Poultry free grain free help

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Poultry free grain free help

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Author
    Barbara W

My vet says I need to eliminate poultry from my dogs’ diet and try fish or lamb because of possible allergies. I have always fed adult chicken Orijens. What can you recommend?

#71957 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

I had the exact same problem. My sensitive pups were born into Orijen and all of a sudden in year two, appetite loss, scratching, and liquid diarrhea. My vet wasn’t helpful, tried to push pills & Science Diet.

I didn’t think I’d find a comparable kibble if I subtracted poultry, potato, egg, high glycemic fillers, you name it. Also, there’s too much weight loss with limited ingredient formulas. But I found it, thanks to this site.

Try Zignature Zssentials. It’s a 5 star formula under the 4 star brand Zignature. Looks & smells very close to Orijen Adult. Read the ingredients & see what it DOESN’T contain. I did a cold turkey change, had award winning stools within 48 hours.

I now change the topper per meal with good stuff like ZiwiPeak dry dehydrated & Weruva soft canned varieties (looks & smells like human grade). They now look & act like different dogs, I swear.

#72053 Report Abuse
    Barbara W

My dogs love orijens and have normal stools etch. No problems. They are scratching a lot and a little coughing. Vet said to elimitate chicken and beef for a few months to see if it stops. They don’t like fish and I want to stay with grain free. I also want to start rotation feeding to stop boredom that happens occasionally. And it has to be a company that does no animal testing. I thought I would try Orijens Tundra. I found wild calling canned but not sure if the best choice.

#72054 Report Abuse
    Barbara W

I noticed the Weruva selections most all contain chicken.

#72100 Report Abuse
    Pitlove

you don’t have to only stay with orijen even though it is a great brand. if you do why don’t you try the regional red or the tundra like you said? I was going to suggest six fish but you said they don’t like fish. Have you looked into Nature’s Variety? They have a venison and Lamb formula.

Ya Weruva pretty much always has chicken in it. Maybe try something that is LID with just duck, vension, lamb etc?

• This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Pitlove.
    • This reply was modified 8 years, 10 months ago by Pitlove.
    #72215 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’m interested in this conversation too. I’ve been trying to get my dog to lose weight and finally have some results. Now I want to get him off chicken and turkey because of possible allergies but have to watch calories or we’ll be right back where we started with weight. I’d like something with no fowl but low calories and low carbs. Any suggestions? Thanks.

#72216 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Canidae Pure, Annamaet Grain Free, Merrick LID or Backcountry, Grandma Lucy’s Pureformance, Addiction, Great Life Grain Free/Pioneer Naturals Grain Free, Go! Fit & Free, Hound and Gatos, Primal, Answers.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 9 months ago by pugmomsandy.
    #72218 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

Thank you. I’ll check them all. Surely there’s something I can trust in there. It took me over a year to get him to start going down in weight with Wellness Reduced Fat.

#72250 Report Abuse
    Barbara W

I wanted to stay with Orijens so I’ll try Tundra. I’m adding Wild Calling which they love as a rotational component. Still scratching so I don’t know how long it takes to see if chicken was problem. Since I found this review sight I have always looked for 5 star ratings but may have to lower my expectations. They all are on Benedryl twice daily but it hasn’t helped. I can’t afford allergy testing on all 3. The one that scratches the most is the one that has been on Orijens puppy since birth for a year. I have to assume there is something in it that is the problem but hopefully not in the adult recipes. Fingers crossed.

#72378 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I went into Merrick after having it recommended and found their grain free salmon/sweet potato. The fat, protein, carbs, and calorie per cup sound really good so I ordered a 4 lb bag which we will get Friday and see how he likes it. He’s still shaking his head and scratching at his ears after being on some meds from the vet so hopefully the change away from chicken will be our salvation.

#72562 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’ve started the Merrick salmon today and this dog food smells very strong. The dog is crazy for the smell alone. Not sure I’m going to stick with it if it runs us out of the house.

#72676 Report Abuse
    Kathleen C
    Participant

I’ve given Jack the Merrick Salmon last night and again this morning and he threw up a couple of hours later when we were coming home from our morning walk. I can’t believe it was the food since when changing food he gets very little of the new stuff. Could it happen that quickly with such a small amount of the salmon? I fed him the same tonight and am hoping I don’t have to give up trying to switch him away from chicken.

#73048 Report Abuse
    SdianeM M

Castor and Pollux Grain Free Poultry Free

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.