šŸ± NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    Rea S

I have been reading now for the last week on what food to switch to. I’m driving myself beyond crazy. My baby is a 10year old lazy boy. He has a heart murmur and arthritis. He has aged so much in the last year. The only exercise he gets is swimming in the pool about 4 days a week. He will swim for several hours.
    For the last year he’s been on Chicken Soup Senior. My husband went to get him another bag and came home with the large breed. I knew something was wrong when my Buddy wouldn’t hardly eat it. He’s very food driven. The food actually smelled funny. Smelled stale. I threw that out and got him a bag of Whole Earth Farms Salmon and Whitefish. This doesn’t agree with him. He has bad gas and the kibble is very hard in texture.
    (PLEASE HELP ME WITH ANOTHER FOOD)

#103487 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

No such thing as a lazy dog, at any age. Something’s wrong.

Go back to your vet to determine at which level of heart murmur intensity (there are 6 levels) Buddy has and if further diagnostics may show signs of a disease. Without knowing what you’re dealing with internally, all the food changes will not help him. You then streamline your dog’s health needs with the appropriate and consistent exercise regiment (especially walks), food/supplements and pain medication.

Get the Zignature line of dog kibble AND get Dasuquin with MSM. Both from Chewy.com. Start immediately. If it’s safe, per your dog’s blood work, give him Previcox nightly right after dinner. Keep everything fresh and sealed.

#103513 Report Abuse
    a c

I like to supplement my 10 years old small breed with Dasuquin. How do I know whether I need Dasuquin or Dasuquin w MSM?

#103519 Report Abuse
    Nancy J K

Hi
    I have a mixed terrier, she is 13 years old. I noticed an immediate change in her energy, when I changed her food from Blue to Orijen SENIOR. It was like night and day! My dog’s arthritis was so bad she couldn’t even jump on the sofa. I have had her on Orijen now for 4 years, and for my dog it has been extremely successful. 2 weeks ago, this 13 year old dog caught a rabbit! That should tell you something!

It is a little pricey, but it is worth it. My other two dogs are on Orijen Fit and Trim. It’s amazing!. It’s important to know, none of the meat in Orijen or Acana come from China. Just because a product says made in USA, you need to know where the products used in the food are imported.
    Good Luck.
    Oh one more thing… I used to get my dogs food from Chewy. Unfortunately, they sold the Orijen and Acana contract to PetSmart. I now order through http://www.hollywoodfeed.com
    Nancy

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Nancy J K.
    • This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by Nancy J K.
    #103527 Report Abuse
    Rea S

Are they both dry kibble? Or is one a supplement? Also he is scheduled for an MRI next week.

#103528 Report Abuse
    Rea S

In will check into Origen. He’s never done really great on extremely high protein food. I don’t really understand that. He can eat Canidae and Chicken soup mature just fine, but years ago when I had him on TOTW, SOLID GOLD, and BLUE actually made him very sick. Now the Whole Earth doesn’t agree either. Just don’t really understand.

#103639 Report Abuse
    Linda C

My little ones have been eating Acana from Canada. Can no longer get it from Canada only Kentucky! What do you Recommend?
    I have a 4yr old Papillon and 5yr old Pomeranian and I ONLY want the Best for them.

#103640 Report Abuse
    Yx

Linda C – Are you looking for a formula made in Canada or is USA OK?

#103641 Report Abuse
    Linda C

Acana from Canada had been great… then when I heard about the plant in Kentucky and that dogs were getting sick from it, I was afraid to order it. What do you feed your dog/dogs? I ordered Horizon Legacy the last time, but was really wondering what do you feed your dog/dogs? I trust your judgement!
    Thank you!

#104061 Report Abuse
    Judy G

I too have done a lot of research over the years on dog food. Trying to find that right food for my pups. I am feed all 3 of my standard poodles Canidae Pure Sea. One pup has sever food allergies. They are doing great on it. No digestive issues, no ear infections, no diarrhea or vomiting.

#104115 Report Abuse
    Carol Y

Just curious about how you say Acana USA made in Kentucky is getting dogs sick. I just started my 10yr maltese on Acana GRASSLANDS made in Kentucky. It is listed as an editor’s choice. Please confirm. Thank you, Carol Y

#104128 Report Abuse
    Linda C

I had read this on some of the reviews so was very hesitant to order from the Kentucky kitchen! I hope the reviews were untrue. I always read reviews before making a final decision. My girls have been on Canadian Orijen or Acana for 4 yrs. I ordered a different food but they eat whats in their Acana bowl. I free feed, neither has a weight problem due to a fenced yard so they get to do lots of running and playing. I would love to hear your views!
    Linda

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.