Phytoestrogens and reproductive issues

Dog Food Advisor Forums Dog Food Ingredients Phytoestrogens and reproductive issues

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • Author
    Lynn J

A random question…. I was in another forum (Not DogFoodAdvisor) and several people were suggesting that dog foods that contained pea products, peas, lentils, etc, and/or flax had a high enough levels of phytoestrogens that they were having difficulties having their female dogs get pregnant. So then when they go back to their Purina quality of food, their dogs were fine. Not to get into the discussion of breeding dogs, but has anyone on here heard of this? Any scientific links?

#68537 Report Abuse
    Tami K

I’m also looking for information on this. I currently feed Fromm, but am going to breed my girl this season and would like the best outcome. I have heard also that flax and peas are bad for reproduction and the fromm I’m feeding has peas. It is a ways down the list but I’m not sure if I should switch. Its hard to find a good food without peas or flax. Anybody with ideas????

#77879 Report Abuse
    Michelle C

My understanding is that peas are not a phytoestrogen but soybeans, flaxseed, and lentils are. I have feed Fromms for years and have not had a problem but it does make me concerned that most grain-free foods seem to have more phytoestrogens. Not sure how much is too much? Suggestions? Raising a breeding girl so keeping an eye out.

#79020 Report Abuse
    Alex p

There is growing interest in the potential health threats posed by endocrine-disrupting chemicals (EDCs) to the reproductive system. Soybean is the most important dietary source of isoflavones, an important class of phytoestrogen. While consumption of soy food or phytoestrogen supplements has been frequently associated with beneficial health effects, the potentially adverse effects on development, fertility, and the reproductive and endocrine systems are likely underappreciated. Here we review the available epidemiological, clinical and animal data on the effects of soy and phytoestrogens on the development and function of the male and female reproductive system, and weigh the evidence as to their detrimental impact.

#87905 Report Abuse
    Linda B

I have been feeding FROMM Game Bird and Tunalini to my dogs for about 2 years and have recently added the Duckenpfeffer. All of my breeding females have stopped getting pregnant! I begin doing progesterone testing and A-I’s in an attempt to turn things around. Today was another BIG disappointment…not pregnant again. I asked the Vet what it could possibly be and she said she had recently read that Peas could be the culprit. I hurried home to read the ingredients and found all three of the FROMM recipes that I am feeding contain Peas, Pea Protein, and Pea Flour. I have 2 breeder friends feeding the same food and having the same problems. I have another breeder friend feeding FROMM Chicken A LA Veg and her dogs do not have fertility issues. I checked the ingredients on the Chicken A LA Veg and NO PEAS of any kind. I believe there is a correlation between the peas and the infertility. It has been a costly and disappointing experience and I am now switching my dog food. :o(

• This reply was modified 7 years, 8 months ago by Linda B.
    #87922 Report Abuse
    crazy4cats
    Participant

That’s very interesting. I hope you have better success with the new food.

#96747 Report Abuse
    Crystal P

Look into Sportdogfood.com Elite series.

#98383 Report Abuse
    Lisa R

How long does it take for the phytoestrogens to get out of there systems before breeding reoccurring? I have been feeding Fromm beef and Fromm puppy (both grain free ) but they are loaded with peas ,lentils……pea meal.

#98952 Report Abuse
    Michael M

Lisa – From when I was researching phytoestrogens for my own physical health, I learned that they tend to cycle out of your system pretty quickly – I think within a day. It will take a bit longer for a human to go back to normal hormonal cycles, and I’m sure with pets it will be the same. Give your dog a week or two with normal food, and it should be all set.

#108384 Report Abuse
    Samantha S

We were feeding Acana Lamb and Okanagan Apple. Originally, it was an excellent quality food, but over time I saw a significant decline in condition and temperament. Specifically, my dogs were fence fighting constantly, my girls either stopped cycle or were unable to get pregnant, loss of muscle tone and dull dry coats. Finally, I looked at the food label: Acana added a load of phytoestrogens: whole green peas, red lentils, pinto beans, chickpeas, green lentils, whole yellow peas, lentil fiber, and more.

I switched food some one phytoestrogen-free, and we are back to our beautiful, sweet, large litter size kennel that we once were.

#108410 Report Abuse
    Jenna

i know this post is old, but here is research showing many ingredients containing phytoestrogens. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/18922017

#111699 Report Abuse
    Kimberly L

I feed Pure Balance Grain free small breed and my litters have not been affected. I’ve fed this food for almost 6 years now. My girls have regular cycles as well.

#113436 Report Abuse
    Elizabeth C

Samantha, what food did you switch to?

#119897 Report Abuse
    Denise P
    Participant

Does anyone have a good brand of dog food that does not cause the fertility problems? I have had bitches not get pregnant or have issues once puppies are here. All pretested before breeding and still having issues so it must be the food. I just switched to 4 health regular not the grain free ones. Hoping this helps but if anyone can give some insight into some good foods I would appreciate it.

#124661 Report Abuse
    Jeff P

I found a great food company that addresses this very issue http://www.flourishpets.com I love it!

