šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Tina

Ginger is my 5 year old Pembroke Welsh Corgi and at the moment she is on a Prescription Diet from the Vet. At the age of 2 Ginger was on Wellness Whitefish & Sweet Potato Dry Food Recipe along with Wellness Complete Health Whitefish & Sweet Potato Recipe Canned Food. First I changed the canned food, let her get used to it and eventually I bought a bag of dry food. On the first day of the gradually change over she seemed alright but something seemed different. She was the last dog to finish her dinner that night (she usually is the first) and she didn’t eat all of her dinner. Later on that night she began to vomit all over the place and her stool had some blood in it. I cleaned her up and gave her some Wellness Canned food to eat. About an half an hour later she began to vomit and her stool had even more blood in it. Throughout the entire night the blood got even worst and she became very weak and dehydrated (I stayed up all night with her). Early the next morning I called out of work and took her to the vet, $400.00 later she was sent home with Prescription Diet Canned food and lots of medicine. My vet said that it was caused by the food Wellness and to check to dry food when I got home. After looking in the bag of food I found little bits of fish bone throughout the food. Has anyone else had a problem with Wellness?

#40905 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

So far, I haven’t had any problems feeding Wellness. I have used their cans daily for years, however, the only fish flavors I’ve used are Simple Salmon and Pot. and 95% Salmon. No problems with them. I used to use Wellness Core Reduced Fat for my male Shih-Poo (since gone to the bridge) and never had any issues. I just transitioned my crew to Wellness Small Breed Senior kibble to go with their canned Wellness (I use the stews, Simple line, 95% line, and the senior cans) because I needed a lower sodium food and this fits the bill. So far, everyone is doing fine.

#40924 Report Abuse
    meky6ra

Hi, sorry to hear about Ginger! I hope that she feels better soon! I’ve been feeding my dog Wellness dry dogfood for a couple of months and she seems fine. The only problem we had was with the Core Reduced Fat formula. It gave her terrible gas, but apparently it’s because Dixie’s intolerant to chicken. She eats the Simple Salmon and Pea recipe now and she’s fine. What was your dog diagnosed with?

#40926 Report Abuse
    Tina

Colitis and a severe allergie to fish. As for the bones, my vet said that fish bones are very dangerous and could have caused her intestines to tear.

#40943 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Poor girl, sounds like Colitis, my poor boy was having colitis last year, I have him on a low fat diet now, I prefer Holistic select to wellness, they are made by the same company Wellpet but the Holistic select protein is Hydrolized making it easier to digest, I found the wellness kibbles too hard & my boy couldnt digest them…I have my boy on the Senior health chicken meal & rice, its only 10% fat, I mix this with my boys vet prescription diet & use the Holistic select as treats as well..my boy is only 5 years old but I dont think it matters that its a senior diet, Ive check out everything & the only difference is the glucosamine is higher so is the protein but the fat is the lowest something that is needed for Colitis & Pancreatitis.. Hope she gets well soon..

#40960 Report Abuse
    Mom2Cavs

sue66b, just a question….I love Holistic Select, too. How did you find out that the protein is hydrolyzed? I’ve never heard or read this before. Thanks.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.