Online pet pharmacy recommendations

Dog Food Advisor Forums Diet and Health Online pet pharmacy recommendations

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Author
    John H

My vet stopped carrying the heart worm meds I use so I want to get them online. From what I’ve seen, every online pet pharmacy has terrible reviews. Help.

#82145 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I don’t trust online pharmacies, I know some folks order from Australia, Canada and such places, because often they don’t require a prescription. However, there is a lot of counterfeit stuff out there, also if the meds are not stored properly or exposed to extreme temperatures they could be ineffective.
    Didn’t your vet recommend an alternative product?

#82151 Report Abuse
    anonymously

“Many online pet pharmacies are reputable. Some, however, may be businesses breaking Federal, State, and sometimes, International laws. These illegal online pharmacies may sell medicines that are counterfeit, outdated, mislabeled, or incorrectly formulated. The medicines may not contain the actual drug or may contain incorrect amounts of drug. Some may not work as well if the product is old (expired) or has been stored in conditions that were too hot, cold, or humid. Others may not have the proper directions for use. If you are unhappy with the products you ordered, you may not be able to get your money back from an illegal online pharmacy”.

Excerpt from: http://www.fda.gov/AnimalVeterinary/ResourcesforYou/AnimalHealthLiteracy/ucm203000.htm

#82152 Report Abuse
    CockalierMom

John,

I prefer to use Heartgard and my vet only carries the meds that have everything in them. I have been using Drs. Foster and Smith for over 10 years without a single problem. They have been in the pharmacy business since the catalog days long before internet pharmacies started popping up. They are accredited and reputable plus their prices are usually better than other places.

#82154 Report Abuse
    John H

They recommended Sentinel and stopped carrying Sentinel Spectrum that I’ve been using for two years. I went ahead and used the regular Sentinel last month. The Spectrum kills more intestinal parasites and my dog loves it. She didn’t like the regular Sentinel at all.

I have looked at Drs. Foster and Smith, they have Vet-VIPPS accreditation but still got lots of bad reviews. I may give them a try.

Thanks for the replies.

• This reply was modified 8 years, 1 month ago by John H.
    #82158 Report Abuse
    anonymously

I think you worry too much 🙂
    I use Sentinel, no problems noted. How do you know your dog doesn’t like it?

PS: I have used Heartgard in the past (without issues) but I had a dog that was in the herding breed family, so I switched.
    I have used Spectrum products (Intercepter) too, but to tell the truth, I am happier using less chemicals whenever possible.

#82166 Report Abuse
    John H

She just wouldn’t eat the regular Sentinel. I had to try Disguising it with food several times, just a hassle. She loves the Sentinel Spectrum, gobbling it up like a treat.

#82190 Report Abuse
    anonymously

Well, you only have to give it once every 4 to 6 weeks (depending on the area you live in and what your vet recommends).
    Just put the pill in a bite of hamburger or something. Surely you can come up with a creative solution. Best of luck.

#82194 Report Abuse
    Bobby dog

Hi John H:
    Have you discussed ordering on-line with your Vet? They may have an on-line pharmacy they work with. Both my small and large animal Vet’s have on-line pharmacies they will write an Rx for their clients. It’s very convenient, they take care of all the necessary info the pharmacy requires, and all the client needs to do is set up an account for payment. I have only used my large animal Vet’s service because they did not carry the med I needed. My small animal Vet is very close by so picking up meds is never an issue and so far, other than a compounded Rx, any I have needed through the years they keep in stock.

I also do not trust ordering an Rx on-line other than through my Vet. Too many counterfeit meds out there IMO.

#82206 Report Abuse
    John H

anonymously, the major reason I would rather use the Spectrum is because it kills more intestinal parasites.

Thanks Bobby, I’ll stop by and talk to them.

#82207 Report Abuse
    DogFoodie

Hi John,

I buy mine at my vet, but they have a great price and card what I want, so I’m lucky. Last time I took my two in for a check-up, I ended up winning a six month supply box for one of my dogs. I was so happy!

I have read that there are guidelines regarding heartworm preventatives. If you don’t buy it from certain places, and administer as prescribed, and your dog ends up with heartworms, you won’t be covered under their warranty. Just something for you to check into before you place an order.

My integrative medicine vet, whom I always see for wellness, uses Sentinel Spectrum for her own dogs and recommended it for mine as well.

#82209 Report Abuse
    John H

Good to know. Thanks DogFoodie.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.