Primal freeze dried raw food

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Primal freeze dried raw food

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Rena C

Can dog food advisor investigate and update us on recent quality of Primal freeze dried dog food? Cos recently there were bags (duck recipe and turkey sardine recipe) that I and many other friends purchased smelly really bad (bad oil smell) and like rotten. I’ve been feeding primal duck to my dog for several years and it used to smell very nice, I can tell the difference now once I opened the bag. Is the factory having changed the oil or some ingriedients thar affect and lower he quality now? Is it still justified to rate 5-Star? Is it still no health issue to dogs? Many thanks!

#120496 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

If you go to Primal dog food Facebook page you can ask them if recipe has changed there. They usually reply very quickly. I rotate with freeze dried Stella’s and Primal. Haven’t purchased in over a month because I was waiting till my pet supply store got samples of Pronto to try out in the turkey/sardine. Now I’m glad I didn’t get the duck or turkey/sardine in the freeze dried. I’ll write and ask also.

• This reply was modified 5 years, 6 months ago by Patricia A.
    #120498 Report Abuse
    Rena C

Thank you Patricia! 🙂

#120499 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

A rotten oil smell means rancid, they wouldn’t sell that on purpose. Anything that smells off, even a little, do not feed to pets. Report the product and its best by/lot # to the recall website. And contact Primal’s customer service number on the back of the bag. Tell them your friends’ lot numbers as well. This is how recalls start so they can take the others off the shelves.

#120500 Report Abuse
    Rena C

Thanks! I just sent private message to their Facebook and will wait for their reply. A bit worried about my dog as I’ve fed most of the bag to her😩😭 I’ll shift to Stella’s if not hearing assurance from them.

#120502 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Rena I copied and pasted our concerns on Primal’s F/B page. I just deleted part addressing it to the advisor and lowering the 5* rating. I’ll copy and paste their reply .

#121355 Report Abuse
    Claire B

Did you ever get a response on this? I feed these two flavors most often and have not noticed anything with our bags being different.

#121373 Report Abuse
    Patricia A
    Participant

Primal didn’t even put my question on their F/B page. I don’t like that. guess they want only positive posts. I just purchased the turkey/Sardine at my pet supply store but seems fresh and no oily smell. Breaks up very dry like it always did with this protein. I always leaned more towards Primal then Stella’s. I use their rabbit but it’s kind of spongy to break up. I worry that Stella’s is too gimmicky. Also got the boxed response regarding their kibble and FDA report . Advisor gave it 5 stars stating “abundance of meat But their 2nd ingredient is peas then chickpeas. I still don’t understand how advisor knows how much protein is coming from legumes and how much from meat. Going to call Stella’s but don’t think I’ll get a breakdown.
    I don’t want to keep switching them so I’ll have to trust Primal and Stella’s. I also give a little Bixbi Rawbble. Very expensive but they like it dry as a treat. I’m just going to rotate the three to be safe.

#121380 Report Abuse
    Rena C

I sent private message to their FB and they responded that they will document it for their production team to look into. They said that no change on quality nor ingredients.
    I’ve switched to Stella’s rabbit in the interim. Will try again new batch of Primal after to see… The retail shop I used to go is still selling the same lot# batch and I better wait…

#121382 Report Abuse
    Claire B

Thank you for the response. We switch exclusively between the turkey/sardine and duck and I have not noticed any changes on the ones we get purchasing at two different stores. We are having to stay away from anything with rabbit, venison or kangaroo in it as we may have to do a food trial with our boy and he has never had those. He can’t have pork, beef or chicken at the moment. Even eating 20 percent combined with zignature we go through about 3-4 large bags of Primal a month and my husband can’t stomach the raw patties. The Primal has been a life saver for us as he has a high scoring storage mite allergy confirmed by testing and we are having to freeze his kibble as soon as we open bag. He quit eating it entirely until we added it. We will looking into other options entirely once we determine if he also has a food allergy involved.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.