Parvo surviver with GI issues

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Parvo surviver with GI issues

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Christine U

Hi everyone,
    I seriously need advice.
    I’ve been to regular vets and holistic vets.
    I have a 4 year old Parsons Terrier/Shitz Tsu mix with bad GI issues. He’s had so many tests and it seems to be food related. We’ve tried so many foods and right now he’s on Royal Canin White Fish and Potato both wet and dry. He still has the occasional ‘gulping’ type issue but no diarrhea or vomiting.
    Recently I found Grandma Z’s grain free fish and potato and he loves that and the ingredients seem to be a bit better than Royal Canin.
    Here’s my issue. First…I’m ALWAYS open to finding the best food I can for him but we are getting ready to RV full time. My concern is finding his food on the road. Every vet has to order it and it can take 1-2 weeks. I plan to carry a lot with us, but I know there are so many new grain free foods out there. Maybe there’s one I haven’t heard of.
    Any tips, advice, recommendations?
    Thanks so much!
    Christine

#66990 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Hi Christine, the Gulping is Acid Reflux, my boy started getting this when on the Royal Canine HP that’s when all Patches problems started, 2013, fast forward 2 years, Patch had Endoscope & Biopsies done December 2014 & he has Helicobacter, IBD, they get real bad acid reflux, burping, heartburn, he was put on triple therapy Metronidazole, Amoxicillin & Zantac cause he cant take Losec but they are normally use Losec, he was on this 3 weeks, as soon as the triple therapy stopped within 1 week Patch was gulping & swallowing again, at night early hours of morning is worse, I’ve been giving 3ml Mylanta this really heaps…Patch was put on another triple therapy Metronidazole, Clarithromycin & Zantac, the Clarithromycin made him so ill, I had to stop all meds, that was last week, I have also stopped any kibbles, no more kibble, I have been buying turkey breast mince 99% fat free about 1 kilo =(2.2 pounds) I add 1 egg & mix thru mince & then I make about 4 long meatloaf & with the left over turkey breast mince I make real little turkey balls as treats, I put on baking tray & bake, I boil a heap of butternut pumkin & freeze 20g squares, I section the turkey when cooked & freeze, to 1 cup of cooked turkey after I’ve mashed all up, I add about 1 heap spoon boiled pumkin….pumkin soothes the GI tract…… Patch is on this diet for 6 weeks to let everything rest after the strong antibiotics made him ill….

You need a real low fat diet as fat makes acid reflux worse, high protein kibbles normally have high fat, also limited ingredient diets are best, if you can, feed a wet diet, as kibble is too over processed & makes things worse with acid reflux & gulping.. Your dog is small, you could cook & freeze like I’m doing, boil a heap of potatoes & freeze sections for the day & buy some fresh white fish & freeze after cooked. I use to use tin tuna & spring water then I tried tin salmon but the fat was too high in the salmon…so far turkey breast has been the best…

“Wellness Simple” limited ingredient has Grainfree Salmon & Potatoes or Turkey & Potatoes in wet & dry, the fat is min-12% here’s their link to have a look, just scroll right down to the bottom for the Simple range, I use to feed the Duck & Oatmeal & the Lamb & Oatmeal as Patch cant eat potatoes & these flavours had the lowest fat, min-11% & min-12% fat but that’s min fat-11%, so u add another 1 & 1/2 more for max fat%…
    http://www.wellnesspetfood.com/recipes.aspx?pet=dog&ft=1#Complete

#66992 Report Abuse
    Christine U

Thanks for the reply. Vets have tried those meds for Chewie, plus Zantac, Prilosec, and Pepcid. Zantac was tolerated the best but still issues. Nothing made a significant difference that was life changing. He doesn’t tolerate beef, even plain chicken sometimes seems to bother him. He does love COD.
    I did not realize that about the kibble. I’ll have to read the percentages of his wet versus dry. He does tend to like the wet more. I know since we’ve taken him off grains, he’s done better.
    Thanks for the link. I will check that out!

#67004 Report Abuse
    Susan
    Participant

Oh, I forgot to mention the fat% in wet food seems lower but when converted to dry matter (Kibble) its high for example 4% fat in wet tin food is around 22% fat when converted, if it was a kibble, that’s why I have to cook, if you live America you have lower fat% in wet food, then I have in Australia.. your best to get 2% fat & under for wet tin food, the Wellness Complete Health Senior has the lowest at 3% fat in the wet, or the “Wellness Petite Entrees Mini Filets” only the ones in gravy are 2% fat..

Have you have a Endoscope & Biopsies done for the Helicobacter? I found with the Helicobacter all the ant acid don’t work…. Zantac worked the best for Patch also, Zantac doesn’t affect the bowel, where Losec affects the bowel & gave Patch bad wind pain & sloppy greenie/black poos…..another thing I’ve just read on Dr Karen Becker site about fiber & prebiotics don’t use kibbles with Prebiotics Beet Pulp, FOS, a lot of vet diets use Beet Pulp & FOS & MOS… for a healthy dog with a healthy Gut, prebiotics are good but for a dog with GI problems Prebiotics can make things worse, another reason Patch was taken off kibble…The link has been put up on the Face Book group…

There’s a group on Face Book called “Dogs with Inflammatory Bowel Disorder” a few dogs on that site have bad acid reflux & stomach problems, the group was called, “Dogs with Stomach & Bowel problems” but the name was changed about 3 months ago..

#67008 Report Abuse
    Christine U

I just read the fat on his RC dry and it said 7.5 and his wet 3.5%. I think he’d eat all wet. I always thought all wet was too much overload for his gut, but since fat is half, maybe it would be better.

All his issues have only affected upper GI. All his burping and gulping episodes never included diarrhea. I do hear his tummy rumble and he does have the occasional toot. The vet wanted to do an endoscopy as the next step but I didn’t. I wasn’t sure I wanted to put him through another procedure and if it would actually tell us anything. It seems to be controllable with food so I wanted to try that. (I have IBS and have been through too many procedures all for nothing). The food change to Royal Canin cut his symptoms by 75% or more so I know we’re on the right track. Plus a gal at the vets has a dog with super sensitive stomach. She told me all the stuff her dog tested for, procedures….eek! And it told her nothing….her dog just has a sensitive stomach. I know all dogs are different but Chewie has been through hell more than once so I try to be careful with him and avoid unnecessary stuff.

I’ve tried a couple different probiotics and like you said, did not agree with him.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.