🐱 NEW!

Introducing the Cat Food Advisor!

Independent, unbiased reviews without influence from pet food companies

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Karin L

As I research dog food brands, I have narrowed it down to a couple of options but now need to determine which protein choice would be best. There are many options out there – chicken, beef, lamb, venison, bison, duck, and lamb. Is one considered better than the other?

Karin L

#38875 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

As long as your dog doesn’t have intolerances towards any of those, switch between all of them 🙂

#38883 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Variety is considered better than lack of variety. All proteins have a different amino acid profile, so feeding variety helps to ensure that your dog has the optimum balance of amino acids. Also, some believe that dogs are less likely to develop allergies and intolerances if they are not constantly exposed to the same ingredients.

#38892 Report Abuse
    aquariangt

out of curiosity, do you believe that is true BC? the allergies comment, ive heard it as well, but haven’t ever noticed it myself so not sure if its a myth or not

#38896 Report Abuse
    Tina

Dogs can have bad allergies to the proteins as well as grains and sometimes even potatoes. If you are worried about your dog having allergies to something just ask your vet for a food allergy test for your dog and that will tell you if he has any allergies at all.

#38897 Report Abuse
    Tina

My neighbor has a Yorkshire Terrier who is 18 years old and is allergic it nearly everything.

#38935 Report Abuse
    theBCnut

Food allergy tests are expensive and give both false negative and false positive responses, so they really are not better than doing your own food trial.

Hi Aquarianqt
    I don’t know. What I do know is that every dog I know of who had food intolerances was fed the same thing long term. That doesn’t mean that feeding everything only short term will prevent allergies though.

Actually, Micah was only 8 weeks old when I got him and was already showing symptoms, but he had several different issues that likely contributed to his food issues.

• This reply was modified 10 years ago by theBCnut.
    #39582 Report Abuse
    Gail S

are there any products on editors choice that have NO chicken product?

#39586 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

The Honest Kitchen’s Zeal formula does not have chicken. It was an Editor’s Choice in March. Orijen has the 6 Fish formula which is just fish. Acana Singles doesn’t have chicken, I think. Also limited ingredient diets tend to have chicken-free options like Nature’s Variety Instinct. Currently, Merrick’s Whole Earth Farms has a poultry-free formula along with Castor & Pollux. Nutrisource grain free Seafood Select and PureVita.

#63928 Report Abuse
    pugmomsandy
    Participant

Not on the EC list but American Natural Premium Grain Free Buffalo and Grain Free Ocean Fish Meal recipes are chicken free.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • The forum ‘Editors Choice Forum’ is closed to new topics and replies.