Potato allergies

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Potato allergies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Kim P

Among several other key ingredients in most dogfoods, my Australian cattle dog is allergic to potatoes; does that mean he’s also allergic to sweet potatoes and yams?– anyone know?… I’m having a difficult time finding food he can eat – as he’s also allergic to rice, flaxseed, & oat.

#37254 Report Abuse
    Shasta220

I’m not too sure as I’ve never dealt with potato allergies. If you have a food w/o any of those ingredients, you could possibly try to feed him some sweet potato and see if it does anything within a week or two.

#37257 Report Abuse
    Shawna

No, generally not. Sweet potato and white potatoes are not of the same family and it would be a coincidence if a dog was allergic or sensitive to both..

• This reply was modified 9 years, 11 months ago by Shawna.
    #37376 Report Abuse
    T
    Participant

I am curious to know how the allergy to potato was diagnosed. Was it based on a food trial or on blood or saliva testing?

I agree with Shawna, sweet potatoes are different than white potatoes and may be tolerated ok.

Fortunately, canines don’t have a big need for starches or grains in their diet, so if all else fails, you could consider a diet without them.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.