šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    emmygirl01
    Participant

Hi, last post for this topic was 2016, so I was wondering if anyone has had a dog diagnosed with this recently.
    My pup, Murphy recently got this diagnosis after 5 months of diarrhea. I have posted prior to this concerning his diarrhea, and thanks to all of you who gave your input.
    I am working with my vet and following her advice.
    He is currently on budesonide, B-12 shots weekly. I feel like this has been successful, but now with new blood work, the vet wants me to put him back on prednisone and add plavix, as she reports that dogs with this diagnosis can get blood clots—
    She wants me to do balanceit–which is a wonderful company, wonderful product, but you have to cook massive amounts of protein and add it to their vitamins. It’s a big commitment, and not that I am not up to the challenge, but realistically, I would like a back up plan for a food that he could tolerate and would be low in fat, fiber, etc. If you have had success with such a brand, please share. He can not eat beef, salmon, rice, peas, lentils, garbanzos–he hates pork. I think my vet is working on a recipe with balanceit which would be turkey and a carb of some kind and then the balanceit vitamins. Due to his food problems, there are limited canned or dry foods that he can tolerate–so maybe balanceit is the best choice?? And I will just have to figure out a way to cook copious amounts of meat!
    Thanks in advance.

#117568 Report Abuse
    pitlove
    Participant

Hi emmygirl-

If your dog is truly allergic to all the proteins that you’ve listed you will be hard pressed to find a food he can eat aside from a theraputic diet from the vet that has been hydrolyzed. If that was not offered to you as an option then it is likely that a hydrolyzed diet would impact his PLE negatively.

It sounds like at this point home preparing his meals using BalanceIt is going to be your best option. Especially if you are working with the BalanceIt team and your vet to create a diet that is specific to his illness.

My suggestion would be to get a crock pot and cook in bulk for him and freeze the meals. If you are a member of Costco or Sams you could buy meat veggies etc in bulk and it might be more cost effective that way. Most people that feed raw or home cooked meals set aside a day during the week or on the weekend as a “meal prep day”. It can be time consuming, but it allows you to prepare (most people do a months worth) food in advance for him and freeze it, so all you have to do is thaw it out twice a day. That would be my suggestion to you.

#117882 Report Abuse
    emmygirl01
    Participant

Thank you–I think working with the balanceIT team will be one of my best resources.
    The recipes don’t make sense to me– For one day: he is to eat: 3 cups spaghetti and 2 oz chicken (plus oil and balanceIT) THAT’s IT!! Certainly contradictory to what I think is right–but then again, I am not a doctor and he does have a debilitating condition that makes his situation different.
    I was instructed that he is to have a very low fat diet, low or no fiber.
    He is on steroids, which makes him crazy and they want me to put him on Plavix–to prevent blood clots–which is a side effect of this condition. It’s a lot to take in –if anyone has had a similar experience, I would appreciate additional thoughts and advise. I am worried sick about my little guy!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.