picking up a puppy in a couple of weeks.

Dog Food Advisor Forums Canine Nutrition picking up a puppy in a couple of weeks.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    matt n

First off, I’m glad I found this site. If I hadn’t, this puppy would have eventually been given the Cesar’s brand of wet dog food. It’s been interesting to read about rotating foods, calcium levels, grain-free foods and other things. I’ve mainly been looking at the large breed and giant breed thread as it’s very informative but, my dog will not be a large breed. She’s more of a medium breed. By math she’s ~68% golden retriever and the rest is toy poodle. The puppy is now 6 weeks old and the breeder estimated she would end up being 30-35lbs. So, what I’m wondering is, does my puppy not being classified as a large breed change the food she should eat? What about the calcium levels?

Right now she’s eating Life’s Abundance along with Nature’s Variety Raw Medallions for treats(not sure if this info is relevant but here it is nonetheless).

I was eying Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch or Meadow Feast as they’re pretty high rated and I’ve seen tons of positive reviews.

Any suggestions or information is greatly appreciated! Thanks!

• This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by matt n.
    • This topic was modified 9 years, 7 months ago by matt n.
    #49246 Report Abuse
    matt n

Ok so I’ve done a little more research but I’m still not sure about the calcium and it’s relation to medium breed dogs vs large & giant breeds.

Also, what I think I’m going to do is start off with Dr. Tim’s Kinesis then switch to Earthborn Holistic Coastal Catch and then Victor Select Lamb Meal & Brown Rice. What I’m thinking is, this should show me which food (grain vs grain free, chicken vs herring vs lamb) my dog does best on. Is this legitimate reasoning? And what amount of time do people suggest keeping the puppy on a particular food before rotating to the next? Thanks

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.