šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Author
    Leah12345

I read threads before posting, but couldn’t find an exact match. Our adopted dog-ter is a 10 month-old (guessing) mix. She is sensitive (VERY itchy) to grain and poultry so we switched her to Fromm Four-Star Nutrition about two months ago and just avoid the ones that have poultry ingredients. The switch stopped the itch, but she poops at least three times a day and it is big for little girl. It is perfectly formed and she has an iron stomach. Any brand ideas that are filler-free, poultry-free that might minimize the frequency or size? I prefer a highly rated food and because she is small I don’t mine a more expensive food if that is my only option.

#33673 Report Abuse
    slvet2

Her GI tract is moving food through at too fast of a rate. To slow things down and firm up her stool look for food with rice or brown rice. The rice contains fiber that will firm up the stool and it also absorbs bacterial toxins that are present, thus reducing the irritability of the intestine, and slowing it down to a more normal clip. It is hard to find food without poultry, but Hills science diet has some. Or consider making your own homemade dog food with fresh ingredients. Try the recipes w vet author http://www.strategicbookpublishing.com/howtocookforyourpet.html

#33711 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks so much. This is our first dog in 15 years and we are so crazy about her, but don’t know what we are doing! I am going to talk to someone the Go Pet Go chain and if I can’t find a food, the recipes look possible. Thanks again!

#33718 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Leah-
    Congrats on the new pup. How fun, but very stressful. They are almost like having a new born baby! Have you checked out the 4 and 5 star limited ingredient foods on the review side of this site? I’ve heard many experts on this site say that Natures Variety Instinct is a great choice. I have not used it as it is not in my budget, but many have had excellent results with the smaller less frequent poops with this food.
    However, if you are willing to cook for your pet, it is probably even better. I’m hoping to “bump up” your post, so others may chime in. Good luck!

#33719 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks so much crazy4cats! I think what I would fit my lifestyle best at this point would be store bought food. I am now looking for a poultry-free food with rice. I know she can tolerate rice because I have cooked for her when she had surgery with rice and no itching. I am following your suggestion and looking on the 4 and 5 star food list for ideas. Fingers crossed! And thanks again for bumping me up!

#33721 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I honestly wouldn’t agree about adding rice in. It is considered a “filler” food and provides little-to-no nutritional value to a dog. That’s something that’ll go right through her stomach and contribute to more frequent/bigger stools, really. I’d definitely say I agree with crazy4cats. This site can help out a lot with finding a limited ingredient super-quality food for her.
    Possibly to reduce fillers even further and get a protein boost you could add in your own raw meats to her food?

#33723 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thank you Shasta220! I wasn’t kidding when I said I didn’t know what I was doing. What you said makes sense. I will keep fillers to a minimum. A neighbor recommended Earthborn grain-free so I will do some reading on this site about that. I like the quality of Fromm’s but she is a 12lb dog who poops at least 3 times a day and even thought the consistency is right, it is a lot of stool. Adding raw meats is a good idea. I welcome any and all suggestions!

#33725 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Leah-
    Sounds like you are on the right track! Read through Dr. Mike’s library of informative articles on the review side of this website. Empower yourself by learning as much as possible. Then, most importantly read the ingredient labels and analysis of what you are going to feed. I just looked at the pretty packaging and listened to those crazy commercials before I ran into some issues with my pets before I got smarter. You are already past that! I am currently feeding Victor grain free with great results. I think most of their food has poultry except for the fish based kibble. I’m not sure how you feel about fish. I’m going to try it next. I also add toppers, such as, canned, sardines, raw nuggets and eggs to their kibble. Have fun with your new pup!

#33726 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

Hi Leah-
    Just to add to my last post. If I had a bigger pet food budget, I’d definitely be checking out the Nature’s Variety Instinct kibble and possibly trying to feed more fresh and/or raw foods. Have a great day!

#33727 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks crazy4cats! I will keep those brands in mind as I do my research. I am reading through other threads and finding some good information too. Thanks again! Leah

#33748 Report Abuse

You could try the Merrick Grain-Free line. Several of them are poultry-free. They are not too expensive. Merrick has also recently released a grain-free, poultry-free food under its more-affordable Whole Earth Farms line. I would recommend canned pumpkin or sweet potato to aid in the digestion, as well as pre- and pro-biotic (i.e. Healthy Essentials).

#33758 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks TheNaturalDog! I will research Merrick. Also, can you explain the canned food like pumpkin to aid digestion? I keep reading about supplementing with canned pumpkin or sweet potatoes when I am scanning threads, but don’t have any information. What is the purpose of doing it? Do I add it to her food when I feed her or is it separate? Is there a ratio or rule of thumb for how much to give her? I am guessing the pre-and pro-biotics will have directions so I am not so worried about that. Thanks for the guidance. Being a dog-mama is trickier than I remembered. Leah

#33764 Report Abuse

To be completely honest, I do not know exactly why pumpkin/sweet potatoes aid in digestion, just that they do. They will both stop loose stools and fix constipation. They don’t make much sense, but they are pretty awesome. Just add one or two tablespoons on top of your dog’s kibble.

#33769 Report Abuse
    Dori

Make sure if your going to use pumpkin that it’s pure pumpkin NOT pie filling canned pumpkin. You have no idea how many folks have made that mistake. The pie filling has additives including sugar which you definitely do not want

#33775 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks to TheNaturalDog and dchassett! I am running to the store this morning and I will pick it up. I probably would have made the same mistakes as new dog parents so I will check for ingredients to find the right cans. Thanks again and I am feeling more hopeful about finding a solution.

#33778 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Pumpkin and sweet potato are sources of fiber that dogs usually handle well. Fiber helps regulate the speed that food travels through the intestines and helps retain fluid in the stool. That means it slows down the passage of food when the intestines are irritated and would produce diarrhea, so that the large intestine has time to do its job and resorb the fluid needed for the body to digest food. But since the fiber retains some fluid, it doesn’t allow the stool to dry out too much.

#33797 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks Pattyvaughn. I get it now and I feel very empowered by knowledge. Thanks to all and I will be lurking on some other threads for answers and maybe to answer a question some day!

#33798 Report Abuse
    Dori

Hi Leah. Lurking on this site is a very good thing. You learn so much. Even checking out and reading the posts on foods that aren’t for your own dog for whatever reason you still learn so much about nutrition. I think I probably lurked and learned on this site for a couple of years before I ever posted. Once you’ve gone though different experiences with your dogs and start to learn not only what works and what doesn’t but why, you’ll want to pass on your experiences and your opinions. The most important thing I’ve learned on this site is that we’re all trying to help each other out so that we can do the best for our animals. After a while it starts to feel like an extension of family and friends. Glad your here.

#33815 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks! Everyone has been so helpful and nice that I am sure that I will continue to participate in the ways you mentioned.

#33844 Report Abuse
    InkedMarie

Glad you’re sticking around, Leah!

#33853 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Thanks InkedMarie! I have learned more on this site in a week than I could have had I attended a veterinarian program! What an awesome and knowledgeable bunch!

#33913 Report Abuse
    Leah12345

Outcome: I am posting my results for anyone who is having the same problem with their dog. I tried the pumpkin (canned pure pumpkin) and so far I am having awesome results. Two tsp. of pumpkin mixed in with her Fromm kibble and the result has been 1/3 less poop, both in frequency and amount. It has only been two days, but I am hopeful. If anything changes, I will re-post, but for now I am very thankful for the help I received on this thread and I would highly recommend trying pumpkin for fiber if you are having the same problem. Leah

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.