet as soon as we can get an appointment. But, for now I’d like a little advice. The person who sold her to us was feeding her Pedigree puppy food. I’m not finding much info on this food at this site, which concerns me, but I really don’t want to change her food for fear of more problems. I am thinking that I may be feeding her too much. I would like to weigh the food, but don’t know how much is the right quantity. If anyone has any suggestions, I’d appreciate it. Thanks.

#23720 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

Hi dendad –

Pedigree is a extremely poor quality food – one of the worst out there. If you head over to the review section and search for Pedigree you’ll see that all their foods have been reviewed – the dry foods are rated 1 star and the wet foods are rated 1.5 stars (out of 5). Switching foods is very healthy and dogs should get accustomed to switching foods as early as possible – it helps to strengthen the gut by supporting a healthy and diverse population of microflora in the digestive tract. I would recommend switching her off Pedigree as soon as possible (do a gradual switch over the course of a week by starting with predominantly Pedigree and only a small amount of the new food until you are transitioned entirely to the new food). I’d also recommend adding a tsp. of plain canned pumpkin to her meals (the fiber will may help firm things up) and starting her on a high quality, multi-strain probiotic supplement to get get gut stabilized. Are you on a specific budget or are there certain stores you shop at? I could give you some suggestions for foods to check out base on cost and where you’re shopping. If you don’t have a preference, any of the foods on Dr. Mike’s lists of best puppy foods over on the review site would be worth a try. Good luck!

#23734 Report Abuse
    dendad
    Participant

Thank you so much Hound Dog Mom!

#23755 Report Abuse
    dendad
    Participant

I think I’m going to try Merrick puppy food. Still, if anyone out there can recommend portion size for a puppy 2 lbs., 6 oz., I’d appreciate it. The recommendations on the can are something like 3/4 of a can per day for a 3 lb. puppy. That’s way too much, in my opinion.

#23756 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

I always portion food according to what the adult weight should be. But generally feeding guides suggest more than my dogs should eat, so remember that any feeding guideline is just exactly that, a guideline.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.