Please advise on a good dry dog food for a sensitive stomach

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Please advise on a good dry dog food for a sensitive stomach

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Gene L

I have a middle aged mixed breed (half golden retriever) and he is a little underweight at around 55 pounds. I’ve taken him to the vet because he doesn’t seem interested in his food although he will eat it when he gets hungry enough. I don’t think it is an appetite issue because he will gobble down chicken and rice I feed him after a vomit occurrence (which is not frequent). The vet recommends allergy testing.

Rather than do that, I’ve tried to find dry dog food for a sensitive stomach that works for him. The last two things I’ve tried is Ultra Healthy Weight with Salmon and Hills Science Diet Sensitive Stomach and Skin. With both of these, he would eat when he got hungry enough and could go a month or two before he would vomit.

Ideally, I’d like to find a dry dog food that he enjoys eating and doesn’t upset his stomach. Any advise would be most appreciated.

#145586 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“I’ve taken him to the vet because he doesn’t seem interested in his food although he will eat it when he gets hungry enough. I don’t think it is an appetite issue because he will gobble down chicken and rice I feed him after a vomit occurrence (which is not frequent). The vet recommends allergy testing.”.

Yes, there is your answer. Continue to work closely with your vet. There is no magical food that will make your dog better.
    Regarding allergy testing, I would consult a veterinary dermatologist.

PS: Did you have lab work done? CBC, Lytes, etc.
    That would be a good place to start. Seniors are vulnerable to all kinds of ailments. First step is to rule out medical issues.
    Instead of changing the food. After all the dog may have a medical condition that will respond to the appropriate treatment such as prescription meds. Please talk to the vet that examined your dog. There are no veterinary healthcare professionals here.

#145587 Report Abuse
    joanne l

Try Purina Pro Plan sensitive skin and stomach, they have it in lamb and salmon. A lot of dogs love it. I just talked to my friend that works in a kennel and the dogs would not eat their food. So after a while of trying to add can food in order for them to eat they got Purina One and they are eating all their food now. They love it.

#145588 Report Abuse
    Nadia K
    Participant

My pup is not particularly a fan of dry kibble. I have tried several brands over the last few months and its always the same story. She will often just sniff it and walk away. However, I have found that if I add a little low sodium chicken broth or some tiny pieces of meat or a spoon of canned food she will gobble it right down.

#145615 Report Abuse
    Gene L

Thanks everyone for your quick responses.

Please forgive me, my intention was only to get advice on dog food that has worked well for those who have dogs with sensitive stomachs, not to seek medical advice.

I will definitely try the Purina Pro Plan for Sensitive Skin and Stomach.

I’ll also pick up some canned food to add a little to his dry kibble.

Thanks you all again and thanks for this extremely helpful website!

#145680 Report Abuse
    anonymous

“The vet recommends allergy testing”.

I would not ignore the advice of a veterinary healthcare professional that has examined your dog.
    “sensitive stomach” is a symptom not a diagnosis.

Best of luck.

#145784 Report Abuse
    Mary Lynn L

You can try Hill Science diet. My dog also has a sensitive stomach, he is allergic to chicken so that brand didn’t help because almost all of Hill’s contain some type of chicken. I also give my 50lb dog 1/2 of a Prilosec 2x daily.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.