šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Kirk R

I am looking to find a good probiotic and digestive enzymes supplement for dogs. I have a 7 year old English Bulldog who is absolutely my best friend. I believe he has food allergies that are causing chronic ear infections so I have been switching his food to hopefully solve the food allergy mystery. I have been fed him Taste of the wild, Zignature, Fromm Gold Coast – all limited ingredient and no wheat or chicken and I now have him on Royal Canin Veterinary Diet Hydrolyzed Protein Moderate Calorie Dry Dog Food $100/24lbs – bit expensive . Switching foods sometimes cause diarrhea so I have been mixing pumpkin in his food as a probiotic/prebiotic (I forget which it is) in hopes of building up his immune system in his digestive track. That is what has led me to search for Probiotics and digestive enzymes. Any suggestions to help my buddy out sure would be appreciated. Thank you

#85080 Report Abuse
    Laura M

I use a product from Nature’s Farmacy called Probiotic Max. Have used it for years with all my dogs. I feel we all need probiotics and this product keeps my dogs in good shape. Very rarely have any stool problems or digestion issues. I also show my dogs and the Nature’s Farmacy products are very popular with the dog show people. Good luck with your Bulldog.

#85096 Report Abuse
    Michael C

I use pumpkin with my dogs too, but was not aware it is a pro or prebiotic, but yogurt is and I use a dollop of plain, no fat yogurt with my dogs meals too. I did get a probiotic from our vet for one of our dogs, it’s called Probios Daily Digestive Dog Tabs. My vet also talked to me once about food allergies and how tough they can be to find. She said the protein in the food is the thing you need to change, and you need to change to a protein the dog has never had before, she mentioned Kangaroo was a good one to try (unless you live down under, maybe). Zignature makes a kangaroo food. She also said you have to feed the new food to the dog for eight weeks in order to tell if it is going to do any good as it takes a while to completely get rid of any trace of the prior protein your dog ate, so if you didn’t stick with any new food you tried for at least eight weeks, you may not have stuck with it long enough.

#85106 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

What kind of ear infections? My oldest dog had recurrent yeast ear infections & paw licking; my holistic vet suggested a raw diet without produce as some canfeed yeast.

#85128 Report Abuse
    Michael C
    #85271 Report Abuse
    Kirk R

Thankyou Inked Marie and Michael C for your good suggestions. Barney has yeast ear infections. I have been feeding Barney a mix of zucchini, carrots, green beans, steel cut oats, and hamburger, all cooked along with a small mix of his Royal Canin Perscription food of Hydrolized protein. I am watching him closely. so far so good and no more diarrhea. I found a list of foods that can help in treating yeast infections so I will try some of those foods.

http://www.mindbodygreen.com/0-11005/10-foods-to-fight-candida.html

Thanks Michael C for the probiotic article. good. I will start using them.

#85272 Report Abuse
    Kirk R

and thank you Laura M

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.