Protein, fat, and carb %?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Raw Dog Food Protein, fat, and carb %?

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Carrie H

Ok. I am pretty new to the raw food thing. Everthing I read says protein should be the highest percentage, then fat, then carbs being the lowest. So if I look at all the 5 star raw foods listed on this site, only 4 of them meet that criteria! And of those 4, one has garlic in it. Am i missing something? Help!

#111955 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

You aren’t missing anything. The fact is kibbles tend to be more carb than anything else. Because it’s incredibly hard to make a kibble without loading it with stuff that holds it together (ie fillers which are usually carbs) so it’s not just a bag of crumbs. As far as raw goes you can usually cut carbs completely out. Most raw feeders follow the 80% meat, 10% organs (5% liver, 5% secreting organs) and 10% raw meaty bones. There are no carbs in that type of diet. But some people also add whole types of veggies or fruits but it shouldn’t make up that much of the diet.

#111957 Report Abuse
    Carrie H

I’m not talking about kibble/dry food. I’m talking about raw dog foods only. Most have more fat than protein, unless I’m misunderstanding the charts of percentages.

#111958 Report Abuse
    haleycookie

Ah I see. Yes that’s another thing. Most raw food companies use very cheap fatty cuts of meat. If you can find a commercial raw with higher protein than fat then that’s a good formula to use. Similar with canned foods. If you check those out there will more times than not be high fat content in pate like foods. While shreds and whatnot will be higher protein because it’s harder to hide fatty meats in shredded canned food. But when you buy patties and bites from raw food companies it’s the same texture as a pate canned food and because of the way everything is mashed together it’s easier to hide fat. There for it’s just a way for companies to cheap out.

#112010 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

I feed ground raw, no added anything to it. I buy from Hare Today; other places are Raw feeding Miami, Reel Raw & My Pet Carnivore.

#114628 Report Abuse
    Sloane K

Carrie –

Generally the higher price you pay for the food, the more likely it will contain more protein than fats. There are many brands now flooding the market and it’s been confusing figuring out which one is the best. If you find any other insight, please share.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.