šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    batgrrly

Hello,
    Recently we have had to reevaluate our dogs food for several reasons:
    We were on California Natural, there was a recall
    Dogs are older 12 and 13
    Getting Over weight
    Digestion

I am sure this happens a lot. However, the mysterious pebbles that started showing in the house we noticed after we started going grain-free. After reading many labels, and the success I had for a while with the cat, we were using Canidae Pure or Chicken and Rice. After reading all these articles about grains, even though our vet said rice was pretty safe for digestion, oatmeal even better, we were trying to get to the grain free to see if it helps with digestive issues.

Problem is, many of these foods have either legumes or potatoes as filler. Now, for old dogs that already have gas issues, I was not sure about the legumes. But I had read that potatoes, being in the nightshade family, can cause some food allergy issues for dogs. So I thought I would stick to one that did mostly legumes.

Then the large leavings began. And more frequenly. I then surmised that legumes were being too much roughage for the dogs. The the crazy things happened with our boy dog. He has DM and had been having trouble actually going because he had no control over his back end because of DM and actually went less frequent. Although, I have been told this is a blessing. Then after the change to the foods with legumes, we noticed that little friends started popping out while he was sleeping. The horror of it all! Then our girl do started leaving little poopets around. I think some of that is the, well if he can not be house trained anymore, than why should I?

Has anyone else had their canine pals have this problem after switching to grain free? I am thinking of trying to go for limited ingredients next and sticking with rice or oats. Hmmmm.

#32831 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

I think I would just be glad they’re “solid”. Maybe you can try a pea-based or sweet potato-based food instead of lentil-based! A probiotic/digestive enzyme with feeds might be beneficial as well. I use grain-free but also grain-inclusive-but-gluten-free foods like Nature’s Logic or other food with just rice/millet/quinoa, no wheat/rye/oats. And check the ash content of the food. High ash can sometimes equate to solid little pebbles!

#32844 Report Abuse
    batgrrly

Yes, we were glad they are solid. Since the DM has started with Sydney, they were getting a bit loose. Then he firmed up. Then the one that had peas and chickpeas seems to be producing extra poo. Sorry, they are legumes not lentils.

I did look at the Matures Logic I think, is it the one with ALS? Lamb and Millet? I think I tried the cat version with the cat last year and he liked it for about 6 months, then I had to switch.

#32870 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Yes, Nature’s Logic is ALS and uses millet and the dog kibble is small.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.