Orijen dry – too "rich" ?

Dog Food Advisor Forums Editors Choice Forum Orijen dry – too "rich" ?

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Author
    Regina D

Has anyone had a problem with Orijen dry? My dog, standard poodle eats Whole Earth canned mostly. I keep Orijen dry out at all times. I noticed when he eats the dry he has loose stools. He is a standard poodle.

#42799 Report Abuse
    LexiDog

It can be too rich for some dogs. It depends on the dog. My girl does fantastic on it. Firm small poops. Others don’t do so well. Or maybe your dog doesn’t tolerate one of the ingredients very well.

#42806 Report Abuse
    cindy q
    Participant

Regina how old is your standard?

#42819 Report Abuse
    Hound Dog Mom
    Participant

If you by “too rich” you’re suggesting that the food has too much protein and/or fat – Orijen has less protein and fat than WEF canned. So if your dog does well on WEF canned Orijen wouldn’t be “too rich” for your dog. There are a variety of reasons why your dog may be experiencing loose stools after consuming Orijen. It could be the result of an ingredient sensitivity, it could be that your dog doesn’t tolerate dry kibble well (as opposed to the moist canned) or the dog could just be adjusting to the new food. All dogs are different and some just don’t do well on certain foods. There have been quite a few reports of dogs not doing well on the new Orijen formulas (they removed the white potato and added legumes). You can try giving the dog more time and supplementing the diet with probiotics and a little canned pumpkin, sometimes this can help with loose stools.

#42884 Report Abuse
    Regina D

Thanks for the “feed”back. Alf is a 5 year old male standard poodle who we rescued about 6 weeks ago. Your answers make sense. I was told he ate canned in foster home. He is tolerating canned WEF very well. In fact he loves it. I am in the habit of always leaving dry available. He doesn’t eat much of it, but every time I see some gone, I notice the loose stools. I think I will try another brand. Any suggestions?

#42891 Report Abuse
    Lynn J

Some people switch from the Orijen to Acana. Same company and good quality. Most dogs will experience loose stools when switching foods, unless you go slowly.

#42895 Report Abuse
    zcRiley

Two myths. A food is “too protein rich” & loose stools is directly related to a food. Your dog will urinate out the extra protein he doesn’t need. Either feed canned or dry, different types of food digest at different rates causing imbalance in his tract. Check for Giardia. And do not leave any kibble “out at all times”. I’m sure you wouldn’t leave your breakfast cereal “out at all times”.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.