#129811 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

I have been feeding Diamond Hi Energy for about 2 years. All of a sudden my female dobie had 2 small litters, 1 was 5 and 2nd was 4. prior to diamond she had large litters 11 and 12. I also noticed her heat cycle changed, like a month early or late. I started researching and i did find that it could be a low sperm or low estrogen count due to an E deficiency which i already was supplementing that along with a good vitamin supplement. So then my other female i pulled out of the pen so she would not breed her 1st heat. A few days later she started her heat, 3 wks later i put her back out in the pen. almost a month after she looked like she was coming into heat again, So started watching daily, a week later she has a pup. I am stumped at this point as she only had one. A singleton birth. I am still trying to figure out how she got pregnant, like a devine intervention. lol. So then i tried researching again, nothing that made sense. so i researched singleton births and then the phytoestrogens came up. I am so pissed at Diamond right now as their delivery guy was really pushing for breeders to use their food. Giving discounts. Which dont get me wrong Diamond is a good food. IF YOU’RE NOT BREEDING and free choicing. These phytoestrogens are screwing with the reproductive system. I free choice so my dogs were getting slammed with this crap. I wrote Diamond about it and never got a response. I lost well over $30,000 over this escapade of theirs. WHY ARE THEY PUTTING ESTROGEN IN OUR DOGS FOOD NOW.?? Well i think i can figure that out. They are trying to put breeders out of business, as they are pushing for you to adopt. We wouldnt have to adopt or cause shelters to fill up if people would keep their promise to give their animals a forever home.
    Anyway the pea’s they are putting in the dog food are natural contraceptives.
    In the instance of phytoestrogens, they mimic or interfere with estrogen produced in the body by binding to estrogen receptors. This could lead to delaying puberty and infertility.
    check this link out.
    https://drjeandoddspethealthresource.tumblr.com/post/140578288096/phytoestrogens-dog-cat?fbclid=IwAR0AftWW71uzf6xcfBenuwkusyc21VWpYAl9K06wOf8W6VWb2oDv-K3F1xE#.XEIgBVVKipq

I have returned back to the basic’s. Purina, never had any issue’s with purina products

• This reply was modified 5 years, 1 month ago by Tammie W. Reason: forgot a statement
    #137849 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

Has anyone had a neutered dog who consumed these phytoestrogens, become aggressive? My male who is not neutered had become very aggressive toward the females. After he has been off of the phyoestrogens for about 6 or 7 mo. he has went back to normal and no agression.

• This reply was modified 4 years, 9 months ago by Tammie W.
    #137851 Report Abuse
    Samantha S

I have had aggression from both male and female. I thought I was losing my mind; it was so crazy around here. But when I changed foods to phytoestrogen-free we became a happy peaceful household again.

#143895 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

Now that my clan has been off the phytoestrogens things have gone back to normal. I notice a big difference in this newest litter after phyto’s. No fighting amongst each other. Parents behavior is back to normal playful puppy like behavior.
    Going back to Purina and making a veggie soup without phyto’s and adding that to their daily intake and a Multivitamin/Mineral is the best thing. I even make chicken noodle soup and or beef. I like to give them variety. I make up a big batch and make individual daily packs. Friderate them. About 8 to 10 days worth.
    It’s been 9 months , it was a good 6 months before i noticed the complete change and proper weight loss. So those phyto’s take quite awhile to leave their system. I was free choicing.

#150586 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

This food claims to be phytoestrogen free:

Holistic Blend Perfect Blend

https://myhealthypet.ca/index.php/component/tlpteam/team/the-perfect-blend?Itemid=204

#150926 Report Abuse
    DeAnna P
    Participant

New to this forum but want to say thank you for the info found, including testimonials and sources. I am trying to research phytoestrogens and lack of fertility, which seems to effect only some of my girls. Have feed the same grain free food duck protein for several years. It containins pea, sweet and white potatoes, and flax seed. I have noticed increased aggression between cycles, and more aggression at heat cycles, and these are young females. Currently working on homemade food recipes and will look over that thread next. Again, thank you

#157609 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

Yes, and it’s in alot of foods now. Causes overweight issue too especially if your dog is spayed or neutered. Read and recognize phytoestrogens in your dog food. Too much estrogen

#162729 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

yep there you go. more proof

#162826 Report Abuse
    Nancy N
    Participant

A couple of years ago I became interested in the phytoestrogen issue in dog food. I switched to a dog food that contained little if any phytoestrogens and produced two litters with good success. I recently bred a bitch that had been on my dog food for over 8 months, producing a very good litter last fall. I bred her in July, to a very well known stud dog of excelloent quality, she went to live with someone else after about 2 weeks post breeding, diet was changed to a food containing Wheat, oats, sorghum, corn gluten meal, whole corn, flax seed, dried beet pulp, and green peas, among other animal byproducts. This was supposedly a very high quality feed. She had a normal gestation. She whelped on schedule. She produced three normal puppies, and 4 dead puppies with cleft pallets and no ears. Can’t figure out why. All other environmental causes have been eliminated, as well as a miss-breeding. Could this have been caused by the food and high phytoestrogens?

#162855 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

Yes i would say it was. My one girl , produced 2 still borns in first two litters, and on her last litter she had on pup with cleft foot, i believe is the after affects of being taken off the Diamond Food. So she is retired in a new home. My other girl before Diamond dog food, she produced large litters, after having her on it for a few months her litter went down to 4 , 5 and 6. Been off the food for 2 years now, so waiting to see how this next litter produce’s. I went back to the basic’s and home grown food. Kibble is a side dish (purina) for my kids.
    I came across this site the other day. Explains alot.
    https://www.thebarkspace.com/best-dog-food-without-phytoestrogens/
    I am still doing research, staying informed as much as possible

• This reply was modified 3 years, 5 months ago by Tammie W.
    #162857 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

You really need to get them off the grain free foods. Has been linked to DCM cardial issue’s

#162858 Report Abuse
    Tammie W

You do know DCM is linked to grain free foods.??

#164610 Report Abuse
    Carol S
    Participant

@tam501
    I’m new here.
    I like to buy the Jack Russell Terrier breed.
    Can you suggest which kind of food makes them better-looking dogs when they grow?

Viewing 28 posts - 1 through 28 (of 28 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.