🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    Edith H

I really would like to share some experiences and get some help if possible!!!
    I have an amstaffy 4 years old. He has a very sensitive tummy that was treated with diarrhea for a month after we got him ( Back in early Aug this year). Ever since, his stool had been stable with Acana Grassland. Few weeks ago, we took him for a general check up in vet and got recommended with Purina FortisFlora as well. It did made his stool seems drier and harder for the three days that I had been feeding him with Purina, but soon stopped since I was really concerned with not knowing what animal digestive is?! However, it got me all interested in adding probiotic into his diet. Then I was trying out raw goat milk from Primal. Giving little spoon to a 50 lbs dog for straight three days, he ended up with really bad diarrhea in the past two days. Therefore, adding goat milk to aid as probiotic doesn’t seem like an option to me.

Though his stool is normally fine with just Acana, I was hoping to improve his whole digestive systems overall and started research about probiotic and prebiotic…etc. I have problem getting a good result as many probiotic recommended online are sold in USA only.

Are probiotic a waste of money? is prebiotic a really better and safer option even it might feed both good and bad bacterias? any good suggestions in Canada available?

or am I just simply too greedy?! should just stay the same…leave it simple with just Acana kibbles….>,<

#54016 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

To me, especially if you have reasons to only feed one kibble, I would definitely add probiotics at least twice a week. Feeding a single food supports certain probiotic and others die back. Diversity in the diet supports diverse probiotics. I don’t think that wanting your dog to be in the best health possible is greedy at all. You may just have to try the different ones that are available to you and see what he does well on. Health food stores are usually a good place to find good probiotics. Probiotics for dogs are best, but they also cost an arm and a leg, and probiotics for people are good enough, so just look for a good multistrain human probiotic.

#54049 Report Abuse
    Edith H

Thanks theBCnut!
    so, perhaps adding probiotic will be a better decision than using prebiotic instead then? Would there be any harm for the over-does on probiotics? I am worried that human ones are more concentrated than for the dogs?

#54058 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

From my understanding, there is no harm, but you can just give them a couple time a week. Some probiotics come with a prebiotic in with them. If you need to stick with one food, I would add the prebiotics too, just in case the food is not supporting them well enough. Fiber supplements that contain inulin are a good cheap prebiotic and a little goes a long way.

#55298 Report Abuse
    Hildie V

I have been using Dr. Peter Dobias probiotics for just under a week. Don’t know if they are doing anything yet but apparently this is the best one. Google GutSense by Dr. Peter Dobias and have a read 🙂

#55334 Report Abuse
    Edith H

Thanks Hildie!
    I will check that out for sure! I am currently adding Carna4 powder in their diet, but I only sprinkle a little bit cz dont want to add too much extra calories to them. So far I havn’t notice any difference but no diarrhoea is caused which is good! ^^*

Hope Dr. Peter Dobias is also available in Canada!

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.